Problens with sound.

Ron

Just yesterday I turned on my machine, and noticed that
the Windows XP welcome music did not play. I went through
the obvious things to try to correct the sound issue
(volume knob on speakers, mute button on keyboard,
speakers plugged in, etc.), but nothing worked. I started
to explore within Control Panel:Sound and Audio Devices,
and realized that within the entire dialog box and all
tabs, I had no options available to adjust or select.
Under the Volume tab, next to the speaker icon, it
reads "no audio device". I do have a sound card installed
(Sound Blaster Live!) and have been using it for about
two years. Here is what I have done as far as trouble
shooting efforts seperate from what I mentioned before:

1) Tried to "Adding Hardware" under control panel, but it
found the SB Live card and indicated the device was
working properly.

2) Removed the sound card from machine, changed BIOS
settings to use onboard sound and game controllers. No
luck.

The machine is a home built computer that has been
running flawlessly for about two years now. I recently
installed a wireless LAN, and this computer acts as the
server. But the sound issue arose nearly ten days after
installation, and sound has been present after the
installation.

Any Ideas on fixes or diagnostic procedures I can employ
to solve this mystery?

Ron

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001

Have you checked at http://kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs.htm ?

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

I am having the same problem, same sound card and
everything, however that website did not help any. Could
you provide any more direction?

Did you download the update for 'Creative Sound Labs' from the Windows
update site? Fixed it for me.
--
Ed H
Dell Dimension 4550, WinXP Home SP2