Asus k8vse deluxe bios k8vsedx5 should i update? how?

I'm considering updating the BIOS on my ASUS k8vse deluxe motherboard
from the original version (1001.005) to the latest one. In the past I
had a bad experience with updating the BIOS of an MSI motherboard that
no longer worked. I'm hesitating about this as the computer is
generally working okay and apart from the minor annoyance of the sound
occasionally not working I don't have any other problems. What benefits
are there from updating from the original bios to the latest one?

Also, I'm looking at the procedure on this page
http://www.asus.com.cn/support/english/techref/bios/afudos.aspx
I'm not sure where the optical cd that came with the motherboard is,
but I have downloaded the k8vsedx.005 file, and also the afudos version
2.11 from the asus site. I have created a boot floppy from the
"format..." context menu in explorer and copied both those files to it.
There are things I don't fully understand from this page:
1) do I need the AFLASH.EXE file or just those two I already mentioned?
and if so where can I find the latest version and can I use the version
on this page?
http://www.asus.com.cn/support/english/techref/bios/aflash.aspx
(aflash221.zip)
2) do I still need to find the optical CD I got when i bought the
motherboard? 'cos i'm not sure where that is and i have to look for it.

3) Is the command I type at the dos prompt afudos /ik8vsedx.005 ?
4) what if things don't go well and I can't boot the computer
afterwards, what can I do? I read something about jumper and battery
but I'm not sure i remember how to do that or where to find the
detailed motherboard manual (the small pdf on the asus site does not
mention that). Is there a way to recover from a bad bios update on this
motherboard?

Thanks and regards

casioculture@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm considering updating the BIOS on my ASUS k8vse deluxe motherboard
> from the original version (1001.005) to the latest one. In the past I
> had a bad experience with updating the BIOS of an MSI motherboard
that
> no longer worked. I'm hesitating about this as the computer is
> generally working okay and apart from the minor annoyance of the
sound
> occasionally not working I don't have any other problems. What
benefits
> are there from updating from the original bios to the latest one?
>
> Also, I'm looking at the procedure on this page
> http://www.asus.com.cn/support/english/techref/bios/afudos.aspx
> I'm not sure where the optical cd that came with the motherboard is,
> but I have downloaded the k8vsedx.005 file, and also the afudos
version
> 2.11 from the asus site. I have created a boot floppy from the
> "format..." context menu in explorer and copied both those files to
it.
> There are things I don't fully understand from this page:
> 1) do I need the AFLASH.EXE file or just those two I already
mentioned?
> and if so where can I find the latest version and can I use the
version
> on this page?
> http://www.asus.com.cn/support/english/techref/bios/aflash.aspx
> (aflash221.zip)
> 2) do I still need to find the optical CD I got when i bought the
> motherboard? 'cos i'm not sure where that is and i have to look for
it.

> 3) Is the command I type at the dos prompt afudos /ik8vsedx.005 ?
> 4) what if things don't go well and I can't boot the computer
> afterwards, what can I do? I read something about jumper and battery
> but I'm not sure i remember how to do that or where to find the
> detailed motherboard manual (the small pdf on the asus site does not
> mention that). Is there a way to recover from a bad bios update on
this
> motherboard?
>
> Thanks and regards

Thanks... I checked the link from the page you mentioned; I eventually
got this

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cbios_dl/cbios_dl.aspx?MB=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe&CPU=Athlon%2064%203000+%20(Socket754)&BIOS=ALL

"Motherboard : K8V SE Deluxe CPU : Athlon 64 3000 (Socket754) Since
BIOS : ALL

If your motherboard BIOS version (refer to "How to examine your BIOS")
number is greater than the BIOS version listed above, then you will
not need to flash your BIOS. However, if your BIOS version is smaller
than the version listed above, then you will need to select and
download the latest BIOS to update your system. We kindly remind you
that there is a certain risk level involved in BIOS flashing, please
refer to "BIOS Flashing Method". If you still have doubts, we will
strongly advise you to consult with a PC Professional or your PC dealer
for further assistance."

By the sound of it I don't need to flash the BIOS, which sounds good
enough to me. Is there any reason other than supporting the CPU for
updating?

Paul

Splendid

In article <1110649901.165721.9660@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
casioculture@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm considering updating the BIOS on my ASUS k8vse deluxe motherboard
> from the original version (1001.005) to the latest one. In the past I
> had a bad experience with updating the BIOS of an MSI motherboard that
> no longer worked. I'm hesitating about this as the computer is
> generally working okay and apart from the minor annoyance of the sound
> occasionally not working I don't have any other problems. What benefits
> are there from updating from the original bios to the latest one?
>
> Also, I'm looking at the procedure on this page
> http://www.asus.com.cn/support/english/techref/bios/afudos.aspx
> I'm not sure where the optical cd that came with the motherboard is,
> but I have downloaded the k8vsedx.005 file, and also the afudos version
> 2.11 from the asus site. I have created a boot floppy from the
> "format..." context menu in explorer and copied both those files to it.
> There are things I don't fully understand from this page:
> 1) do I need the AFLASH.EXE file or just those two I already mentioned?
> and if so where can I find the latest version and can I use the version
> on this page?
> http://www.asus.com.cn/support/english/techref/bios/aflash.aspx
> (aflash221.zip)
> 2) do I still need to find the optical CD I got when i bought the
> motherboard? 'cos i'm not sure where that is and i have to look for it.
>
> 3) Is the command I type at the dos prompt afudos /ik8vsedx.005 ?
> 4) what if things don't go well and I can't boot the computer
> afterwards, what can I do? I read something about jumper and battery
> but I'm not sure i remember how to do that or where to find the
> detailed motherboard manual (the small pdf on the asus site does not
> mention that). Is there a way to recover from a bad bios update on this
> motherboard?
>
> Thanks and regards

1) Go to the download page for your board:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?ModelName=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe&Type=All

K8vsedx5.zip is the latest release BIOS. 1006-001.zip is the latest
beta BIOS. AFUDOS211.zip is the latest flashing tool.

Read the warning on the web page. "**If your current BIOS is earlier
than 1003 (e.g. 1001), please flash BIOS using afudos, and do not
use EZFlash or ASUS Update**". So, afudos is the only flashing
solution that is appropriate, if you want to survive the attempt
to flash upgrade.

Click the "more" link, next to the BIOS file link. For example, the
link next to K8vsedx5 says "Support new CPUs", and that is the only
improvement in that release of BIOS (that Asus wants to mention).

Prepare a MSDOS floppy boot disk. Copy AFUDOS.exe onto the floppy.
Make sure the floppy is first in the boot order in the BIOS.
Test boot the floppy. You should see the A:\ prompt. Type:

afudos /obackup.rom

to make a backup copy of the original ROM onto the floppy. Reboot
into Windows. Copy the backup.rom file off the floppy and save it
for a rainy day. Remove the backup.rom from the floppy. Copy
K8VSEDX.005 onto the floppy. Boot up the floppy diskette again. Type:

afudos /ik8vsedx.005

This is all in chapter 4 of the manual.

2) Don't use the optical CD. I believe I've heard of the BIOS being
killed, by using the file on the optical CD, if you still have
BIOS 1001 on the motherboard. So, no reason to reach for the CD.

3) Yes, see (1).

4) http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/k8v_se_dx/e1491_k8v_se_deluxe.pdf
4.7MB or so.

Recover from a bad flash ? Not likely. While many Asus boards have
"crashfree", it can only work if the boot block has not been erased.
Judging by the lack of command line options for afudos, i expect
it will always erase the boot block, leaving no recovery procedure
possible. Your best bet in a case like that, is badflash.com - purchase
a replacement BIOS chip, and they will install whatever version of
BIOS you want on it. Asus also offers this service in some countries,
but it is no cheaper. While there are other procedures, like "hot
flashing", or using an EEPROM programmer, most people are not
equipped to do them.

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <1110690563.816740.208470@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
casioculture@gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks... I checked the link from the page you mentioned; I eventually
> got this

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cbios_dl/cbios_dl.aspx?MB=K8V%20SE%20Deluxe&CPU=Athlon%2064%203000+%20(Socket754)&BIOS=ALL

> "Motherboard : K8V SE Deluxe CPU : Athlon 64 3000 (Socket754) Since
> BIOS : ALL
>
> If your motherboard BIOS version (refer to "How to examine your BIOS")
> number is greater than the BIOS version listed above, then you will
> not need to flash your BIOS. However, if your BIOS version is smaller
> than the version listed above, then you will need to select and
> download the latest BIOS to update your system. We kindly remind you
> that there is a certain risk level involved in BIOS flashing, please
> refer to "BIOS Flashing Method". If you still have doubts, we will
> strongly advise you to consult with a PC Professional or your PC dealer
> for further assistance."
>
> By the sound of it I don't need to flash the BIOS, which sounds good
> enough to me. Is there any reason other than supporting the CPU for
> updating?

The release notes with each BIOS are not exhaustive. There will
be fixes in the BIOS that are not stated.

Some people swear by BIOS updating, and will do it whenever
they see a new BIOS. Like you, I only flash if there is the
expectation of a tangible benefit. If you buy and install
a BIOS Savior (ioss.com.tw), that is one way to have a truly
bulletproof BIOS chip subsystem, and I wouldn't hesitate to
flash the BIOS, if I had redundant BIOS chips.

If this is the only computer you own, a flashing problem would
be a real disaster. If you have backup computers at your disposal,
a flash problem is more of an inconvenience than anything.

For P4 Prescott processors, and WinXP SP2, one incentive to
flash the BIOS, is to get the latest microcode in the BIOS.
SP2 will hang, if an old microcode is present. On the AMD
side, I am not aware of a similar problem.

Paul