Problem finding required driver(s)

In recent months I have tried to connect an Iomega 80GB
External Hard Disk and subsequently a 128Mb 'Stick
Memory'(Data Traveller 2.0 made by Kingston) device to my
Windows XP Computer via the USB ports.
After a month of work and much frustration and with the
help of various help facilities I have suceeded.

The problem seems to revolve around the inability of my
system to detect the presence of the required drivers
automatically (for both of types of hardware it was
usbstor.sys).
I have carried out a search for this file and know it to
be present on my hard drive in Windows/I386 in the
appropriate .cab file and some others.
I have also tried to get the system to detect it from my
Windows CD disc and SP1 without success.

The only way I had success was to select the 'manual
selection from a list - show all devices' in the 'Found
New hardware detection Wizard'
and selecting 'Compatible Mass Storage Device'
Many Other attempts to point the system at the correct
directory also failed.

I have also noticed that if I activate the 'Found New
Hardware Wizard' WITHOUT connecting any new hardware
the 'manual selection from a list - show all devices'
just comes up with the statement "unable to
to find any drivers for this device" I am not sure this
is correct as ALL devices were requested but no
Manufactures or models are listed?? I think this
particular problem then does not disappear when hardware
is eventually added thus stopping you adding hardware by
selecting the driver from the list.

To avoid all these problems again should I wish to add
any new hardware are there any suggestions as to the
solution or any way I can make the task easy to carry out
or known bugs in this area??

Any help much appreciated!
2 answers Last reply
More about problem finding required driver

    Two thoughts. First, have you ever messed around in the Services
    Console? You may want to check in there and see if you have Logical
    Disk Manager set to Automatic as well as Shell Hardware Detect.

    Second, whenever you run into problems like this, it may be worth it to
    you to simply backup all of your data, format the hard drive, and
    install Windows clean. Then put your programs and data back on. This
    almost always fixes problems like this assuming it isn't a physical
    hardware problem.

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Roy wrote:
    > In recent months I have tried to connect an Iomega 80GB
    > External Hard Disk and subsequently a 128Mb 'Stick
    > Memory'(Data Traveller 2.0 made by Kingston) device to my
    > Windows XP Computer via the USB ports.
    > After a month of work and much frustration and with the
    > help of various help facilities I have suceeded.
    >
    > The problem seems to revolve around the inability of my
    > system to detect the presence of the required drivers
    > automatically (for both of types of hardware it was
    > usbstor.sys).
    > I have carried out a search for this file and know it to
    > be present on my hard drive in Windows/I386 in the
    > appropriate .cab file and some others.
    > I have also tried to get the system to detect it from my
    > Windows CD disc and SP1 without success.
    >
    > The only way I had success was to select the 'manual
    > selection from a list - show all devices' in the 'Found
    > New hardware detection Wizard'
    > and selecting 'Compatible Mass Storage Device'
    > Many Other attempts to point the system at the correct
    > directory also failed.
    >
    > I have also noticed that if I activate the 'Found New
    > Hardware Wizard' WITHOUT connecting any new hardware
    > the 'manual selection from a list - show all devices'
    > just comes up with the statement "unable to
    > to find any drivers for this device" I am not sure this
    > is correct as ALL devices were requested but no
    > Manufactures or models are listed?? I think this
    > particular problem then does not disappear when hardware
    > is eventually added thus stopping you adding hardware by
    > selecting the driver from the list.
    >
    > To avoid all these problems again should I wish to add
    > any new hardware are there any suggestions as to the
    > solution or any way I can make the task easy to carry out
    > or known bugs in this area??
    >
    > Any help much appreciated!

    Many Thanks for your input.
    Yes it is interesting I did disable the Service
    named 'Messenger' at one time to disable on screen 'Pop
    Ups'.
    The service - messenger, on my system, is immediatley
    below the service named "Logical Disk Manager
    Administrative Service".

    The status for the following services is as follows:

    1. "Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service" ---
    Start Up type ----Manual Status --- no entry.
    2 "Logical Disk Manager" -----Start Up Type -----
    Manual. Status ---- no entry.
    3 "Shell Hardware Detection" ---- Start Up Type ----
    Automatic. Status --- no entry.

    I am not aware what these services do but are they
    correctly set? Could these settings give rise to the
    problems I have been having?

    In anticipation of your reply - Again many thanks

Hardware Devices Windows XP