does not detect my netgear Wireless Router

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

have windows xp pro on Sony Viao laptop. Laptop has wireless capability.
Would like to use WZC to setup the laptop on my wireless LAN but it will not
auto detect it. What should I do? The wireless internal nic is 802.11b and
the Netgear Router (WRG614) is 802.11g but is compatible with 802.11b.
4 answers Last reply
More about does detect netgear wireless router
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    do you have ssid broadcast enabled on the router?

    "Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:8C966288-CE03-495F-AFE6-2295D7E04152@microsoft.com...
    > have windows xp pro on Sony Viao laptop. Laptop has wireless capability.
    > Would like to use WZC to setup the laptop on my wireless LAN but it will
    not
    > auto detect it. What should I do? The wireless internal nic is 802.11b
    and
    > the Netgear Router (WRG614) is 802.11g but is compatible with 802.11b.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Hi Dave,
    Yes, broadcast is enabled by default. I have other computers with wireless
    cards and they detect and connect fine BUT they are using NetGear wireless
    devices vs my Sony that is using the internal NIC and WZC.

    Thanks

    "Dave" wrote:

    > do you have ssid broadcast enabled on the router?
    >
    > "Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > news:8C966288-CE03-495F-AFE6-2295D7E04152@microsoft.com...
    > > have windows xp pro on Sony Viao laptop. Laptop has wireless capability.
    > > Would like to use WZC to setup the laptop on my wireless LAN but it will
    > not
    > > auto detect it. What should I do? The wireless internal nic is 802.11b
    > and
    > > the Netgear Router (WRG614) is 802.11g but is compatible with 802.11b.
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Pearl wrote:

    > Hi Dave,
    > Yes, broadcast is enabled by default. I have other computers with
    > wireless cards and they detect and connect fine BUT they are using
    > NetGear wireless devices vs my Sony that is using the internal NIC and
    > WZC.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Dave" wrote:
    >
    >> do you have ssid broadcast enabled on the router?
    >>
    >> "Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> news:8C966288-CE03-495F-AFE6-2295D7E04152@microsoft.com...
    >> > have windows xp pro on Sony Viao laptop. Laptop has wireless
    >> > capability. Would like to use WZC to setup the laptop on my
    >> > wireless LAN but it will not auto detect it. What should I do?

    Most modern laptops have a button or switch to turn the wireless on/off.
    Check on your laptop to make sure that switch is turned on.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    can not locate any switch to turn on the wireless internal nic.

    One other mention. Don't know if affects results: This laptop is used in
    an office with wired, SBS2003. When in the office, it is connected to the
    Wired NIC (also internal)on the SBS2003 domain.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Pearl wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Dave,
    > > Yes, broadcast is enabled by default. I have other computers with
    > > wireless cards and they detect and connect fine BUT they are using
    > > NetGear wireless devices vs my Sony that is using the internal NIC and
    > > WZC.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > "Dave" wrote:
    > >
    > >> do you have ssid broadcast enabled on the router?
    > >>
    > >> "Pearl" <Pearl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> news:8C966288-CE03-495F-AFE6-2295D7E04152@microsoft.com...
    > >> > have windows xp pro on Sony Viao laptop. Laptop has wireless
    > >> > capability. Would like to use WZC to setup the laptop on my
    > >> > wireless LAN but it will not auto detect it. What should I do?
    >
    > Most modern laptops have a button or switch to turn the wireless on/off.
    > Check on your laptop to make sure that switch is turned on.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Wireless Laptops WiFi and Home Networking Wireless Networking