SATA HDD problem

I recently hibernated my pc but now cannot restart the
pc, aparently it cannot find the NTLDR. So I copyed it
accross from another HDD (in the same pc both with XP
home installed) to se if that would solve the problem.
BUt it does not seem to have done anything except tell
the system it isn't a system disc. I've looked through
the KB for problems simular to this but they all involve
getting into the OS that has the problem (which I can't
do)

The HDDs in the system are
2 x 200gb (one has XP home on it)
1 x 80gb (this one has a fresh install of XP home on it)
1 x 8gb

Just when I get things working a bit faster this goes and
happens, typical!

Thanks for the help,

Dan

bar

NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM Not Found

If you get an error that NTLDR is not found during bootup,

If you have FAT32 partitions, it is much simpler than with NTFS.
Just boot with a Win98 floppy and copy the NTLDR or NTDETECT.COM files
from the i386 directory to the root of the C:\ drive.

For NTFS:

Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the
installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
Enter in the administrator password when requested
Enter in the following commands (X: is replaced by the actual drive letter
that is assigned to the CD ROM drive.
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C\:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:\
Take out the CD ROM and type exit

"Daniel Webb" wrote:

> I recently hibernated my pc but now cannot restart the
> pc, aparently it cannot find the NTLDR. So I copyed it
> accross from another HDD (in the same pc both with XP
> home installed) to se if that would solve the problem.
> BUt it does not seem to have done anything except tell
> the system it isn't a system disc. I've looked through
> the KB for problems simular to this but they all involve
> getting into the OS that has the problem (which I can't
> do)
>
> The HDDs in the system are
> 2 x 200gb (one has XP home on it)
> 1 x 80gb (this one has a fresh install of XP home on it)
> 1 x 8gb
>

> Just when I get things working a bit faster this goes and
> happens, typical!
>

> Thanks for the help,
>

> Dan

thanks for the reply so soon, I've executed the commands
and copyed the files accross from the CD-ROM to the
correct HDD, but it is not booting still. When I tried
to run partitiob magic on the other HDD it said the
system had just come out of hibernation and please
restart (which that HDD hadn't).

The disc is fine have neer had problems with it untill I
put it into Hibernation, is there a way of fooling it
into starting up normally with that disc? Maybe it willl
reckognise it after that?

thanks for the reply,

Dan

If you've not run a diagnostic on the disk, there's no way to know for sure
the disk is fine. First order of business with a boot disk failure notice
is to check the disk. No, there is no way of fooling it in to starting up
normally, you must find the source of the issue. If the disk diagnostic
turns up nothing, then it is likely the setup is corrupt as the system is
not reading the disk.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User