System Failed CPU Test

Hi.
I have a P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. Initially I had a P4 3.2C
northwood CPU installed but due to certain circumstances I had
upgraded to the P4 3.2E prescott CPU. The specs I am using is
* 2X 512 Corsair 3200 LL
* Radeon 9700pro
* 1X WD 200mb hdd (IDE)
* 1X WD 200mb hdd (SATA)

I guess that's all that relevant to explain. Anyhow, now to the
problem.

Initially when I installed the Prescott CPU, the system worked
relatively fine. I noticed a lot instantaneous system shutdowns when
the CORE got to 60+ degrees celcius. Also, mozilla firefox was
crashing everytime. You'd be able to sometimes browse but generally
90% of the time the browser was in a "not responding" status. Please
note that the Bios was flashed to the latest one at around december
2004 - so it is relatively current.

Therefore it prompted me to check the Processor drivers. Everything
looked fine so I decided to format and install a fresh copy of XP.
The mozilla problem still existed. Anyhow, I also noticed that the
system would shutdown during an installation of SP2. After numerous
times of re-formatting and re-installing, I could not get past the SP2
installation. (it was a hot day, and since installing SP2 is quite
CPU intensive, the core got too hot and shutdown the system).

Eventually the bios started hanging, and the System went down for
good. I switch the board on, the fans power up, but I get no video
output and hear the voice saying "System Failed CPU Test". The CPU is
working fine however. I have vigorously scoured the internet for
solutions over the past three days and have tried everything from
using an old VGA card - unplugging the keyboard USB and PS2 using
powerups and powerdowns. I've tried resetting the cmos and have even
taken out the battery. I've even taken out the motherboard from the
case, installed only the memory, CPU, video and PSU and even rebuilt
the system again. Nothing. I've tried everything possible and it has
brought me to this user group.

If anyone has any other solutions, please help.

Thanks.

Your bios must be 1017 or higher, and that board has issues with certain
models of the 9700 Pro. The only other thing I can think of would be the
heat. I'd use a good aftermarket cooler
"mthien" <michael.thien@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> I have a P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. Initially I had a P4 3.2C
> northwood CPU installed but due to certain circumstances I had
> upgraded to the P4 3.2E prescott CPU. The specs I am using is
> * 2X 512 Corsair 3200 LL
> * Radeon 9700pro
> * 1X WD 200mb hdd (IDE)
> * 1X WD 200mb hdd (SATA)
>
> I guess that's all that relevant to explain. Anyhow, now to the
> problem.
>
> Initially when I installed the Prescott CPU, the system worked
> relatively fine. I noticed a lot instantaneous system shutdowns when
> the CORE got to 60+ degrees celcius. Also, mozilla firefox was
> crashing everytime. You'd be able to sometimes browse but generally
> 90% of the time the browser was in a "not responding" status. Please
> note that the Bios was flashed to the latest one at around december
> 2004 - so it is relatively current.
>
> Therefore it prompted me to check the Processor drivers. Everything
> looked fine so I decided to format and install a fresh copy of XP.
> The mozilla problem still existed. Anyhow, I also noticed that the
> system would shutdown during an installation of SP2. After numerous
> times of re-formatting and re-installing, I could not get past the SP2
> installation. (it was a hot day, and since installing SP2 is quite
> CPU intensive, the core got too hot and shutdown the system).
>
> Eventually the bios started hanging, and the System went down for
> good. I switch the board on, the fans power up, but I get no video
> output and hear the voice saying "System Failed CPU Test". The CPU is
> working fine however. I have vigorously scoured the internet for
> solutions over the past three days and have tried everything from
> using an old VGA card - unplugging the keyboard USB and PS2 using
> powerups and powerdowns. I've tried resetting the cmos and have even
> taken out the battery. I've even taken out the motherboard from the
> case, installed only the memory, CPU, video and PSU and even rebuilt
> the system again. Nothing. I've tried everything possible and it has
> brought me to this user group.
>
> If anyone has any other solutions, please help.
>
> Thanks.

Confirm what bios you are running

Also when you took the Mb out of the case did you remove the cpu and reseat
it appliying new thermal paste? That CPU should not be overheating.

If so will pass this onto a asus tech I still have some contact with...

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:47:36 GMT, "Peacekeeper"
<turnertxxx@xxxbigpond.net.au> wrote:

>Confirm what bios you are running

This board shipped with 1015 which I flashed and upgraded to 1016 at
the time of install. Rev 1019 became available shortly thereafter and
is now up to rev 1021 I believe. I've not upgraded because I fear
upgrading more than I fear the "failed CPU test." Perhaps I'll
upgrade, but others who had the" failed CPU Test" problem found no
resolution at all with a BIOS upgrade.

>Also when you took the Mb out of the case did you remove the cpu and reseat
>it appliying new thermal paste? That CPU should not be overheating.

My system had been perfectly functional for several months before I
experienced the "System Failed CPU Test" problem which seemed to arise
one day completely "out of the blue" and for no discernable reason.
While I did re-set everything on the board as I attempted to
trouble-shoot the problem, I never actually removed the board from the
case. Nor did I remove the CPU.

This P-4 2.8C (Northwood) doesn't seem to have any temp-related
problems. It idles at about 32C and reaches 52C when I process
(encode) MPEG video. Coincidently, there is another active thread on
this forum (Northwood vs Prescott - 3/12/05) where I've asked about
these temps and feel reasonably certain these temp ranges are OK. My
greatest heat related concern is for the 3 hard drives which can be
running (off and on) for as much as 2 hours while processing a single
MPEG video for DVD burning.

>If so will pass this onto a asus tech I still have some contact with...

I thank you for taking the time and interest. There are more than a
few of us who would like some kind of definitive answer to this
problem. No one seems to have one.

Having the same problem of reporting system failed cpu test with an a7n8x-e
deluxe. New board with an 1100 athlon and tried an 1100 duron, switched out
ram, 2 cpu fans, changed ps. Got an Ati 9250...wonder if that could do it?
maybe will try an older vid card. Don't think I wanna take the board out
and put electrical tape over the brass standouts as a suggestion from Asus.
Gonna buy a newer chip I guess. It was for my dautr's computer which
doesn't need much speed so was tryin' to get by on the cheap. Runnin' outta
ideas.