P2b CDspeed intermittent

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

I've got a couple of dvd burners on my motherboard ide controllers, a
pioneer 105 and a 108 each the master on primary and secondary (80pin
cables, ultraDMA set). Hard drives run off a promise controller card.

I've noticed cdspeed's transfer rate read test runs inconsistently on
my P2B box. I get a lot of jagged lines when it's not working right,
I get a clean smooth line when it is.

I delete/uninstall my burners and reboot. They come up in win2k disk
management as CDrom 2 and CDrom 3. At this point, cdspeed works fine.

I reboot and the burners show up in disk management as CDrom 0 and
CDrom 1. Now cdspeed is funky and I get jagged transfer rate read
lines.

If I delete/uninstall the burners and reboot the cycle starts over.

I've noticed a lot of listings in the registry for old cdroms and
dvdroms, but I get error messages if I try and delete the older drives
from the registry (enum listing).

Anyone had similar issues ?

win2k service pack 4

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:33:25 -0800, jones@nospam.com wrote:

>I've got a couple of dvd burners on my motherboard ide controllers, a
>pioneer 105 and a 108 each the master on primary and secondary (80pin
>cables, ultraDMA set). Hard drives run off a promise controller card.
>
>I've noticed cdspeed's transfer rate read test runs inconsistently on
>my P2B box. I get a lot of jagged lines when it's not working right,
>I get a clean smooth line when it is.
>
>I delete/uninstall my burners and reboot. They come up in win2k disk
>management as CDrom 2 and CDrom 3. At this point, cdspeed works fine.
>
>I reboot and the burners show up in disk management as CDrom 0 and
>CDrom 1. Now cdspeed is funky and I get jagged transfer rate read
>lines.
>
>If I delete/uninstall the burners and reboot the cycle starts over.
>
>I've noticed a lot of listings in the registry for old cdroms and
>dvdroms, but I get error messages if I try and delete the older drives
>from the registry (enum listing).
>
>Anyone had similar issues ?
>
>win2k service pack 4

One other oddity: when CDspeed is running bad, the spin up time before
the transfer rate test is wrong. It's set for 10 seconds, but when
it's running badly, the spin up countdown starts at 10 then jumps
quickly to 3,2,1 and ends in much less than 10 seconds.

If the burners are uninstalled and system rebooted, the spin up time
is correct and the test runs smooth until the next reboot.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Hi, no idea, but do you have any odd layered cd device drivers eg Gear ASPI
or such?
Suspect products include alcohol 120%, several low level CD utilities
(including dvd ones), and I found partition magic as well. The first
manifestation I encountered (XP, not W2K on P2B) was that the preset cd
drive letter would change, there was on one occasion a ghost SCSI controller
(something I had never owned), and on another occasion, the gearaspi driver
was very well hidden in services in the registry (new DVD writer just would
not work,system crashes when 2nd / 3rd blank dvd inserted).
My solution was to deinstall then force remove all traces of cd utilities
and (2nd occasion) then work backwards through recently isntalled software
until gear aspi disappeared (PM in that case).

HTH - may be of no use to you at all...

<jones@nospam.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:33:25 -0800, jones@nospam.com wrote:
>
>>I've got a couple of dvd burners on my motherboard ide controllers, a
>>pioneer 105 and a 108 each the master on primary and secondary (80pin
>>cables, ultraDMA set). Hard drives run off a promise controller card.
>>
>>I've noticed cdspeed's transfer rate read test runs inconsistently on
>>my P2B box. I get a lot of jagged lines when it's not working right,
>>I get a clean smooth line when it is.
>>
>>I delete/uninstall my burners and reboot. They come up in win2k disk
>>management as CDrom 2 and CDrom 3. At this point, cdspeed works fine.
>>
>>I reboot and the burners show up in disk management as CDrom 0 and
>>CDrom 1. Now cdspeed is funky and I get jagged transfer rate read
>>lines.
>>
>>If I delete/uninstall the burners and reboot the cycle starts over.
>>
>>I've noticed a lot of listings in the registry for old cdroms and
>>dvdroms, but I get error messages if I try and delete the older drives
>>from the registry (enum listing).
>>
>>Anyone had similar issues ?
>>
>>win2k service pack 4
>>

> One other oddity: when CDspeed is running bad, the spin up time before
> the transfer rate test is wrong. It's set for 10 seconds, but when
> it's running badly, the spin up countdown starts at 10 then jumps
> quickly to 3,2,1 and ends in much less than 10 seconds.
>
> If the burners are uninstalled and system rebooted, the spin up time
> is correct and the test runs smooth until the next reboot.

Jones

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

Sounds about right. I loaded the latest version of adaptec's aspi
layer, but the problem persists.

I do have an old copy of PM, will look into it's drivers.

thanks.