P4C800 - installing SATA hard drive

I'm new to the SATA hard drives, and was wondering if I can add the SATA
drive to the computer while keeping the existing UATA drive(s).
I actually have 2 uata drives now, but I would like to add a 3rd by using
the SATA cable.

Can this be done? Or do I have to take out one of the uata drives?

Also, any special instructions on using SATA drives because this is the
first one I've used.

thanks
Gary
3 answers Last reply
More about p4c800 installing sata hard drive

    In article <FoydnfWLY8ikZanfRVn-iA@eatel.net>, "GLeger"
    <legend96@NSPMeatel.net> wrote:

    > I'm new to the SATA hard drives, and was wondering if I can add the SATA
    > drive to the computer while keeping the existing UATA drive(s).
    > I actually have 2 uata drives now, but I would like to add a 3rd by using
    > the SATA cable.
    >
    > Can this be done? Or do I have to take out one of the uata drives?
    >
    > Also, any special instructions on using SATA drives because this is the
    > first one I've used.
    >
    > thanks
    > Gary

    It depends on the OS. Win2K and WinXP support six drives off the
    Southbridge. If you are using Win98SE, the answer is only four of
    six drives can be used.

    Think of the two SATA interfaces, as being equal to one IDE cable
    with a master and a slave on it. When you are in Win98SE, you can
    use any two of three "IDE cables" worth of drives. This is due to
    the clever emulation trick that Intel is using. When the BIOS is set
    to "Compatible" mode for the Southbridge, the SATA drives are made to
    look like an I/O mapped IDE cable. There are only standard IRQs for
    two IDE cables, and thus the two "cable" limit in Win98SE.

    If you select "Enhanced" mode in the BIOS, that is suitable for
    Win2K and WinXP. I think that is the default BIOS setting. That
    allows all three IDE "cables worth" of drives, to be used at the
    same time. In this case, the Southbridge maps the drives to the
    PCI bus, instead of the traditional I/O space.

    This is all explained in yout manual, usually in two different
    sections of the manual.

    There is some boring reference material here:
    http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/manuals/25267102.pdf

    Paul

    > In article <FoydnfWLY8ikZanfRVn-iA@eatel.net>, "GLeger"
    > <legend96@NSPMeatel.net> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm new to the SATA hard drives, and was wondering if I can add the SATA
    >> drive to the computer while keeping the existing UATA drive(s).
    >> I actually have 2 uata drives now, but I would like to add a 3rd by using
    >> the SATA cable.
    >>
    >> Can this be done? Or do I have to take out one of the uata drives?
    >>
    >> Also, any special instructions on using SATA drives because this is the
    >> first one I've used.
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> Gary
    >
    > It depends on the OS. Win2K and WinXP support six drives off the
    > Southbridge. If you are using Win98SE, the answer is only four of
    > six drives can be used.
    >
    > Think of the two SATA interfaces, as being equal to one IDE cable
    > with a master and a slave on it. When you are in Win98SE, you can
    > use any two of three "IDE cables" worth of drives. This is due to
    > the clever emulation trick that Intel is using. When the BIOS is set
    > to "Compatible" mode for the Southbridge, the SATA drives are made to
    > look like an I/O mapped IDE cable. There are only standard IRQs for
    > two IDE cables, and thus the two "cable" limit in Win98SE.
    >
    > If you select "Enhanced" mode in the BIOS, that is suitable for
    > Win2K and WinXP. I think that is the default BIOS setting. That
    > allows all three IDE "cables worth" of drives, to be used at the
    > same time. In this case, the Southbridge maps the drives to the
    > PCI bus, instead of the traditional I/O space.
    >
    > This is all explained in yout manual, usually in two different
    > sections of the manual.
    >
    > There is some boring reference material here:
    > http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/manuals/25267102.pdf
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks for the reply Paul!

    I will be adding the SATA drive, and will put WinXP on it, and use the
    existing drives as just extra space.
    I think that I will need to add some drivers! I'm saying this because I've
    had this motherboard for a while, and when
    it's booting, I remember seeing something about sata drivers missing, but
    never paid it any attention because
    I knew that I didn't have any SATA drives connected. I would imagine this
    file is on the drivers disc that came
    with the mobo?

    Oh well, I hope it works out.

    thanks
    Gary

    >>> I'm new to the SATA hard drives, and was wondering if I can add the SATA
    >>> drive to the computer while keeping the existing UATA drive(s).
    >>> I actually have 2 uata drives now, but I would like to add a 3rd by
    >>> using
    >>> the SATA cable.
    > I will be adding the SATA drive, and will put WinXP on it, and use the
    > existing drives as just extra space.
    > I think that I will need to add some drivers! I'm saying this because
    > I've had this motherboard for a while, and when
    > it's booting, I remember seeing something about sata drivers missing, but
    > never paid it any attention because
    > I knew that I didn't have any SATA drives connected. I would imagine this
    > file is on the drivers disc that came
    > with the mobo?

    Yes, you may to copy the SATA drivers off your motherboard
    CD. Press the F6 key during the Windows XP install process
    and then the 'S' key to install the driver. Also, it's recommended
    to remove your other hard drives so you don't accidentally
    delete something, etc. You can re-connect once everything
    is working and installed on the SATA drive.

    ---
    Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
    E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Asus SATA Hard Drives Motherboards