Newest Drivers

I'm going to be reformatting my pc within the next few days and the only
drivers I have for my board (a7n8x-e deluxe) are on the cd I got with
it. Needless to say, they're probably pretty outdated by now.

I downloaded drivers from nvidia and they caused nothing but problems (I
had to run a repair install of xp). Could someone please provide a
direct link to the most stable version of the drivers? I don't mean a
generic nvidia.com link, I mean a specific link to an exe, if possible.
9 answers Last reply
More about newest drivers

    it is possible if all you did was update them they caused an issue...from a
    fresh install you should be alright..I am using the one's dated from
    03/09/2003...just look for the archived ones at the side of the page...I
    belive it is actually these ones here...just do not install the SW IDE
    driver..that is the main one that causes instability.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_3.13.html

    Xanophile wrote:
    > I'm going to be reformatting my pc within the next few days and the only
    > drivers I have for my board (a7n8x-e deluxe) are on the cd I got with
    > it. Needless to say, they're probably pretty outdated by now.
    >
    > I downloaded drivers from nvidia and they caused nothing but problems (I
    > had to run a repair install of xp). Could someone please provide a
    > direct link to the most stable version of the drivers? I don't mean a
    > generic nvidia.com link, I mean a specific link to an exe, if possible.

    http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/5.10/nForce_5.10_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe

    These should be fine on XP, but before you install XP, slipstream it
    with SP2.

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    It'll work a treat, trust me.

    Ben

    dino wrote:
    > it is possible if all you did was update them they caused an issue...from a
    > fresh install you should be alright..I am using the one's dated from
    > 03/09/2003...just look for the archived ones at the side of the page...I
    > belive it is actually these ones here...just do not install the SW IDE
    > driver..that is the main one that causes instability.
    >
    > http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_3.13.html

    The last installation I used WAS the SW IDE. I couldn't boot my pc
    until I did a repair install. It's the download I was directed to, but
    obviously it was either wrong or has some serious issues!

    Thanks!

    Ben Pope wrote:
    > Xanophile wrote:
    >
    >> I'm going to be reformatting my pc within the next few days and the
    >> only drivers I have for my board (a7n8x-e deluxe) are on the cd I got
    >> with it. Needless to say, they're probably pretty outdated by now.
    >>
    >> I downloaded drivers from nvidia and they caused nothing but problems
    >> (I had to run a repair install of xp). Could someone please provide a
    >> direct link to the most stable version of the drivers? I don't mean a
    >> generic nvidia.com link, I mean a specific link to an exe, if possible.
    >

    > http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/5.10/nForce_5.10_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe
    >

    > These should be fine on XP, but before you install XP, slipstream it
    > with SP2.
    >
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    >
    > It'll work a treat, trust me.
    >
    > Ben

    I've already slipstreamed my cd to sp2, not to mention the unattended
    installation process (GREAT to not have to enter any information!!) If
    I had to sit through the entire install process I wouldn't bother with
    the reformat. As it is, I slap in the cd, reboot and go watch tv for a
    bit, come back and it's all done for me!

    Thanks for the link.

    During the NVidia drivers install it will ask you if you wantto install that
    IDE driver........just say NO!
    peterk

    peterk wrote:
    > During the NVidia drivers install it will ask you if you wantto install that
    > IDE driver........just say NO!
    > peterk
    >
    > "Xanophile" <xanophile@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ben Pope wrote:

    >>>http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/nForce/5.10/nForce_5.10_WinXP2K_WHQL_english.exe
    >>>These should be fine on XP, but before you install XP, slipstream it with
    >>>SP2.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    >>>
    >>>It'll work a treat, trust me.
    >>>
    >>>Ben
    >>

    >>I've already slipstreamed my cd to sp2, not to mention the unattended
    >>installation process (GREAT to not have to enter any information!!) If I
    >>had to sit through the entire install process I wouldn't bother with the
    >>reformat. As it is, I slap in the cd, reboot and go watch tv for a bit,
    >>come back and it's all done for me!
    >>
    >>Thanks for the link.

    So what's it for then? If it doesn't do anything useful, and only
    screws up the system, why is it offered at all?

    Xanophile wrote:

    > So what's it for then? If it doesn't do anything useful, and only
    > screws up the system, why is it offered at all?

    Nobody really knows.

    When I had an ATA drive, I benchmarked it with V2 SW IDE drivers (don't
    remember the exact version, but it was the first set with SW IDE that
    didn't get pulled). I found that the nVidia ones performed almost
    identically to the MS ones in terms of Max throughput, sustained
    throughput and CPU load. There was no discernable difference.

    I do like the interface more than MS ones, but it's not VERY often I
    change the DMA mode of my drives. Never, actually. I haven't done any
    recent tests, as my drives are all SATA now.

    However, all of the SW IDE drivers have performed OK for me, never had
    any problems, so I use them for my CD drives.

    Ben

    Xanophile wrote:
    > I've already slipstreamed my cd to sp2, not to mention the unattended
    > installation process (GREAT to not have to enter any information!!) If
    > I had to sit through the entire install process I wouldn't bother with
    > the reformat. As it is, I slap in the cd, reboot and go watch tv for a
    > bit, come back and it's all done for me!

    It's all good.

    Then once that's up and running, first thing to do is the nVidia driver
    install, reboot, video driver, reboot and then all your apps.

    The reboots are a PITA, but it means that AGP/GART driver is in and
    working before the video driver install.

    Ben

    according to HD Tach..I had better throughput on the stock MS IDE drivers
    than Nvidia..so after a reformat I chose not to install them...but like
    Ben..my primary drives are SATA also...but I did have a a major crash upon
    installing them on my kids A7N8X-X...had to redo the install minus them..and
    the system is fine

Asus Drivers Nvidia Motherboards