Thanks for the heads up!

"Harry" <harry_wz@NOSPAMyahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:9cg3311ru3cfsk0fhfumoe7ktkq4t8g8mo@4ax.com...
> Asus has the release version of 1006 for download

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Harry" <harry_wz@NOSPAMyahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Asus has the release version of 1006 for download.

Not long ago, someone posted that they could not have confidence in a
motherboard that had new versions of firmware released as frequently as the
A8N-SLi.

I feel exactly the opposite way. I am very happy to know that ASUS are
working hard to make sure that this board is bug free and best of breed.

Well done ASUS I say.

Jon

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

1007.002 beta is also out.

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/Socket_939/NVIDIA_Chipset/nForce4_SLI/A8N-SLI_Deluxe/

3200+ wrote:
> "Harry" <harry_wz@NOSPAMyahoo.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Asus has the release version of 1006 for download.
>

> Not long ago, someone posted that they could not have confidence in a
> motherboard that had new versions of firmware released as frequently as the
> A8N-SLi.
>
> I feel exactly the opposite way. I am very happy to know that ASUS are
> working hard to make sure that this board is bug free and best of breed.

It means the board was released without sufficient testing. But how
would we all feel if the board release was delayed?

This is the first BIOS for an nForce 4 product that has gone out in the
wild, I think they probably had a thing or two to learn, so I don't
doubt that there are/were problems, and I don't blame them.

At least the problems are being fixed, thats a good thing.

Ben

> It means the board was released without sufficient testing. But how would
> we all feel if the board release was delayed?

In the long run, we'd be happier IMHO :)

Cheers, Rob.

"Rob Nicholson" <rob.nicholson@nospam-unforgettable.com> wrote in message
>> It means the board was released without sufficient testing. But how
>> would we all feel if the board release was delayed?
>
> In the long run, we'd be happier IMHO :)
>
> Cheers, Rob.

Every single motherboard I've bought over the years, Abit, Gigabyte, MSI,
AMD, and Asus, have all had atleast little glitches at first. The difference
is that Asus puts out new bioses to address potential problems MUCH more
frequently than any other mobo manufacturer. There were some problems with
the Abit and Gigabyte boards that were never addressed, and bios updates
were few and far between. To be honest though, my A8N-SLI DLX has been 100%
trouble free since I bought it 1 month ago, and with all bioses from 1002 to

Rob Nicholson wrote:
>>It means the board was released without sufficient testing. But how would
>>we all feel if the board release was delayed?
>

> In the long run, we'd be happier IMHO :)

Any showstopping problems you've experienced?

Ben

> Any showstopping problems you've experienced?

Yes, in a weird way :) Because I've been burnt with buying an AOpen DVD
burner that is pretty useless, I've been a lot more reluctant to jump in
with a new motherboard so as of writing, my A8N-SLI system doesn't work at
all because I haven't had enough confidence to buy it.

Rob.

Ben Pope wrote:

>>> Asus has the release version of 1006 for download.
>>
>> I feel exactly the opposite way. I am very happy to know that ASUS are
>> working hard to make sure that this board is bug free and best of breed.
>
> It means the board was released without sufficient testing.

I disagree. These are products where it is impossible to have tested
every bit of hardware you can combine it with, to see if it all works.
Also, as other manufacturers rush new hardware to the market, this will
have to be tried for compatibility too, but you can't always wait. So,
you get a decent product on the market, and work on it to resolve issues
that arise.

It's true that ASUS will have pushed hard to be the first to get an SLI
board on the market, and might have cut a few corners here and there,
but the fact that they are continuing to release new BIOSes does in no
way reflect the quality of the product, or alledged lack thereof.

I too am happy to see ASUS actively support the A8N SLI Deluxe, and
every BIOS has worked for me so far.

RJT wrote:
> Ben Pope wrote:
>
>> It means the board was released without sufficient testing.
>
> I disagree. These are products where it is impossible to have tested
> every bit of hardware you can combine it with, to see if it all works.
> Also, as other manufacturers rush new hardware to the market, this will
> have to be tried for compatibility too, but you can't always wait. So,
> you get a decent product on the market, and work on it to resolve issues
> that arise.
>
> It's true that ASUS will have pushed hard to be the first to get an SLI
> board on the market, and might have cut a few corners here and there,
> but the fact that they are continuing to release new BIOSes does in no
> way reflect the quality of the product, or alledged lack thereof.

I didn't allege a lack of quality.

Actually I've just checked the release notes for the BIOSes and it looks
like pretty standard stuff thats updated. There are a few power
management issues that should probably have been caught earlier, but
things get missed.

> I too am happy to see ASUS actively support the A8N SLI Deluxe, and
> every BIOS has worked for me so far.

Great.

Ben

Rob Nicholson wrote:
>>Any showstopping problems you've experienced?
>

> Yes, in a weird way :) Because I've been burnt with buying an AOpen DVD
> burner that is pretty useless, I've been a lot more reluctant to jump in
> with a new motherboard so as of writing, my A8N-SLI system doesn't work at
> all because I haven't had enough confidence to buy it.

Oh I see... thats not quite what I meant :p

Ben

Rob Nicholson wrote:
> I've been burnt with buying an AOpen DVD
> burner that is pretty useless

Ah, I've had a similar experience with an AOpen CD-RW. It had to be too
good to be true, as it was on sale for a ridiculously low price. I
should've known.

I bought the NEC DVD burner for my new setup, and that has worked
superbly since.

> as of writing, my A8N-SLI system doesn't work at
> all because I haven't had enough confidence to buy it.

I'd say waiting for that confidence to grow whilst hanging out here is
dangerous. Mostly ppl here only post when they are having problems, so
that isnt likely going to build on your confidence. ;)

> Oh I see... thats not quite what I meant :p

I know but I felt there was some worth in posting it as in for some people
it is better to get something more established. For example, if I was
upgrading a PC for a friend (rarer these days as new PCs are so cheap), I'd
always want to use well established parts.

Cheers, Rob.

> Ah, I've had a similar experience with an AOpen CD-RW. It had to be too
> good to be true, as it was on sale for a ridiculously low price. I
> should've known.

When I bought it just before Christmas, it was one of the cheapest DVD
burners on Dabs. Not *the* cheapest but it did have dual layer - not tht
I've had chance to use that. It would be nice if it could even burn CD-R let
alone dual layer DVD. However, there are now alternatives like the NEC you
mention.

> I'd say waiting for that confidence to grow whilst hanging out here is
> dangerous. Mostly ppl here only post when they are having problems, so
> that isnt likely going to build on your confidence. ;)

Good point but also a good source of "so how well tested and stable is this
new product".

>> I'd say waiting for that confidence to grow whilst hanging out here is
>> dangerous. Mostly ppl here only post when they are having problems, so
>> that isnt likely going to build on your confidence. ;)
>
> Good point but also a good source of "so how well tested and stable is
> this new product".

I've owned Gigabyte, 2 Abit, MSI, AMD, and 2 Asus motherboards.
The A8N-SLI Deluxe is the most stable, trouble free board I've ever used,
especially for a first revision.
There have been FAR fewer reports of bugs here on the A8N-SLI Deluxe than
there were when the A7N8X Deluxe was first released (one of the best boards
ever), and far, far fewer than were posted in their respected groups when I
first bought my Gigabyte, Abit, MSI, and AMD boards.

Weaver

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 15:08:12 +0000, Ben Pope
<ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Rob Nicholson wrote:
>>>It means the board was released without sufficient testing. But how would
>>>we all feel if the board release was delayed?
>>

>> In the long run, we'd be happier IMHO :)
>
>Any showstopping problems you've experienced?

Just the one where you need to get an ATA2.0 p/s or smoke :)

Great mobo. They all have small troubles and I like to see updates
coming thick and fast :)

> there were when the A7N8X Deluxe was first released (one of the best
> boards ever), and far, far fewer than were posted in their respected
> groups when I

On an associated tack, has the A7N8X settled down then? My brother in law
was asking tonight about a mid-level upgrade and a fast Sempron fits hits
requirements nicely.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob Nicholson wrote:
>>there were when the A7N8X Deluxe was first released (one of the best
>>boards ever), and far, far fewer than were posted in their respected
>>groups when I
>

> On an associated tack, has the A7N8X settled down then? My brother in law
> was asking tonight about a mid-level upgrade and a fast Sempron fits hits
> requirements nicely.

I bought my A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2.0 in August '03.

Never had an inkling of a problem, an outstanding motherboard.

The drivers are now very settled, too.

Just don't be tempted to install the drivers that come on the CD,
especially if they're the 1.16 drivers. Just don't do it. Throw the CD
away before you're even tempted.

Ben