does not detect my netgear Wireless Router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
January 24, 2005 6:19:02 AM

have windows xp pro on Sony Viao laptop. Laptop has wireless capability.
Would like to use WZC to setup the laptop on my wireless LAN but it will not
auto detect it. What should I do? The wireless internal nic is 802.11b and
the Netgear Router (WRG614) is 802.11g but is compatible with 802.11b.
January 24, 2005 3:18:07 PM

do you have ssid broadcast enabled on the router?

"Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> have windows xp pro on Sony Viao laptop. Laptop has wireless capability.
> Would like to use WZC to setup the laptop on my wireless LAN but it will
not
> auto detect it. What should I do? The wireless internal nic is 802.11b
and
> the Netgear Router (WRG614) is 802.11g but is compatible with 802.11b.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
January 24, 2005 3:18:08 PM

Hi Dave,
Yes, broadcast is enabled by default. I have other computers with wireless
cards and they detect and connect fine BUT they are using NetGear wireless
devices vs my Sony that is using the internal NIC and WZC.

Thanks

"Dave" wrote:

> do you have ssid broadcast enabled on the router?
>
> "Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > have windows xp pro on Sony Viao laptop. Laptop has wireless capability.
> > Would like to use WZC to setup the laptop on my wireless LAN but it will
> not
> > auto detect it. What should I do? The wireless internal nic is 802.11b
> and
> > the Netgear Router (WRG614) is 802.11g but is compatible with 802.11b.

Related resources
January 24, 2005 3:18:09 PM

Pearl wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> Yes, broadcast is enabled by default. I have other computers with
> wireless cards and they detect and connect fine BUT they are using
> NetGear wireless devices vs my Sony that is using the internal NIC and
> WZC.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> do you have ssid broadcast enabled on the router?
>>
>> "Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > have windows xp pro on Sony Viao laptop. Laptop has wireless
>> > capability. Would like to use WZC to setup the laptop on my
>> > wireless LAN but it will not auto detect it. What should I do?

Most modern laptops have a button or switch to turn the wireless on/off.
Check on your laptop to make sure that switch is turned on.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

can not locate any switch to turn on the wireless internal nic.

One other mention. Don't know if affects results: This laptop is used in
an office with wired, SBS2003. When in the office, it is connected to the
Wired NIC (also internal)on the SBS2003 domain.

!