Big temp rise with new cpu - need advice please

I've just built my sister a new P4P800 SE with a new 3E GHz Pent 4 CPU. I
use the packaged Intel fan and heat exchanger with the gummy heat exchange
compound. I tested the comp. tonight to see if I could get the Bios, and
the temperature of the CPU was 78.5 degrees Centigrade or 178 degrees Far.
My own Computer's CPU is a 2.8 E GHZ Pent 4 on a P4P800 DLX ; I built it
long time ago, and I took off the Intel heat exchange paste by accident. I
had to apply some stuff out of a tube that I bought at radio shack. My CPU
heats to the mild temp of 31 degrees C or 100 degrees F. degrees. Is my
sisters CPU going to burn up; it sure seems hot compared to mine? If I
decide to take her fan and heat exchange off, what is the best way to clean
up the mess before I apply some other heat exchange paste (I've still got
the old stuff from radio shack)? What is the maximum heat the Pentium 4
chip supposed to take? Thank goodness I got the Bios on her comp tonight.

Sincerely -- Randy

PS------ Don't buy one of those Super Mid Tower Antec Cases of the Solution
Series unless you want complete frustration with the top area for 5.25
devices. There are no screw holes for backup. There are two drive rails
for each device which you screw in to the device ( e.g.. CD ROM ); then, you
slide the device in the bay until it snaps into place ------ good LUCK!!!!!
I've always bought Antec cases. Theses are great
cases except for the Whole Damn area where the 5.25 bays are (knuckle
busters). The specific case I bought for my sister was SLK3700AMB. Maybe
they should try the cases out before they sell them. I've got very
expensive full tower cases from Antec that I bought from them years
ago-------no problem ---- maybe they had quality assurance then. These
cases had everything going for them --- too good to be true -- it was -- !
22 answers Last reply
More about temp rise advice please

    Go to the arctcsilver web site and check through the instructions there.

    http://www.arcticsilver.com/

    Could you have mounted the heatsink backwards? It happens.
    Could the heat gunk be un even?
    Is the heatsink clipped on correctly?
    How is the temp with the side off the case?
    What is the ambient temp?

    Do not use both heat gunk and a heat pad at the same time.
    Did you remove the protective film from the stock heatsinks head pad?

    78c is hot. Don't run the system like that until the issue is sorted. It is
    not too hot to be of concern, just HOT.

    The recommendation for P4 Prescott cpu'sis not to use the supplied heat pad
    on the heatsink, but to use a quality heat gunk EG AS *and* to have a vent
    in the side of the case that feeds (ducts) fresh cool air straight to the
    CPU cooler fan.

    "Randy_O" <eatcrowemguyspam@execpc.com> wrote in message
    > I've just built my sister a new P4P800 SE with a new 3E GHz Pent 4 CPU. I
    > use the packaged Intel fan and heat exchanger with the gummy heat exchange
    > compound. I tested the comp. tonight to see if I could get the Bios, and
    > the temperature of the CPU was 78.5 degrees Centigrade or 178 degrees
    > Far. My own Computer's CPU is a 2.8 E GHZ Pent 4 on a P4P800 DLX ; I built
    > it long time ago, and I took off the Intel heat exchange paste by
    > accident. I had to apply some stuff out of a tube that I bought at radio
    > shack. My CPU heats to the mild temp of 31 degrees C or 100 degrees F.
    > degrees. Is my sisters CPU going to burn up; it sure seems hot compared
    > to mine? If I decide to take her fan and heat exchange off, what is the
    > best way to clean up the mess before I apply some other heat exchange
    > paste (I've still got the old stuff from radio shack)? What is the
    > maximum heat the Pentium 4 chip supposed to take? Thank goodness I got
    > the Bios on her comp tonight.
    >
    > Sincerely -- Randy
    >

    > PS------ Don't buy one of those Super Mid Tower Antec Cases of the
    > Solution Series unless you want complete frustration with the top area for
    > 5.25 devices. There are no screw holes for backup. There are two drive
    > rails for each device which you screw in to the device ( e.g.. CD ROM );
    > then, you slide the device in the bay until it snaps into place ------
    > good LUCK!!!!! I've always bought Antec cases. Theses are great
    > cases except for the Whole Damn area where the 5.25 bays are (knuckle
    > busters). The specific case I bought for my sister was SLK3700AMB. Maybe
    > they should try the cases out before they sell them. I've got very
    > expensive full tower cases from Antec that I bought from them years
    > ago-------no problem ---- maybe they had quality assurance then. These
    > cases had everything going for them --- too good to be true -- it was -- !

    >> really think the P4P800 SE is reading wrong ... I'm using the same Intel
    >> Fan and heat exchange which comes with all commercial retail Prescott
    >> 3.0E GHz

    I guess a lot depends on your case, fans and how many obstructions there are
    in the way of the airflow (cables, cards, etc). FWIW, I run the same board
    and processor and at 55 to 58 degrees under heavy processing. I checked my
    filter on the front of my Antec case this last week and it was quite furry.
    Temps had crept up 61 degrees. Temps dropped 5 degrees after cleaning the
    filters and blowing the heat sink fins free of fur ;)

    Doug

    " -" <xvvvz@hotmail.com> wrote in

    >>> really think the P4P800 SE is reading wrong ... I'm using the same
    >>> Intel Fan and heat exchange which comes with all commercial retail
    >>> Prescott 3.0E GHz
    >
    > I guess a lot depends on your case, fans and how many obstructions
    > there are in the way of the airflow (cables, cards, etc). FWIW, I run
    > the same board and processor and at 55 to 58 degrees under heavy
    > processing. I checked my filter on the front of my Antec case this
    > last week and it was quite furry. Temps had crept up 61 degrees.
    > Temps dropped 5 degrees after cleaning the filters and blowing the
    > heat sink fins free of fur ;)
    >
    > Doug

    You don't get rid of the fur dude!! That's where the little Intel* devs
    live and work. If you kill them we'll never get a cool 4Ghz+ cpu from
    them.

    *If you have an AMD please disregard and kill the b*stards. :-P

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."

    > Thank you Alex -------
    >
    > I tried ThrottleWatch on my sisters P4P800 SE with PaintShop Pro, and
    > the 3.O E GHz CPU is certainly overheating and throttling. It jumped
    > up to 70 from a low of 11 in the throttle range several times I
    > tested. At idle it did not throttle. I tried ThrottleWatch on my own
    > computer which has a 2.8 GHz E Prescott on a P4P800 DLX MB; I messed
    > around with PhotoShop and never saw any throttling with my CPU. I
    > will have to get a new fan heat exchange on my sister's setup. This
    > will be a problem because I don't know where to start -- to get the
    > right one to fit. Her damn computer has just about blown my mind.
    > I've built 3 other systems, but this one has been one problem after
    > another. Any ideas of a good fan heat exchange that is available
    > easily ( that for sure will fit ) --- something that Newegg or MWAVE
    > might handle? Those are two places I do order online. How about
    > CompUSA? I don't want the thing too huge because of the configuration
    > of her case. If her DVD-CD writer reader dies, and I need to put
    > another in I would have to take the MB out to put another in; I have
    > to remove the PS to put the DVD in, and the PS must move out and over
    > the CPU temporarily. Thanks again Alex!!!!! Sure is fun ---huh
    > ;o)))
    >
    > Sincerely --- Randy O in WI

    I would recommend that you spend a few extra bucks and get a larger case
    first. You will probably need a decent size heatsink to cool this cpu
    down. Size can be tall or wide depending on what your preference is. I
    think that the case your describing will cost you more in the long run as
    you try to work around it to get it cool.

    I use a Thermalright XP-120 (http://tinyurl.com/3s8kw). It can only fit
    on the P4P800SE in one direction, with the pipes facing the memory slots.
    It rests against my power supply so I should get a bigger case at some
    point to give it more room. Some people recommend the Zalman
    (http://tinyurl.com/6n9vw). I was tempted to go for that but I read
    reviews that recommended the XP-120 above the zalman and needed the
    maximum cooling.

    Get a case with an air duct and lots of fans. Newegg has lots to choose
    from. If you got the original case from them and it's un modified then I
    would email them and explain the situation and they 'MAY' allow you to
    exchange it.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."

    What specific 120 mm fan did you use on the Thermalright XP-120 (does it
    matter), and how did you attach the fan to the heat sink? Did you use
    contact cement? I see I need a 3 pin female attachment. I see the heat
    exchange comes with two wire attachment dodads --- will these work on MB
    post holes meant for the Intel heatsink fan setup or is there lots of
    dinking around. Once the wires are attached to hold the heat exchange, how
    does a fan get attached? How did you do it Alex? I have room I believe.

    My case is ---- I mentioned it in one post is the """"Don't buy one of
    those Super Mid Tower Antec Cases of the Solution Series unless you want
    complete frustration with the top area for 5.25 devices. There are no screw
    holes for backup. There are two drive rails for each device which you screw
    in to the device ( e.g.. CD ROM ); then, you slide the device in the bay
    until it snaps into place ------ good LUCK!!!!! I've always bought Antec
    cases. Theses are great
    cases except for the Whole Damn area where the 5.25 bays are (knuckle
    busters). The specific case I bought for my sister was SLK3700AMB. Maybe
    they should try the cases out before they sell them. I've got very
    expensive full tower cases from Antec that I bought from them years
    ago-------no problem ---- maybe they had great quality assurance then. "
    Go to Antec and U can see the schematic of the case; it looks really great.

    The CPU is sort of close to the PS; so, Michael Ryder is correct in his
    ideas about cooling I believe.
    Thanks Alex and Michael and anyone else. Alex I will try to keep you posted
    on my improvements -- I hope.

    Sincerely----Randy O

    Alex Devlin wrote:
    > "Randy_O" <eatcrowemguyspam@execpc.com> wrote in
    >

    >>Thank you Alex -------
    >>
    >>I tried ThrottleWatch on my sisters P4P800 SE with PaintShop Pro, and
    >>the 3.O E GHz CPU is certainly overheating and throttling. It jumped
    >>up to 70 from a low of 11 in the throttle range several times I
    >>tested. At idle it did not throttle. I tried ThrottleWatch on my own
    >>computer which has a 2.8 GHz E Prescott on a P4P800 DLX MB; I messed
    >>around with PhotoShop and never saw any throttling with my CPU. I
    >>will have to get a new fan heat exchange on my sister's setup. This
    >>will be a problem because I don't know where to start -- to get the
    >>right one to fit. Her damn computer has just about blown my mind.
    >>I've built 3 other systems, but this one has been one problem after
    >>another. Any ideas of a good fan heat exchange that is available
    >>easily ( that for sure will fit ) --- something that Newegg or MWAVE
    >>might handle? Those are two places I do order online. How about
    >>CompUSA? I don't want the thing too huge because of the configuration
    >>of her case. If her DVD-CD writer reader dies, and I need to put
    >>another in I would have to take the MB out to put another in; I have
    >>to remove the PS to put the DVD in, and the PS must move out and over
    >>the CPU temporarily. Thanks again Alex!!!!! Sure is fun ---huh
    >>;o)))
    >>
    >>Sincerely --- Randy O in WI
    >

    > I would recommend that you spend a few extra bucks and get a larger case
    > first. You will probably need a decent size heatsink to cool this cpu
    > down. Size can be tall or wide depending on what your preference is. I
    > think that the case your describing will cost you more in the long run as
    > you try to work around it to get it cool.

    I agree with the need for a new case. If the old one is as cramped as
    it seems to be it can make a big difference in CPU temperature. My
    latest update had similar problems to the OP's until I replaced the
    case. The CPU was directly under the PS and the temperature was in the
    60s at idle. With a new case and a couple of inches of clearance my
    temperatures dropped into the low 40's at idle (with a 3.4 Prescott).'
    I didn't need to replace the heatsink fan to get this kind of a drop,
    just improve the heat flow.

    "Michael W. Ryder" <_mwryder@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<a8HZd.393953$w62.91711@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> [...]
    > temperatures dropped into the low 40's at idle (with a 3.4 Prescott).'
    > I didn't need to replace the heatsink fan to get this kind of a drop,
    > just improve the heat flow.
    >

    > > I use a Thermalright XP-120 (http://tinyurl.com/3s8kw). It can only fit
    > > on the P4P800SE in one direction, with the pipes facing the memory slots.
    > > It rests against my power supply so I should get a bigger case at some
    > > point to give it more room. Some people recommend the Zalman
    > > (http://tinyurl.com/6n9vw). I was tempted to go for that but I read
    > > reviews that recommended the XP-120 above the zalman and needed the
    > > maximum cooling.
    > >
    > > Get a case with an air duct and lots of fans. Newegg has lots to choose
    > > from. If you got the original case from them and it's un modified then I
    > > would email them and explain the situation and they 'MAY' allow you to

    I recently installed a P3.2E CPU into a P4C800 deluxe board and also
    noticed that the temperature jumped to 70 degrees. I also found that
    the system would simply switch off at this point. I attribute this to
    the board not supporting the Prescott processor fully. Please be sure
    to upgrade the bios to the most recent version.

    > What specific 120 mm fan did you use on the Thermalright XP-120 (does
    > it matter), and how did you attach the fan to the heat sink? Did you
    > use contact cement? I see I need a 3 pin female attachment. I see
    > the heat exchange comes with two wire attachment dodads --- will these
    > work on MB post holes meant for the Intel heatsink fan setup or is
    > there lots of dinking around. Once the wires are attached to hold the
    > heat exchange, how does a fan get attached? How did you do it Alex?
    > I have room I believe.

    I used this fan on mine http://tinyurl.com/33q6d
    I had to modify it though as the corners had plastic in them. You'll see
    why soon.

    The wire dodads you mentioned are what attaches the fan to the heatsink.
    The heatsink has clips built into the underneath of it and it clips into
    the standard P4 heatsink clips on your motherboard. You can install it
    while the board is in the case but the clips are very strong and you need
    to push them down to clip onto the plastic bracket on the motherboard.
    They are like strong spring clips so you need to be able to get to them
    to make sure they're clipped in well. I have my fan plugged into a 4pin
    plug in the pc case. The same type that you connect to drives. So my fan
    runs full speed all the time. Forget the 3pin motherboard connector and
    ignore the BIOS error when you boot the first time telling you the cpu
    fan isn't working. It can only read it through the 3pin which you may not
    be using if you do the same as me.

    Go to www.thermalright.com and click on "Installation/XP-120(P4)" on the
    menu on the left. You can see the clips underneath the heatsink and the
    wire dodads that hold the fan. These are weak and flimsy but do hold the
    fan securely so don't panic when you see them. This is also why I had to
    modify my fan. The wires clip onto the fan so the sides and corners need
    to be open so the wire can get into it. If you get a solid fan there is
    no where for the clips to go to hold it.

    If you want to go ahead with this heatsink in that case then good luck to
    you! But I would recommend a better case. You're going to be spending $70
    on the heatsink and whatever on the fan, so why not a new case too?

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."

    Well Alex , I ordered what you suggested, and I even purchased Artic Silver
    heatsink paste. If you take the "eatcrow and the spam" out of my email you
    can email me. I sure wish you could make a quick drawing /sketch and scan
    it showing your modification of the fan. You could send me a jpg or two
    (make them less than 300 --more like 75 pixels per inch). I was wondering
    about your fan; you might want to change it because it is doing a steady
    job. The fan ordered is a sleeve bearing fan (you had the link for); After
    delivery, I may go out and buy a similar ball bearing fan at CompUSA because
    ball bearing fans are better. I also installed a 120 mm ball bearing fan in
    the front of the case which I might need to use; it had a 3 wire plug, but I
    could get an adapter. I sure would like to see what I need to do next when
    this stuff comes instead of guessing at how to adapt the fan. I sure would
    appreciate it because I've got a major write up I must do pertaining to
    Vietnam; it is very important for me getting my proper benefits. This
    building a computer for my younger sister turned into a nightmare scenario.
    That case I bought for my sister cost $84 ($108 with S&H); there is no way I
    can blow that kind of money. I can't return it because it has been scarred
    and scratched inside with all the stuff I did. Usually Antec cases are
    great. I've got a deluxe case they don't make any more, but mine would have
    been nicer if they would have thought of 120 mm fans in those days ( I've
    got lots of 80 mm fans --- its a noisy computer, but really cool).

    My Best Regards --- Randy O in WI

    > Well Alex , I ordered what you suggested, and I even purchased Artic
    > Silver heatsink paste. If you take the "eatcrow and the spam" out of
    > my email you can email me. I sure wish you could make a quick
    > drawing /sketch and scan it showing your modification of the fan. You
    > could send me a jpg or two (make them less than 300 --more like 75
    > pixels per inch).

    Pictures emailed.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."

    Alex Devlin <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:Xns961BAAE2F8FF0mehomecom@
    68.12.19.6:

    > "Randy_O" <eatcrowemguyspam@execpc.com> wrote in
    >
    >> Well Alex , I ordered what you suggested, and I even purchased Artic
    >> Silver heatsink paste. If you take the "eatcrow and the spam" out of
    >> my email you can email me. I sure wish you could make a quick
    >> drawing /sketch and scan it showing your modification of the fan. You
    >> could send me a jpg or two (make them less than 300 --more like 75
    >> pixels per inch).
    >
    > Pictures emailed.

    Argh, sent it before I had finished!

    Emailed: - 3 pictures showing the XP-120 and the fan mods.

    Ignore the dust please :-)

    Hope these help.

    I removed the plastic from the corners using a saw blade. You could use a
    dremel or even a chisel/screwdriver and hammer if you're carefull.

    Be sure to set the fan to blow down onto the XP-120.

    Getting the clips on the XP-120 to clip into the bracket on the
    motherboard is difficult. It may be easier to remove the motherboard and
    seat the heatsink.

    Put a THIN coating of AS5 on the cpu. Clean it well first. Both the cpu
    and XP-120 base.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."

    Thanks Alex. Note the ball bearing model of the same size and manufactured
    fan you linked to.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-052&depa=0
    The ball bearing model has more air flow vs. the sleeve model; the ball
    bearing model dBA is about 5 higher for noise. I ordered 4 tonight for
    future building. Your a good guy ---helping out a desperate frustrated guy
    doing a good deed for sister who needs a decent comp.

    Sincerely ---A WI friend -----------------Randy O
    > Alex Devlin <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote in news:Xns961BAAE2F8FF0mehomecom@
    > 68.12.19.6:
    >
    >> "Randy_O" <eatcrowemguyspam@execpc.com> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Well Alex , I ordered what you suggested, and I even purchased Artic
    >>> Silver heatsink paste. If you take the "eatcrow and the spam" out of
    >>> my email you can email me. I sure wish you could make a quick
    >>> drawing /sketch and scan it showing your modification of the fan. You
    >>> could send me a jpg or two (make them less than 300 --more like 75
    >>> pixels per inch).
    >>
    >> Pictures emailed.
    >>

    > Argh, sent it before I had finished!
    >
    > Emailed: - 3 pictures showing the XP-120 and the fan mods.
    >
    > Ignore the dust please :-)
    >
    > Hope these help.
    >
    > I removed the plastic from the corners using a saw blade. You could use a
    > dremel or even a chisel/screwdriver and hammer if you're carefull.
    >
    > Be sure to set the fan to blow down onto the XP-120.
    >
    > Getting the clips on the XP-120 to clip into the bracket on the
    > motherboard is difficult. It may be easier to remove the motherboard and
    > seat the heatsink.
    >
    > Put a THIN coating of AS5 on the cpu. Clean it well first. Both the cpu
    > and XP-120 base.
    >

    > --
    > Alex Devlin
    >
    > "Never knowingly understood."

    Excellent photographs showing just what I wanted to see!!! Great notes on
    the photos. You did a h-ll of a job ---Alex----well done! Thanks again
    -----Randy

    > Excellent photographs showing just what I wanted to see!!! Great notes
    > on the photos. You did a h-ll of a job ---Alex----well done! Thanks
    > again -----Randy

    Anytime Randy. That's what this group is for.
    Thanks for the link to the better fan. I'll put it in my wishlist until the
    wife loosens the purse strings a little ;)

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Forgot to add...

    Now you have it running ok with decent temps try a torture test.

    I use the following;

    Prime95 - http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
    Google Compute - http://toolbar.google.com/dc/offerdc.html
    Einstein@home - http://www.physics2005.org/events/einsteinathome/
    DVD Shrink - http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

    Run Prime95 torture test.
    Run Google compute
    Run Einstein@home
    Encode a DVD using DVD Shrink

    Do all that at once and your cpu will be working it's tail off.

    Watch the temps (cpu & motherboard) and use Throttle watch to check it's
    behaving itself.

    I'd say let it run for about 30 minutes to an hour. With what your sister
    will be using it for that should be enough testing. You could let it run
    for several hours just to be sure if you really want to.

    Did you use Arctic Silver 5 paste? If so then your temps should drop over
    the next few days/weeks. AS5 'cures' and the properties of it get better
    over a few thermal cycles.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Thanks for the software links for checking my sister's new computer out.
    Building it was torture enough; since the CPU no longer throttles and temps
    are fine, I don't want to find anything else wrong with her machine. *<];o)
    I'll keep the links, and download the software for myself especially for a
    new build in the future. I'm thinking about cleaning up my P4P800 DLX, and
    perhaps sticking in a new primary hard drive, new cpu, and adding new memory
    (get 2 to 4 gigs) for video editing. To do all of this will cost big bucks,
    sanity, and maybe screw up my Bios. Have you ever flashed a Bios on a
    computer you built with all the hard drives formatted NTFS with ASUS mother
    boards; I have only done a flash on a system where I had FAT 32 formatted
    primary hard drive with Windows. How the heck can I do it; I've heard the
    EZ flash method is not reliable, and I can't use a DOS formatted disks with
    the way things are setup? You seem to know a heck of lot of stuff on
    computer building - - especially software related. When I get a source of
    brain power, I try to tap into it and get the info. I don't know --- you
    seem willing to help Alex. Thanks again ----
    Best Regards ---------- Randy O in WI
    > Forgot to add...
    >
    > Now you have it running ok with decent temps try a torture test.
    >
    > I use the following;
    >
    > Prime95 - http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
    > Google Compute - http://toolbar.google.com/dc/offerdc.html
    > Einstein@home - http://www.physics2005.org/events/einsteinathome/
    > DVD Shrink - http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html
    >
    > Run Prime95 torture test.
    > Run Google compute
    > Run Einstein@home
    > Encode a DVD using DVD Shrink
    >
    > Do all that at once and your cpu will be working it's tail off.
    >
    > Watch the temps (cpu & motherboard) and use Throttle watch to check it's
    > behaving itself.
    >
    > I'd say let it run for about 30 minutes to an hour. With what your sister
    > will be using it for that should be enough testing. You could let it run
    > for several hours just to be sure if you really want to.
    >
    > Did you use Arctic Silver 5 paste? If so then your temps should drop over
    > the next few days/weeks. AS5 'cures' and the properties of it get better
    > over a few thermal cycles.
    >

    > --
    > Alex Devlin
    >
    > "Never knowingly understood."
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    One reason I can't do any of the stuff you mentioned Alex is that I must
    take the computer to my sisters home, and install her antivirus software on
    her server with her email address. I wish I would have picked a simpler
    antivirus program than PC-cillin Internet Security by Trend Micro, but it
    did have anti spyware and other goodies with it. I think it is way over her
    head. I need to install it at her home because of some kind of verification
    thingy -- passwords or something like that. I've also got to set her dialup
    to her new external modem. Easy stuff, but she doesn't know this stuff. I
    must activate her OS, and register all her software.

    I did use the Artic Silver 5 paste, and I like what you said about it
    getting better with time! The best to you and yours.

    Sincerely ------Randy O in WI
    "Alex Devlin" <Alex@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
    > Forgot to add...
    >
    > Now you have it running ok with decent temps try a torture test.
    >
    > I use the following;
    >
    > Prime95 - http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
    > Google Compute - http://toolbar.google.com/dc/offerdc.html
    > Einstein@home - http://www.physics2005.org/events/einsteinathome/
    > DVD Shrink - http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html
    >
    > Run Prime95 torture test.
    > Run Google compute
    > Run Einstein@home
    > Encode a DVD using DVD Shrink
    >
    > Do all that at once and your cpu will be working it's tail off.
    >
    > Watch the temps (cpu & motherboard) and use Throttle watch to check it's
    > behaving itself.
    >
    > I'd say let it run for about 30 minutes to an hour. With what your sister
    > will be using it for that should be enough testing. You could let it run
    > for several hours just to be sure if you really want to.
    >
    > Did you use Arctic Silver 5 paste? If so then your temps should drop over
    > the next few days/weeks. AS5 'cures' and the properties of it get better
    > over a few thermal cycles.
    >

    > --
    > Alex Devlin
    >
    > "Never knowingly understood."
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > Thanks for the software links for checking my sister's new computer
    > out. Building it was torture enough; since the CPU no longer throttles
    > and temps are fine, I don't want to find anything else wrong with her
    > machine. *<];o) I'll keep the links, and download the software for
    > myself especially for a new build in the future. I'm thinking about
    > cleaning up my P4P800 DLX, and perhaps sticking in a new primary hard
    > drive, new cpu, and adding new memory (get 2 to 4 gigs) for video
    > editing. To do all of this will cost big bucks, sanity, and maybe
    > screw up my Bios. Have you ever flashed a Bios on a computer you
    > built with all the hard drives formatted NTFS with ASUS mother boards;
    > I have only done a flash on a system where I had FAT 32 formatted
    > primary hard drive with Windows. How the heck can I do it; I've heard
    > the EZ flash method is not reliable, and I can't use a DOS formatted
    > disks with the way things are setup?

    You don't need to worry about your drives being NTFS. Go to
    www.bootdisk.com and you can download a bootdisk for BIOS flashing. It's
    an executable file that writes straight to floppy disk. Once you've done
    that then copy the BIOS flash utility and the new BIOS file to the floppy
    and you're good to go. When you boot with that it doesn't even need to
    look at any of your drives so who cares if they're NTFS? :)

    I have used the Asus software to flash from windowsXP without any
    problems. Mainly because I don't have a floppy drive.

    > You seem to know a heck of lot
    > of stuff on computer building - - especially software related. When
    > I get a source of brain power, I try to tap into it and get the info.
    > I don't know --- you seem willing to help Alex. Thanks again ----
    > Best Regards ---------- Randy O in WI

    I don't know half as much as some of the people in here. You just ask the
    questions I 'DO' know :)

    HTH

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > One reason I can't do any of the stuff you mentioned Alex is that I
    > must take the computer to my sisters home, and install her antivirus
    > software on her server with her email address. I wish I would have
    > picked a simpler antivirus program than PC-cillin Internet Security by
    > Trend Micro, but it did have anti spyware and other goodies with it.
    > I think it is way over her head. I need to install it at her home
    > because of some kind of verification thingy -- passwords or something
    > like that. I've also got to set her dialup to her new external modem.
    > Easy stuff, but she doesn't know this stuff. I must activate her OS,
    > and register all her software.
    >
    > I did use the Artic Silver 5 paste, and I like what you said about it
    > getting better with time! The best to you and yours.
    >
    > Sincerely ------Randy O in WI

    There is some good free software out there that I use on my system. I use
    AVG for virus and Spybot S&D for spyware. I used PC-Cillin years ago but
    it missed a lot of stuff of started to give me false positives. AVG seems
    to catch everything. I have a friend who has access to lots of different
    virus scanners and I load them up to scan my system every few weeks to
    see if there's anything hiding. So far AVG caught everything.

    Keep well.

    --
    Alex Devlin

    "Never knowingly understood."
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Now that is truly interesting because I visited that web site yesterday.
    I've thought about that free software before; now, next time I need
    antivirus I'll go that route --- esp. for a second build. Thanks again and
    my best to you and yours ---------------
    Randy O in WI
    > "Randy_O" <eatcrowemguyspam@execpc.com> wrote in
    >
    >> One reason I can't do any of the stuff you mentioned Alex is that I
    >> must take the computer to my sisters home, and install her antivirus
    >> software on her server with her email address. I wish I would have
    >> picked a simpler antivirus program than PC-cillin Internet Security by
    >> Trend Micro, but it did have anti spyware and other goodies with it.
    >> I think it is way over her head. I need to install it at her home
    >> because of some kind of verification thingy -- passwords or something
    >> like that. I've also got to set her dialup to her new external modem.
    >> Easy stuff, but she doesn't know this stuff. I must activate her OS,
    >> and register all her software.
    >>
    >> I did use the Artic Silver 5 paste, and I like what you said about it
    >> getting better with time! The best to you and yours.
    >>
    >> Sincerely ------Randy O in WI
    >
    > There is some good free software out there that I use on my system. I use
    > AVG for virus and Spybot S&D for spyware. I used PC-Cillin years ago but
    > it missed a lot of stuff of started to give me false positives. AVG seems
    > to catch everything. I have a friend who has access to lots of different
    > virus scanners and I load them up to scan my system every few weeks to
    > see if there's anything hiding. So far AVG caught everything.
    >
    > Keep well.
    >
    > --
    > Alex Devlin
    >
    > "Never knowingly understood."
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    I was googling about the P4 3E high temps when reached this thread, i
    just bought my P4 3E 4 hours ago and as soon i arrived from work
    took
    my old P4 1.6 out and mounted the new one all went really smooth and
    fast to boot up XP but as soon XP detected the new kid in the block
    an ear -killing-high-pitch-neverending-buzz jumped from the case (1-2
    minutes since power on) i though was the new cpu fan or something like
    that since i readed a lot of tech doc telling about the big heat
    source this "toy" was (geez i almost buy a P4 3.2 but a the guy
    buying before me took the last one, and since my Toshiba Satellite
    a70 used one of those and im burning my lap while typing this i thank
    to that guy for getting that brimstone before me :lol: ), I opened the
    easy4 tune tool for monitoring the cpu and system (im using a
    GA-8TRS350MT which uses an ATI chipset) i was amazed about the cpu
    core temp readed: 55C and just XP and services running but the buzz
    was driving me crazy so i did shutdown the PC to figure out where the
    buzz was originated, after 2-3 minutes booted up to BIOS (the buzz
    showed up again) and found some really scary at the PC Health
    section:

    CPU TEMP: 60C (it reached and stalled at 64C in 2 seconds)

    So i found what the buzz was when i saw the CPU TEMP WARNING setting
    to trigger it at 60C i changed it to 70C rebooted and the buzz was
    gone but the TEMP kept at 64C, and since the peak nominal temp for P4
    3E is 69.1 the whole things was too scary... just 5.1 degrees below
    critical temp and just running the BIOS setup???? :shock: :roll:

    My old P4 1.6 cpu was cooler than that even it was a lil' OCed (to
    1.65) the cpu temp never reached 50C (even playing Joint Operations
    over Internet or Rendering in 3DSmax) although never used an extra
    cooling
    system but the stock HSF, a 120mm fan placed just below the PSU
    and the case opened all the time, so after reading your comment my
    conclusion is that a P4 3E is a real "hottie" literaly :lol:

    Now i have to wait untill tomorrow for buy a Cooling system and some
    thermal paste, since the options here (guadalajara, mexico,the
    so-called "Mexican-Latinamerican Sillicon Valley" yeah right!!)
    aren't that much... no AS grease just a cheap Sili-Tek silicon grease
    (i hope it works) and a Gigabyte Rocket Fan cooler that looks like the
    AIR filter of my GT Cruiser .... :roll:

    Un saludo amigos, and forgive my typos and grammar english is not my
    1st language :)

    My system specs:
    Mobo GA-8TRS350MT
    RAM: 640 MB (2 x 256Mb DDR PC2100, 1 x 128 DDR PC2100 for video shared
    mem)
    Optical: LG 52x32x52x CDRW
    Case: Mid Tower 380W Generical Case
    HDD: 1 Seagate 60Gb, 1 Seagate 40Gb, 1 20Gb Quantum
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    "LoboMX" <vilchispedro@yahoo.com-dot-mx.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > I was googling about the P4 3E high temps when reached this thread, i
    > just bought my P4 3E 4 hours ago and as soon i arrived from work
    > took
    > my old P4 1.6 out and mounted the new one all went really smooth and
    > fast to boot up XP but as soon XP detected the new kid in the block
    > an ear -killing-high-pitch-neverending-buzz jumped from the case (1-2
    > minutes since power on) i though was the new cpu fan or something like
    > that since i readed a lot of tech doc telling about the big heat
    > source this "toy" was (geez i almost buy a P4 3.2 but a the guy
    > buying before me took the last one, and since my Toshiba Satellite
    > a70 used one of those and im burning my lap while typing this i thank
    > to that guy for getting that brimstone before me :lol: ), I opened the
    > easy4 tune tool for monitoring the cpu and system (im using a
    > GA-8TRS350MT which uses an ATI chipset) i was amazed about the cpu
    > core temp readed: 55C and just XP and services running but the buzz
    > was driving me crazy so i did shutdown the PC to figure out where the
    > buzz was originated, after 2-3 minutes booted up to BIOS (the buzz
    > showed up again) and found some really scary at the PC Health
    > section:
    >
    > CPU TEMP: 60C (it reached and stalled at 64C in 2 seconds)
    >
    > So i found what the buzz was when i saw the CPU TEMP WARNING setting
    > to trigger it at 60C i changed it to 70C rebooted and the buzz was
    > gone but the TEMP kept at 64C, and since the peak nominal temp for P4
    > 3E is 69.1 the whole things was too scary... just 5.1 degrees below
    > critical temp and just running the BIOS setup???? :shock: :roll:
    >
    > My old P4 1.6 cpu was cooler than that even it was a lil' OCed (to
    > 1.65) the cpu temp never reached 50C (even playing Joint Operations
    > over Internet or Rendering in 3DSmax) although never used an extra
    > cooling
    > system but the stock HSF, a 120mm fan placed just below the PSU
    > and the case opened all the time, so after reading your comment my
    > conclusion is that a P4 3E is a real "hottie" literaly :lol:
    >
    > Now i have to wait untill tomorrow for buy a Cooling system and some
    > thermal paste, since the options here (guadalajara, mexico,the
    > so-called "Mexican-Latinamerican Sillicon Valley" yeah right!!)
    > aren't that much... no AS grease just a cheap Sili-Tek silicon grease
    > (i hope it works) and a Gigabyte Rocket Fan cooler that looks like the
    > AIR filter of my GT Cruiser .... :roll:
    >
    > Un saludo amigos, and forgive my typos and grammar english is not my
    > 1st language :)
    >
    > My system specs:
    > Mobo GA-8TRS350MT
    > RAM: 640 MB (2 x 256Mb DDR PC2100, 1 x 128 DDR PC2100 for video shared
    > mem)
    > Optical: LG 52x32x52x CDRW
    > Case: Mid Tower 380W Generical Case
    > HDD: 1 Seagate 60Gb, 1 Seagate 40Gb, 1 20Gb Quantum

    Ok i have a 3gc version and it sits at 50C highs of 56C. My query to you
    would be

    1. what was the cpu fan speed running at?
    2. have to ask you did remove any cpu thermal pad correctly. ( sorry if this
    offends).

Asus Heat CPUs Motherboards