if you were to....

buy a new all-in-one printer, copier, scanner and fax machine tomorrow for
business purposes, what one would you buy and why? i currently have a HP PSC
2210 and it is costing me a fortune in ink!

(please note my fax line shares the same line as my home line....need a
machine that can detect the difference between a phone call and a fax call
like the HP does.)

TIA,

jay cee

ps: i'm in canada if that makes a difference!
10 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:59:06 -0230, "Jay Cee" <no@spam.please> wrote:

    >buy a new all-in-one printer, copier, scanner and fax machine tomorrow for
    >business purposes, what one would you buy and why? i currently have a HP PSC
    >2210 and it is costing me a fortune in ink!
    >
    >(please note my fax line shares the same line as my home line....need a
    >machine that can detect the difference between a phone call and a fax call
    >like the HP does.)
    >
    >TIA,
    >
    >jay cee
    >
    >ps: i'm in canada if that makes a difference!

    Actually, I would buy seperate components. You may already have most
    of them....

    el cheapo scanner such as the canon lide20 which does a great job.

    Great printer such as a canon 860 which would be super fast for
    grayscale and bw text

    faxmodem, which you may already have installed.

    There are some excellent free fax programs available as well.

    I guess If your computer is not on regularly this would be a problem.
    Mine is always running and with my business I've never owned a fax
    machine. Ive always used a scanner, printer and faxmodem. Its much
    more versitle

    Its just something to consider. Who knows, you may have all those
    components already and not realize it. Someone asked me recently about
    fax machines.. Sure enough, they had a scanner, printer and a dialup
    modem, LOL....

    yeah i had that setup before, but i have limited space now in my office so
    an "all in one" was the route i was considering.

    jay cee

    Jay Cee wrote:

    > buy a new all-in-one printer, copier, scanner and fax machine tomorrow for
    > business purposes, what one would you buy and why? i currently have a HP PSC
    > 2210 and it is costing me a fortune in ink!
    >
    > (please note my fax line shares the same line as my home line....need a
    > machine that can detect the difference between a phone call and a fax call
    > like the HP does.)
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > jay cee
    >
    > ps: i'm in canada if that makes a difference!

    I would buy a laser multifunction unit for fax, copy and routine
    printing. All in black and white with reasonable printing page costs.

    For color work, I might buy a second inkjet based combination of
    scanner/printer and never consider use of the inkjet as a fax machine.

    So long as you are dealing with inkjet, you are going to be dealing with
    high ink costs per page. Unless, of course, you envest the money and
    tinkering that goes along with one of those bulk inking machines which
    cost about $200 to set up.

    JIm

    Keepsake gift for young girls.
    Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
    Builds strong minds 12 ways.
    Guaranteed satisfaction
    - courteous money back
    - keep bonus gifts

    http://www.alicebook.com

    thanks for the input....would you not suggest a laser printer for colour or
    is the price too much?

    and what is this bulk inking machines which

    "jbuch" <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote in message
    > Jay Cee wrote:
    >
    > > buy a new all-in-one printer, copier, scanner and fax machine tomorrow
    for
    > > business purposes, what one would you buy and why? i currently have a HP
    PSC
    > > 2210 and it is costing me a fortune in ink!
    > >
    > > (please note my fax line shares the same line as my home line....need a
    > > machine that can detect the difference between a phone call and a fax
    call
    > > like the HP does.)
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > >
    > > jay cee
    > >
    > > ps: i'm in canada if that makes a difference!
    > >

    > I would buy a laser multifunction unit for fax, copy and routine
    > printing. All in black and white with reasonable printing page costs.
    >
    > For color work, I might buy a second inkjet based combination of
    > scanner/printer and never consider use of the inkjet as a fax machine.
    >
    > So long as you are dealing with inkjet, you are going to be dealing with
    > high ink costs per page. Unless, of course, you envest the money and
    > tinkering that goes along with one of those bulk inking machines which
    > cost about $200 to set up.
    >
    > JIm

    > Keepsake gift for young girls.
    > Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
    > Builds strong minds 12 ways.
    > Guaranteed satisfaction
    > - courteous money back
    > - keep bonus gifts
    >
    > http://www.alicebook.com

    to finish my incomplete thought..... :)

    thanks for the input....would you not suggest a laser printer for colour or
    is the price too much?
    and what is this bulk inking machine you are talking about? might this be a
    sloution for me without investing more $$ in a printer and/or mfc?

    Jay Cee wrote:

    > to finish my incomplete thought..... :)
    >
    > thanks for the input....would you not suggest a laser printer for colour or
    > is the price too much?
    > and what is this bulk inking machine you are talking about? might this be a
    > sloution for me without investing more $$ in a printer and/or mfc?

    Color is intrinsically more expensive than black and white. In general,
    color printing lays down four colors - CYMK. This costs you extra money
    for either inks or colored toners. I can't make it much simpler than that.

    Continuous Inking System or CIS......

    You can find them for inkjets by doing a google search on either CIS or
    the full terms.

    The hardware to convert you inkjet is somewhat expensive, but the
    websites that sell this do a pretty fair job of explaining the whole thing.

    Jim

    Keepsake gift for young girls.
    Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
    Builds strong minds 12 ways.
    Guaranteed satisfaction
    - courteous money back
    - keep bonus gifts

    http://www.alicebook.com

    thanks. did the google search, nothing available for my printer out there
    that i could find...will do a more extensive search later...

    jay cee

    > Jay Cee wrote:
    >
    > > to finish my incomplete thought..... :)
    > >
    > > thanks for the input....would you not suggest a laser printer for
    colour or
    > > is the price too much?
    > > and what is this bulk inking machine you are talking about? might this
    be a
    > > sloution for me without investing more $$ in a printer and/or mfc?
    > >

    > Color is intrinsically more expensive than black and white. In general,
    > color printing lays down four colors - CYMK. This costs you extra money
    > for either inks or colored toners. I can't make it much simpler than
    that.

    > Continuous Inking System or CIS......
    >
    > You can find them for inkjets by doing a google search on either CIS or
    > the full terms.
    >
    > The hardware to convert you inkjet is somewhat expensive, but the
    > websites that sell this do a pretty fair job of explaining the whole
    thing.

    > Jim

    > Keepsake gift for young girls.
    > Unique and personal one-of-a-kind.
    > Builds strong minds 12 ways.
    > Guaranteed satisfaction
    > - courteous money back
    > - keep bonus gifts
    >
    > http://www.alicebook.com

    There have been discussions here about continuous inking systems, CIS.

    Suggest that you work harder at searching.

    Jim
    Jay Cee wrote:
    > thanks. did the google search, nothing available for my printer out there
    > that i could find...will do a more extensive search later...
    >
    > jay cee
    >

    > "jbuch" <jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jay Cee wrote:
    >>

    >>>to finish my incomplete thought..... :)
    >>>
    >>> thanks for the input....would you not suggest a laser printer for
    >
    > colour or
    >
    >>>is the price too much?
    >>> and what is this bulk inking machine you are talking about? might this
    >
    > be a
    >
    >>>sloution for me without investing more $$ in a printer and/or mfc?
    >>>

    >>Color is intrinsically more expensive than black and white. In general,
    >>color printing lays down four colors - CYMK. This costs you extra money
    >>for either inks or colored toners. I can't make it much simpler than
    >
    > that.
    >

    >>Continuous Inking System or CIS......
    >>
    >>You can find them for inkjets by doing a google search on either CIS or
    >>the full terms.
    >>
    >>The hardware to convert you inkjet is somewhat expensive, but the
    >>websites that sell this do a pretty fair job of explaining the whole
    >
    > thing.
    >
    >>Jim

    umm thanks, but i did a google search and that turned up notthing specific
    for my needs and i did a ng search for "CIS" and "continuous ink systems"
    and went through hundreds of pages for epsons and canons, but nothing for my
    PSC 2210.
    If there is anything out there to suit my need, ya coulda fooled me!

    jay cee

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 13:11:17 -0230, "Jay Cee" <no@spam.please> wrote:

    >umm thanks, but i did a google search and that turned up notthing specific
    >for my needs and i did a ng search for "CIS" and "continuous ink systems"
    >and went through hundreds of pages for epsons and canons, but nothing for my
    >PSC 2210.
    >If there is anything out there to suit my need, ya coulda fooled me!

    You did a Google search?

    I just did one using "continuous ink system" printer and got 545
    results.

    --

    Hecate
    Hecate@newsguy.com

Printers Fax Hewlett Packard Peripherals