Installed second harddrive

I installed a second hard drive and the system does not
recognize it.
4 answers Last reply
More about installed harddrive

    Susan wrote:

    > I installed a second hard drive and the system does not
    > recognize it.

    If you haven't already done so, format the second drive - be careful not
    to format the wrong drive!

    posted here.

    To do this safely, try this:

    Right click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Managemt. Now
    right click on the new disk, make a partition if you haven't already,
    then format it, and assign it a drive letter if Windows doesn't do this
    for you ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    null wrote:
    > Susan wrote:
    >
    >> I installed a second hard drive and the system does not recognize it.
    >

    > If you haven't already done so, format the second drive - be careful not
    > to format the wrong drive!

    Having physically installed the drive, when you booted up to Windows, did you
    get a dialogue 'found new hardware', and subsequently a dialogue 'your
    hardware is ready for use'?

    If you didn't then the hard drive was not installed properly. For guidance
    and pictures on how you should install your drive properly.

    http://compreviews.about.com/library/weekly/aa-diy-secondaryhd.htm

    Finish the above process and then power on the PC and go into BIOS to ensure
    that the IDE Autodetection phase finds the new device.

    Once done, it will put you in a position where the drive is viewable in
    Computer Management. Boot up to Windows.

    Clcik START>RUN
    Type in 'compmgmt.msc'
    Press 'OK'

    Now Left Click on 'Disk Management'

    If you see the new Hard drive, then you can left click and partition /
    format etc.

    "Susan" wrote:

    > I installed a second hard drive and the system does not
    > recognize it.

    Does your bios see the hard drive, if not then XP never will.

    "Susan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I installed a second hard drive and the system does not
    recognize it.

Hardware Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP