Windows System Error (IP Address Conflict)

Hi all, I am getting a windows popup balloon with the message "there is an IP
address conflict with another system on the network". I recently replaced a
3 year old linksys router with a new wireless-G broadband router. I also
installed a new wireless-G printserver, and a wireless-G USB network adaptor
on a second computer. Both computers run Windows XP with SP2. Both internet
connections seem to work, and I can print from either machine with no
problems. But this Windows error message mentioned above keeps popping up at
frequent intervals. I called Linksys tech support and they insisted it is a
Microsoft-related issue. I'm not a super techie, so I'm not sure where to go
to resolve this, or if it will cause future problems. I have Comcast HS
Internet through a cable modem. All network IP addresses are assigned
dynamically I am told. Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks.

Ron
7 answers Last reply
More about windows system error address conflict

    Hi your "fix" will be have to be by hand am affraid

    If all comps running XP then--->>>

    click start-->connect to -->show all connections --> right click and choose
    status for your network connection and then click support.
    this will show you your IP address for your computer.. and yes, they should
    both be different for each comuter. if not try the "repair" button on a
    duplicated ip number or manually type a free address not used on the
    network.

    As for the other devices on the network (router/printserver), try switching
    them on one at a time after all your computers are turned on, and if its one
    of the external nodes it should show its self when you turn it on (via
    ballon box).

    give a shout again in here

    HubSwitch

    "Ron P" <Ron P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I am getting a windows popup balloon with the message "there is an
    IP
    > address conflict with another system on the network". I recently replaced
    > 3 year old linksys router with a new wireless-G broadband router. I also
    > installed a new wireless-G printserver, and a wireless-G USB network
    adaptor
    > on a second computer. Both computers run Windows XP with SP2. Both
    internet
    > connections seem to work, and I can print from either machine with no
    > problems. But this Windows error message mentioned above keeps popping up
    at
    > frequent intervals. I called Linksys tech support and they insisted it is
    > Microsoft-related issue. I'm not a super techie, so I'm not sure where to
    go
    > to resolve this, or if it will cause future problems. I have Comcast HS
    > Internet through a cable modem. All network IP addresses are assigned
    > dynamically I am told. Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks.
    >
    > Ron

    thanks for the reply, but im confused. are you referring to the start button
    in the lower left hand corner of the desktop? i dont see a "connect to" on
    the start menu.

    Ron

    > thanks for the reply, but im confused. are you referring to the start
    > button
    > in the lower left hand corner of the desktop? i dont see a "connect to"
    > on
    > the start menu.

    "Connect to" just takes you to "Network Connections" in the Control Panel.

    You can add "Connect to" to the Start Menu by right-clicking the Start Menu,
    select Properties, Customize button, Advanced tab. Scroll down to Network
    connections and select "Display as Connect to to menu"
    Al

    What do you mean by "All network IP addresses are assigned dynamically I am
    told" ?

    Check the IP addresses of the two computers using the "ipconfig /all"
    command from a command prompt. You should see their IP addresses as well as
    if and when they were assigned (lease obtained) from the router's built-in
    DHCP server. Also, use the command "arp -a" and look for the physical
    addresses of computers that are using the same internet address.

    Normally, printservers do not use random router-assigned addresses as they
    are a pain to use otherwise. You may have assigned your printserver a fixed
    IP address. Check to see if the printserver's IP address is the same as
    that of one of your computers. To do this (if your printer is working
    properly, which it seems to be), simply look at the properties for the
    printer and check the port it is on. If you configure its TCP/IP port, you
    should see an IP address. This IP address may be the same as that of one of
    your computers.

    If the IP addresses are the same, configure your router to assign IP
    addresses above that of the printserver. I think that Linksys routers
    normally start at 100 (i.e., 192.168.1.100) so moving that number up to,
    say, 120 (i.e., 192.168.1.120) if the printserver is below 120 should work.
    You could also configure the printserver to use an address below 100 and
    then reconfigure the printer's port on each computer.

    It may also be that there is another computer connecting to your wireless
    network that is using a fixed IP address (this should be visible with
    "arp -a" as a physical address that does not correspond to one of your
    devices). Try changing the SSID of your router (e.g., if you and your
    neighbor have routers that use the default "Linksys" name) and turning on
    encryption (to keep others off your network). You will need to configure
    the SSID and encryption on the printserver as well (do this just before you
    make the same modifications to the router as you will not be able to
    communicate with the printerserver wirelessly while the SSID and encryption
    key do not match). Use WPA encryption if all devices support it (I'm not
    sure about the printserver) and WEP otherwise.

    -Yves

    "Ron P" <Ron P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all, I am getting a windows popup balloon with the message "there is an
    > IP
    > address conflict with another system on the network". I recently replaced
    > 3 year old linksys router with a new wireless-G broadband router. I also
    > installed a new wireless-G printserver, and a wireless-G USB network
    > adaptor
    > on a second computer. Both computers run Windows XP with SP2. Both
    > internet
    > connections seem to work, and I can print from either machine with no
    > problems. But this Windows error message mentioned above keeps popping up
    > at
    > frequent intervals. I called Linksys tech support and they insisted it is
    > Microsoft-related issue. I'm not a super techie, so I'm not sure where to
    > go
    > to resolve this, or if it will cause future problems. I have Comcast HS
    > Internet through a cable modem. All network IP addresses are assigned
    > dynamically I am told. Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks.
    >
    > Ron

    Sorry, Yes I was reffering to the "Start" button on the task bar.

    You are going to have to look for a means to see the properties box for each
    network connection, so that you can assertain the IP Adresses of the
    computers. IF THEY BOTH ARE DIFFERENT, then either the Router or the
    PRINTSERVER is to blame for the IP conflict

    By tunrning on the external network devices one by one (with a good few
    minutes inbetween) to see if the conflict box re-appears

    OR go to:

    http://www.lookatlan.com/download_lal.html

    and download it... turn on all your devices, that way you will find the
    computers that are NOT conflicting!

    Good luck

    "Ron P" <RonP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > thanks for the reply, but im confused. are you referring to the start
    button
    > in the lower left hand corner of the desktop? i dont see a "connect to"
    on
    > the start menu.
    >
    > Ron
    >
    > "HubSwitch" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi your "fix" will be have to be by hand am affraid
    > >
    > > If all comps running XP then--->>>
    > >
    > > click start-->connect to -->show all connections --> right click and
    choose
    > > status for your network connection and then click support.
    > > this will show you your IP address for your computer.. and yes, they
    should
    > > both be different for each comuter. if not try the "repair" button on a
    > > duplicated ip number or manually type a free address not used on the
    > > network.
    > >
    > > As for the other devices on the network (router/printserver), try
    switching
    > > them on one at a time after all your computers are turned on, and if its
    one
    > > of the external nodes it should show its self when you turn it on (via
    > > ballon box).
    > >
    > > give a shout again in here
    > >
    > > HubSwitch
    > >

    > > "Ron P" <Ron P@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi all, I am getting a windows popup balloon with the message "there
    is an
    > > IP
    > > > address conflict with another system on the network". I recently
    replaced
    > > > 3 year old linksys router with a new wireless-G broadband router. I
    also
    > > > installed a new wireless-G printserver, and a wireless-G USB network
    > > adaptor
    > > > on a second computer. Both computers run Windows XP with SP2. Both
    > > internet
    > > > connections seem to work, and I can print from either machine with no
    > > > problems. But this Windows error message mentioned above keeps
    popping up
    > > at
    > > > frequent intervals. I called Linksys tech support and they insisted
    it is
    > > > Microsoft-related issue. I'm not a super techie, so I'm not sure
    where to
    > > go
    > > > to resolve this, or if it will cause future problems. I have Comcast
    HS
    > > > Internet through a cable modem. All network IP addresses are assigned
    > > > dynamically I am told. Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Ron

    quote

    "I'm not a super techie, so I'm not sure where to go to resolve this, or if
    it will cause future problems."

    Start-->keep it simple-->nuff said

    HubSwitch

    "Yves Konigshofer" <ykoniREMOVEgshofer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > installed a new wireless-G printserver, and a wireless-G USB network
    > > adaptor
    > > on a second computer. Both computers run Windows XP with SP2. Both
    > > internet
    > > connections seem to work, and I can print from either machine with no
    > > problems. But this Windows error message mentioned above keeps popping
    up
    > > at
    > > frequent intervals. I called Linksys tech support and they insisted it
    is
    > > Microsoft-related issue. I'm not a super techie, so I'm not sure where
    > > go
    > > to resolve this, or if it will cause future problems. I have Comcast HS
    > > Internet through a cable modem. All network IP addresses are assigned
    > > dynamically I am told. Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    The I would say try the following:

    When the problem occurs, on each computer, open up a command prompt
    (start->programs->accessories->command prompt) and type the following:

    ipconfig /all >> c:\myfile.txt
    arp -a >> c:\myfile.txt
    notepad c:\myfile.txt

    Then post (copy/paste) the contents of the files here.

    -Yves

    "HubSwitch" <HubSwitch@routers.hub.switch> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > adaptor
    >> > on a second computer. Both computers run Windows XP with SP2. Both
    >> > internet
    >> > connections seem to work, and I can print from either machine with no
    >> > problems. But this Windows error message mentioned above keeps popping
    > up
    >> > at
    >> > frequent intervals. I called Linksys tech support and they insisted it
    > is
    >> > Microsoft-related issue. I'm not a super techie, so I'm not sure where
    >> > go
    >> > to resolve this, or if it will cause future problems. I have Comcast
    >> > HS
    >> > Internet through a cable modem. All network IP addresses are assigned
    >> > dynamically I am told. Does anyone have a fix for this? Thanks.

Wireless System Error Wireless Networking