Intermittent disconnects - very frustrating!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 23, 2005 5:29:14 PM

The problem is that my Internet connection and any network capability is
occasionally cut off when I restart my laptop computer. When my laptop
starts the wirelesss connectoid tells me that I have a good/excellent
signal but I have no network and no Internet. Sometimes even when I am
accessing the network it seems I just lose the connection without
warning. It requires disconnecting and reconnecting the power to start
things up again.

My wireless network is connected to a wired network. I have converted my
wireless router to an access point and have assigned it a static IP
address out of the range of the wired router 192.168.0.203. The wired
router has been converted to a switch because I have dialup and have
assigned my gateway computer with 192.168.0.1 so that I can use ICS. I
have DHCP enabled on the wireless router though I am not sure it should
be since I have a static IP address. I have a total of 3 computers on a
wired network and 1 for my wireless network. I have a Netgear nic on the
Laptop and both routers are DLInk.

Again, it seems that I can just unplug the DLink router for a couple
seconds and replug it and then the connection comes back. Are there any
settings that I’m missing? I have tried disabling and enabling Wireless
Zero Configuration with no effect. I am using Windows XP Pro built-in
wireless configuration. Should I go back to the DLink one? What else am
I missing? Can I configure my wireless router to ping my laptop every
from time to time?
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:35:04 AM

try setting all pc's to obtain ip automatically
set router to dhcp that will control all networks requests both wired &
wireless for ip's
get that working, then enable ics again & follow the prompts.

mike

"Ron Joiner" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> The problem is that my Internet connection and any network capability is
> occasionally cut off when I restart my laptop computer. When my laptop
> starts the wirelesss connectoid tells me that I have a good/excellent
> signal but I have no network and no Internet. Sometimes even when I am
> accessing the network it seems I just lose the connection without
> warning. It requires disconnecting and reconnecting the power to start
> things up again.
>
> My wireless network is connected to a wired network. I have converted my
> wireless router to an access point and have assigned it a static IP
> address out of the range of the wired router 192.168.0.203. The wired
> router has been converted to a switch because I have dialup and have
> assigned my gateway computer with 192.168.0.1 so that I can use ICS. I
> have DHCP enabled on the wireless router though I am not sure it should
> be since I have a static IP address. I have a total of 3 computers on a
> wired network and 1 for my wireless network. I have a Netgear nic on the
> Laptop and both routers are DLInk.
>
> Again, it seems that I can just unplug the DLink router for a couple
> seconds and replug it and then the connection comes back. Are there any
> settings that I’m missing? I have tried disabling and enabling Wireless
> Zero Configuration with no effect. I am using Windows XP Pro built-in
> wireless configuration. Should I go back to the DLink one? What else am
> I missing? Can I configure my wireless router to ping my laptop every
> from time to time?
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 1:38:06 AM

also try disabling 4x function in any routers/AP's/wifi pci cards

"Ron Joiner" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> The problem is that my Internet connection and any network capability is
> occasionally cut off when I restart my laptop computer. When my laptop
> starts the wirelesss connectoid tells me that I have a good/excellent
> signal but I have no network and no Internet. Sometimes even when I am
> accessing the network it seems I just lose the connection without warning.
> It requires disconnecting and reconnecting the power to start things up
> again.
>
> My wireless network is connected to a wired network. I have converted my
> wireless router to an access point and have assigned it a static IP
> address out of the range of the wired router 192.168.0.203. The wired
> router has been converted to a switch because I have dialup and have
> assigned my gateway computer with 192.168.0.1 so that I can use ICS. I
> have DHCP enabled on the wireless router though I am not sure it should be
> since I have a static IP address. I have a total of 3 computers on a wired
> network and 1 for my wireless network. I have a Netgear nic on the Laptop
> and both routers are DLInk.
>
> Again, it seems that I can just unplug the DLink router for a couple
> seconds and replug it and then the connection comes back. Are there any
> settings that I’m missing? I have tried disabling and enabling Wireless
> Zero Configuration with no effect. I am using Windows XP Pro built-in
> wireless configuration. Should I go back to the DLink one? What else am I
> missing? Can I configure my wireless router to ping my laptop every from
> time to time?
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 9:48:54 PM

David Leslie wrote:
> also try disabling 4x function in any routers/AP's/wifi pci cards
>
> "Ron Joiner" <joiner@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>
>>The problem is that my Internet connection and any network capability is
>>occasionally cut off when I restart my laptop computer. When my laptop
>>starts the wirelesss connectoid tells me that I have a good/excellent
>>signal but I have no network and no Internet. Sometimes even when I am
>>accessing the network it seems I just lose the connection without warning.
>>It requires disconnecting and reconnecting the power to start things up
>>again.
>>
>>My wireless network is connected to a wired network. I have converted my
>>wireless router to an access point and have assigned it a static IP
>>address out of the range of the wired router 192.168.0.203. The wired
>>router has been converted to a switch because I have dialup and have
>>assigned my gateway computer with 192.168.0.1 so that I can use ICS. I
>>have DHCP enabled on the wireless router though I am not sure it should be
>>since I have a static IP address. I have a total of 3 computers on a wired
>>network and 1 for my wireless network. I have a Netgear nic on the Laptop
>>and both routers are DLInk.
>>
>>Again, it seems that I can just unplug the DLink router for a couple
>>seconds and replug it and then the connection comes back. Are there any
>>settings that I’m missing? I have tried disabling and enabling Wireless
>>Zero Configuration with no effect. I am using Windows XP Pro built-in
>>wireless configuration. Should I go back to the DLink one? What else am I
>>missing? Can I configure my wireless router to ping my laptop every from
>>time to time?

Thanks. Will check that out.

Ron
!