Intermittent disconnects - very frustrating!

The problem is that my Internet connection and any network capability is
occasionally cut off when I restart my laptop computer. When my laptop
starts the wirelesss connectoid tells me that I have a good/excellent
signal but I have no network and no Internet. Sometimes even when I am
accessing the network it seems I just lose the connection without
warning. It requires disconnecting and reconnecting the power to start
things up again.

My wireless network is connected to a wired network. I have converted my
wireless router to an access point and have assigned it a static IP
address out of the range of the wired router 192.168.0.203. The wired
router has been converted to a switch because I have dialup and have
assigned my gateway computer with 192.168.0.1 so that I can use ICS. I
have DHCP enabled on the wireless router though I am not sure it should
be since I have a static IP address. I have a total of 3 computers on a
wired network and 1 for my wireless network. I have a Netgear nic on the
Laptop and both routers are DLInk.

Again, it seems that I can just unplug the DLink router for a couple
seconds and replug it and then the connection comes back. Are there any
settings that I’m missing? I have tried disabling and enabling Wireless
Zero Configuration with no effect. I am using Windows XP Pro built-in
wireless configuration. Should I go back to the DLink one? What else am
I missing? Can I configure my wireless router to ping my laptop every
from time to time?
3 answers Last reply
More about intermittent disconnects frustrating

    try setting all pc's to obtain ip automatically
    set router to dhcp that will control all networks requests both wired &
    wireless for ip's
    get that working, then enable ics again & follow the prompts.

    mike

    "Ron Joiner" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > The problem is that my Internet connection and any network capability is
    > occasionally cut off when I restart my laptop computer. When my laptop
    > starts the wirelesss connectoid tells me that I have a good/excellent
    > signal but I have no network and no Internet. Sometimes even when I am
    > accessing the network it seems I just lose the connection without
    > warning. It requires disconnecting and reconnecting the power to start
    > things up again.
    >
    > My wireless network is connected to a wired network. I have converted my
    > wireless router to an access point and have assigned it a static IP
    > address out of the range of the wired router 192.168.0.203. The wired
    > router has been converted to a switch because I have dialup and have
    > assigned my gateway computer with 192.168.0.1 so that I can use ICS. I
    > have DHCP enabled on the wireless router though I am not sure it should
    > be since I have a static IP address. I have a total of 3 computers on a
    > wired network and 1 for my wireless network. I have a Netgear nic on the
    > Laptop and both routers are DLInk.
    >
    > Again, it seems that I can just unplug the DLink router for a couple
    > seconds and replug it and then the connection comes back. Are there any
    > settings that I’m missing? I have tried disabling and enabling Wireless
    > Zero Configuration with no effect. I am using Windows XP Pro built-in
    > wireless configuration. Should I go back to the DLink one? What else am
    > I missing? Can I configure my wireless router to ping my laptop every
    > from time to time?

    also try disabling 4x function in any routers/AP's/wifi pci cards

    David Leslie wrote:
    > also try disabling 4x function in any routers/AP's/wifi pci cards
    >
    > "Ron Joiner" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>The problem is that my Internet connection and any network capability is
    >>occasionally cut off when I restart my laptop computer. When my laptop
    >>starts the wirelesss connectoid tells me that I have a good/excellent
    >>signal but I have no network and no Internet. Sometimes even when I am
    >>accessing the network it seems I just lose the connection without warning.
    >>It requires disconnecting and reconnecting the power to start things up
    >>again.
    >>
    >>My wireless network is connected to a wired network. I have converted my
    >>wireless router to an access point and have assigned it a static IP
    >>address out of the range of the wired router 192.168.0.203. The wired
    >>router has been converted to a switch because I have dialup and have
    >>assigned my gateway computer with 192.168.0.1 so that I can use ICS. I
    >>have DHCP enabled on the wireless router though I am not sure it should be
    >>since I have a static IP address. I have a total of 3 computers on a wired
    >>network and 1 for my wireless network. I have a Netgear nic on the Laptop
    >>and both routers are DLInk.
    >>
    >>Again, it seems that I can just unplug the DLink router for a couple
    >>seconds and replug it and then the connection comes back. Are there any
    >>settings that I’m missing? I have tried disabling and enabling Wireless
    >>Zero Configuration with no effect. I am using Windows XP Pro built-in
    >>wireless configuration. Should I go back to the DLink one? What else am I
    >>missing? Can I configure my wireless router to ping my laptop every from
    >>time to time?

    Thanks. Will check that out.

    Ron

Wireless Networking