Sign in with
Your question

Keyboard repeat in BIOS

Last response: in Windows 7
January 27, 2011 2:01:33 AM

Hello,I recently restored my system using a system image and I'm having an odd issue in the BIOS..If I enter BIOS and try to make a selection with the arrow keys--say I press the down arrow---The cursor just keeps highlighting the next item and loops around--to stop it from looping I have to hit another key say the right arrow key and try to end up at the selection I want..I was able to reset the BIOS to optimal settings to no avail..
I have a Gateway DX4831 running windows 7 64bit.

Thanks,
---Yvette

More about : keyboard repeat bios

a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2011 4:33:09 AM

sound like a stuck key on you keyboard
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2011 8:07:40 AM

Hello kamiblue_43;
Can you borrow a different keyboard to test and see if the same thing happens with another keyboard?
Will using the TAB key let you move through the BIOS screens? Cntl+Tab to move backwards I think.

m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2011 8:14:48 AM

Normally it's shift-tab to go backwards.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 27, 2011 8:34:57 AM

Something else you could test out.
Turn off the NumLock on the keypad and use the 2/4/6/8 keys in place of the dedicated arrow keys.
m
l
January 29, 2011 8:33:28 PM

Thanks everyone--Unfortunately(?)--the problem doesnt seem to be a stuck key as I tried tab(same results)and the keypad arrow keys with numlock off---I didnt try another keyboard, but I dont think its a stuck key...

any other ideas?

Thanks,
---Yvette
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 31, 2011 7:42:59 AM

Try clearing CMOS.
There will be a jumper, or you can disconnect the PC from the mains and take out the CMOS battery and leave it for a few minutes.
m
l
February 23, 2012 7:27:05 PM

kamiblue_43 said:
Hello,I recently restored my system using a system image and I'm having an odd issue in the BIOS..If I enter BIOS and try to make a selection with the arrow keys--say I press the down arrow---The cursor just keeps highlighting the next item and loops around--to stop it from looping I have to hit another key say the right arrow key and try to end up at the selection I want..I was able to reset the BIOS to optimal settings to no avail..
I have a Gateway DX4831 running windows 7 64bit.

Thanks,
---Yvette

Did you ever resolve this? I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same computer (DX4831).

Jonathan.
m
l
February 29, 2012 11:16:09 PM

jmcphers said:
Did you ever resolve this? I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same computer (DX4831).

Jonathan.

Hi Jonathan,

I did...Unfortunately, I dont recall how....if I remember I'll post.

Sorry,
---Yvette
m
l
February 29, 2012 11:17:29 PM

Maybe I did what mi1ez suggested...sorry, cant recall
m
l
!