Urgent help needed_P4P800 SE only standyby power light _ca..

I've just built my sister a new P4P800 SE with a new 3E GHz Pent 4 CPU. I
use the packaged Intel fan and heat exchanger with the gummy heat exchange
compound. The system got too hot ( 78.5 degrees C or 178 degrees F almost
twice my own temps on my computer-- I get 100 degrees F), but ****I did get
a Bios**---- never got to the point of formatting and setting up Win XP. I
took the board out, and cleaned up the chip and the heat exchanger; then, I
applied good heat exchange paste I've used before. I set the computer
backup just like it was before. One ATA hard drive, a generic CD ROM, a
floppy, and a AGP video board ( simple setup). I checked and rechecked the
cords and plugs. The fans don't turn -- there is no action -- damn. All I
get is the green standyby power light inside the case when I turn the
computer on. Anyone have any ideas what I might try next? Thanks for any
help!

Sincerely --- Randy O

"Randy_O" <eatcrowemguyspam@execpc.com> wrote in message
> I've just built my sister a new P4P800 SE with a new 3E GHz Pent 4 CPU. I
> use the packaged Intel fan and heat exchanger with the gummy heat exchange
> compound. The system got too hot ( 78.5 degrees C or 178 degrees F
> almost twice my own temps on my computer-- I get 100 degrees F), but ****I
> did get a Bios**---- never got to the point of formatting and setting up
> Win XP.

Sounds like the heatsink wasn't on properly.
Have you tried the BIOS recovery methods, cleared the CMOS etc...?
Disconnect everything except 1 DIMM, and VGA card.
Do you use a static strap, or earth yourself properly before you pulled the
PC apart again?

If the fans don't turn try another PSU, or swap components into another PC
to test them.

Is the CPU fan connected to the right header on the motherboard?

TRENDING THREADS