How about this power supply, or any better $?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2005 3:06:25 PM

Guys,

First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.

I am looking at this supply,

http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noist...

The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
better overclocking etc.

My system specs will be these:

Asus A8V (later on I may end up getting a SLI motherboard succh as the DFI
Lanboy UT)

1 up to 2 Gig (2 to 4 sticks of RAM) in Dual Channel mode. Possibly either
Patriot or OCZ TCCD RAM

A Sapphire 9600 Pro vid card (will be a better card later on obviously)

Up to 6 hard drives (Important to me) 4 in SATA two in PATA.

1 DVD Burner

1 CD Burner

Several fans, 1 CPU, 3 to 5 Case fans run at lower speeds via fan control
for quietness but improved air flow (1 top blow hole, 1 or 2 rear, 1 facing
CPU/Video card(s) 1 to 2 in front of case, depending upon the case, I want
to keep the hard drives cool, they get hot).

2 Cold Cathode lamps (I have them, so I might as well use them).

Added Sound Card with Live! Drive.

Case will be a full tower until I build my "hand made from scratch case" in
a year or so.

So... I want a Power Supply that will support a high performance AGP video
card for now, but will support a PCI Express SLI setup later, and all of
the above specs. I have calculated that it would be best to get a good
strong 600 Watter at least, since I will be eventually running a lot of
hard drives as I accumulate them.

If there is a case comperable to this Enermax case for a lower price let me
know, and no matter what, I'd love some opinions on what cases you all
like, where to get them, and what *you* use.

More about : power supply

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2005 3:32:24 PM

Tom's Hardware did a review of high performance power supplies back on
February 28, 2005, here's the link:

http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/index.html

The Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) ATX12V 2.0 600 Watt power supply was
rated in the top three with a price of around $180US.

"signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Guys,
>
> First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
> advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
> to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.
>
> I am looking at this supply,
>
> http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noist...
>
> The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
> on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
> better overclocking etc.
>
> My system specs will be these:
>
> Asus A8V (later on I may end up getting a SLI motherboard succh as the DFI
> Lanboy UT)
>
> 1 up to 2 Gig (2 to 4 sticks of RAM) in Dual Channel mode. Possibly
> either
> Patriot or OCZ TCCD RAM
>
> A Sapphire 9600 Pro vid card (will be a better card later on obviously)
>
> Up to 6 hard drives (Important to me) 4 in SATA two in PATA.
>
> 1 DVD Burner
>
> 1 CD Burner
>
> Several fans, 1 CPU, 3 to 5 Case fans run at lower speeds via fan control
> for quietness but improved air flow (1 top blow hole, 1 or 2 rear, 1
> facing
> CPU/Video card(s) 1 to 2 in front of case, depending upon the case, I want
> to keep the hard drives cool, they get hot).
>
> 2 Cold Cathode lamps (I have them, so I might as well use them).
>
> Added Sound Card with Live! Drive.
>
> Case will be a full tower until I build my "hand made from scratch case"
> in
> a year or so.
>
> So... I want a Power Supply that will support a high performance AGP
> video
> card for now, but will support a PCI Express SLI setup later, and all of
> the above specs. I have calculated that it would be best to get a good
> strong 600 Watter at least, since I will be eventually running a lot of
> hard drives as I accumulate them.
>
> If there is a case comperable to this Enermax case for a lower price let
> me
> know, and no matter what, I'd love some opinions on what cases you all
> like, where to get them, and what *you* use.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 14, 2005 7:00:44 PM

The hands down best winner of most stable power supply is the conservatively
rated Antec 550 Watt True Power supply. It uses very rugged long lasting
parts.

--
DaveW

"signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Guys,
>
> First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
> advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
> to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.
>
> I am looking at this supply,
>
> http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noist...
>
> The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
> on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
> better overclocking etc.
>
> My system specs will be these:
>
> Asus A8V (later on I may end up getting a SLI motherboard succh as the DFI
> Lanboy UT)
>
> 1 up to 2 Gig (2 to 4 sticks of RAM) in Dual Channel mode. Possibly
> either
> Patriot or OCZ TCCD RAM
>
> A Sapphire 9600 Pro vid card (will be a better card later on obviously)
>
> Up to 6 hard drives (Important to me) 4 in SATA two in PATA.
>
> 1 DVD Burner
>
> 1 CD Burner
>
> Several fans, 1 CPU, 3 to 5 Case fans run at lower speeds via fan control
> for quietness but improved air flow (1 top blow hole, 1 or 2 rear, 1
> facing
> CPU/Video card(s) 1 to 2 in front of case, depending upon the case, I want
> to keep the hard drives cool, they get hot).
>
> 2 Cold Cathode lamps (I have them, so I might as well use them).
>
> Added Sound Card with Live! Drive.
>
> Case will be a full tower until I build my "hand made from scratch case"
> in
> a year or so.
>
> So... I want a Power Supply that will support a high performance AGP
> video
> card for now, but will support a PCI Express SLI setup later, and all of
> the above specs. I have calculated that it would be best to get a good
> strong 600 Watter at least, since I will be eventually running a lot of
> hard drives as I accumulate them.
>
> If there is a case comperable to this Enermax case for a lower price let
> me
> know, and no matter what, I'd love some opinions on what cases you all
> like, where to get them, and what *you* use.
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 3:09:00 AM

Homer J. Simpson wrote:
> Tom's Hardware did a review of high performance power supplies back on
> February 28, 2005, here's the link:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/index.html
>
> The Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) ATX12V 2.0 600 Watt power supply was
> rated in the top three with a price of around $180US.

Hmm, not much of a Test. Where are the numbers?

Here's a PSU review:

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?p...

Ben
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 5:01:13 AM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:00:44 -0800, DaveW wrote:

> The hands down best winner of most stable power supply is the conservatively
> rated Antec 550 Watt True Power supply. It uses very rugged long lasting
> parts.

But Dave, some people are having compatibility issues with some Antecs and
ASUS motherboards it seems. So I don't want to get an Antec.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 5:01:14 AM

No Antec problems here. I heard there was an issue with a specific board and
the power supply I have but it hasn't been the case for me so far. Antec
makes good power supplies and if there's a problem they fix it. They also
have a long warranty. I've had several in the past, still have two and
they've been rock solid.
I have a 380W Antec from a Sonata, it's been transplanted into another case
because it's the quietest one I own, the pc is on pretty much 24/7. The
system is nearly silent and very stable under heavy loads, including gaming.
It spends several hours a day at or near 100% CPU utilization (for extended
periods like an hour at a time in many cases). I'm running an A8V with a
3200 and 2Gb of memory (4x512), 3 hard drives, 2 opticals, card reader, 3
fans, ATI All-in-Wonder, another two PCI cards. No problems so far. Your
estimate of a 600W is more than adequate. The Antec 550W would do fine, you
might be able to do it with a 480W?

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:00:44 -0800, DaveW wrote:
>
>> The hands down best winner of most stable power supply is the
>> conservatively
>> rated Antec 550 Watt True Power supply. It uses very rugged long lasting
>> parts.
>
> But Dave, some people are having compatibility issues with some Antecs and
> ASUS motherboards it seems. So I don't want to get an Antec.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 5:02:44 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:00 +0000, Ben Pope wrote:

> Homer J. Simpson wrote:
>> Tom's Hardware did a review of high performance power supplies back on
>> February 28, 2005, here's the link:
>>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/index.html
>>
>> The Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) ATX12V 2.0 600 Watt power supply was
>> rated in the top three with a price of around $180US.
>
> Hmm, not much of a Test. Where are the numbers?
>
> Here's a PSU review:
>
> http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?p...
>
> Ben

Ben, that review doesn't review the supply that I am talking about getting,
so how do I know if that review reflects anything on the one I want maybe?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 10:14:54 PM

signmeuptoo wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:00 +0000, Ben Pope wrote:
>

>>Homer J. Simpson wrote:
>>
>>>Tom's Hardware did a review of high performance power supplies back on
>>>February 28, 2005, here's the link:
>>>
>>>http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/index.html
>>>
>>>The Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) ATX12V 2.0 600 Watt power supply was
>>>rated in the top three with a price of around $180US.
>>
>>Hmm, not much of a Test. Where are the numbers?
>>
>>Here's a PSU review:
>>
>>http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?p...
>>
>>Ben
>

> Ben, that review doesn't review the supply that I am talking about getting,
> so how do I know if that review reflects anything on the one I want maybe?

You don't.

I was giving it as an example of a decent review. One with numbers,
rather than one that says "It's ugly but it works, we like it".

There is an Enermax Coolergiant in there, and it performs quite well -
it would probably be plenty for the system you have in mind. I suspect
the PSU you looked at to be better than that one. Of course, they might
have fouled something up in the one you're looking it, but then, there
may be a manufacturing defect between different instances of the same
PSU. The likelihood of poorer performance on a more expensive PSU
fromthe same munfucaturer is probably similar to the likelihood of
differences between the same model.

You have to judge the information yourself.

Ben
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 15, 2005 10:29:29 PM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:14:54 +0000, Ben Pope
<ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote:

>signmeuptoo wrote:

>>>Hmm, not much of a Test. Where are the numbers?
>>>
>>>Here's a PSU review:
>>>
>>>http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?p...
>>>
>>>Ben
>>

>> Ben, that review doesn't review the supply that I am talking about getting,
>> so how do I know if that review reflects anything on the one I want maybe?
>
>You don't.
>
>I was giving it as an example of a decent review. One with numbers,
>rather than one that says "It's ugly but it works, we like it".
>
>There is an Enermax Coolergiant in there, and it performs quite well -
>it would probably be plenty for the system you have in mind. I suspect
>the PSU you looked at to be better than that one. Of course, they might
>have fouled something up in the one you're looking it, but then, there
>may be a manufacturing defect between different instances of the same
>PSU. The likelihood of poorer performance on a more expensive PSU
>fromthe same munfucaturer is probably similar to the likelihood of
>differences between the same model.
>
>You have to judge the information yourself.
>
>Ben

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 120,000 groups
Unlimited download
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2005 5:50:07 AM

About 4 months ago I bought me one of these
http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/coole...
It runs my A7N8X del ver 2.0 with 2 SATA drives/2 DVD recorders/1 IDE
drive/Radeon Video/Hauppage TV Card/5Fans/etc etc nicely.
No surges no jumps Power to spare.
I believe in Enermax
peterk
"signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:00:44 -0800, DaveW wrote:
>
>> The hands down best winner of most stable power supply is the
>> conservatively
>> rated Antec 550 Watt True Power supply. It uses very rugged long lasting
>> parts.
>
> But Dave, some people are having compatibility issues with some Antecs and
> ASUS motherboards it seems. So I don't want to get an Antec.
March 16, 2005 2:32:19 PM

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:06:25 GMT, signmeuptoo
<signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Guys,
>
>First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
>advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
>to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.
>
>I am looking at this supply,
>
>http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noist...
>
>The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
>on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
>better overclocking etc

I've got that one and it's very good

The Antec Truepower 550W didn't like the Asus A8N Deluxe SLI mobo...
smell of burning and so on :)
March 19, 2005 8:29:35 PM

signmeuptoo wrote:
> Guys,
>
> First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
> advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
> to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.
>
> I am looking at this supply,
>
> http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noist...
>
> The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
> on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
> better overclocking etc.
>
> My system specs will be these:
>
> Asus A8V (later on I may end up getting a SLI motherboard succh as the DFI
> Lanboy UT)
>
> 1 up to 2 Gig (2 to 4 sticks of RAM) in Dual Channel mode. Possibly either
> Patriot or OCZ TCCD RAM
>
> A Sapphire 9600 Pro vid card (will be a better card later on obviously)
>
> Up to 6 hard drives (Important to me) 4 in SATA two in PATA.
>
> 1 DVD Burner
>
> 1 CD Burner
>
> Several fans, 1 CPU, 3 to 5 Case fans run at lower speeds via fan control
> for quietness but improved air flow (1 top blow hole, 1 or 2 rear, 1 facing
> CPU/Video card(s) 1 to 2 in front of case, depending upon the case, I want
> to keep the hard drives cool, they get hot).
>
> 2 Cold Cathode lamps (I have them, so I might as well use them).
>
> Added Sound Card with Live! Drive.
>
> Case will be a full tower until I build my "hand made from scratch case" in
> a year or so.
>
> So... I want a Power Supply that will support a high performance AGP video
> card for now, but will support a PCI Express SLI setup later, and all of
> the above specs. I have calculated that it would be best to get a good
> strong 600 Watter at least, since I will be eventually running a lot of
> hard drives as I accumulate them.
>
> If there is a case comperable to this Enermax case for a lower price let me
> know, and no matter what, I'd love some opinions on what cases you all
> like, where to get them, and what *you* use.
I'm using that very supply with the Asus A8V board with the AMD 3500
processor with no problems.
I've used several Enermax supplies over the past several years and none
of them has given may any problems.
!