How about this power supply, or any better $?

Guys,

First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.

I am looking at this supply,

http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noistakerax2/index.htm#

The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
better overclocking etc.

My system specs will be these:

Asus A8V (later on I may end up getting a SLI motherboard succh as the DFI
Lanboy UT)

1 up to 2 Gig (2 to 4 sticks of RAM) in Dual Channel mode. Possibly either
Patriot or OCZ TCCD RAM

A Sapphire 9600 Pro vid card (will be a better card later on obviously)

Up to 6 hard drives (Important to me) 4 in SATA two in PATA.

1 DVD Burner

1 CD Burner

Several fans, 1 CPU, 3 to 5 Case fans run at lower speeds via fan control
for quietness but improved air flow (1 top blow hole, 1 or 2 rear, 1 facing
CPU/Video card(s) 1 to 2 in front of case, depending upon the case, I want
to keep the hard drives cool, they get hot).

2 Cold Cathode lamps (I have them, so I might as well use them).

Added Sound Card with Live! Drive.

Case will be a full tower until I build my "hand made from scratch case" in
a year or so.

So... I want a Power Supply that will support a high performance AGP video
card for now, but will support a PCI Express SLI setup later, and all of
the above specs. I have calculated that it would be best to get a good
strong 600 Watter at least, since I will be eventually running a lot of
hard drives as I accumulate them.

If there is a case comperable to this Enermax case for a lower price let me
know, and no matter what, I'd love some opinions on what cases you all
like, where to get them, and what *you* use.
11 answers Last reply
More about power supply

    Tom's Hardware did a review of high performance power supplies back on
    February 28, 2005, here's the link:

    http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/index.html

    The Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) ATX12V 2.0 600 Watt power supply was
    rated in the top three with a price of around $180US.

    "signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Guys,
    >
    > First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
    > advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
    > to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.
    >
    > I am looking at this supply,
    >
    > http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noistakerax2/index.htm#
    >
    > The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
    > on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
    > better overclocking etc.
    >
    > My system specs will be these:
    >
    > Asus A8V (later on I may end up getting a SLI motherboard succh as the DFI
    > Lanboy UT)
    >
    > 1 up to 2 Gig (2 to 4 sticks of RAM) in Dual Channel mode. Possibly
    > either
    > Patriot or OCZ TCCD RAM
    >
    > A Sapphire 9600 Pro vid card (will be a better card later on obviously)
    >
    > Up to 6 hard drives (Important to me) 4 in SATA two in PATA.
    >
    > 1 DVD Burner
    >
    > 1 CD Burner
    >
    > Several fans, 1 CPU, 3 to 5 Case fans run at lower speeds via fan control
    > for quietness but improved air flow (1 top blow hole, 1 or 2 rear, 1
    > facing
    > CPU/Video card(s) 1 to 2 in front of case, depending upon the case, I want
    > to keep the hard drives cool, they get hot).
    >
    > 2 Cold Cathode lamps (I have them, so I might as well use them).
    >
    > Added Sound Card with Live! Drive.
    >
    > Case will be a full tower until I build my "hand made from scratch case"
    > in
    > a year or so.
    >
    > So... I want a Power Supply that will support a high performance AGP
    > video
    > card for now, but will support a PCI Express SLI setup later, and all of
    > the above specs. I have calculated that it would be best to get a good
    > strong 600 Watter at least, since I will be eventually running a lot of
    > hard drives as I accumulate them.
    >
    > If there is a case comperable to this Enermax case for a lower price let
    > me
    > know, and no matter what, I'd love some opinions on what cases you all
    > like, where to get them, and what *you* use.

    The hands down best winner of most stable power supply is the conservatively
    rated Antec 550 Watt True Power supply. It uses very rugged long lasting
    parts.

    --
    DaveW

    Homer J. Simpson wrote:
    > Tom's Hardware did a review of high performance power supplies back on
    > February 28, 2005, here's the link:
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/index.html
    >
    > The Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) ATX12V 2.0 600 Watt power supply was
    > rated in the top three with a price of around $180US.

    Hmm, not much of a Test. Where are the numbers?

    Here's a PSU review:

    http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1

    Ben

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:00:44 -0800, DaveW wrote:

    > The hands down best winner of most stable power supply is the conservatively
    > rated Antec 550 Watt True Power supply. It uses very rugged long lasting
    > parts.

    But Dave, some people are having compatibility issues with some Antecs and
    ASUS motherboards it seems. So I don't want to get an Antec.

    No Antec problems here. I heard there was an issue with a specific board and
    the power supply I have but it hasn't been the case for me so far. Antec
    makes good power supplies and if there's a problem they fix it. They also
    have a long warranty. I've had several in the past, still have two and
    they've been rock solid.
    I have a 380W Antec from a Sonata, it's been transplanted into another case
    because it's the quietest one I own, the pc is on pretty much 24/7. The
    system is nearly silent and very stable under heavy loads, including gaming.
    It spends several hours a day at or near 100% CPU utilization (for extended
    periods like an hour at a time in many cases). I'm running an A8V with a
    3200 and 2Gb of memory (4x512), 3 hard drives, 2 opticals, card reader, 3
    fans, ATI All-in-Wonder, another two PCI cards. No problems so far. Your
    estimate of a 600W is more than adequate. The Antec 550W would do fine, you
    might be able to do it with a 480W?

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:00 +0000, Ben Pope wrote:

    > Homer J. Simpson wrote:
    >> Tom's Hardware did a review of high performance power supplies back on
    >> February 28, 2005, here's the link:
    >>
    >> http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/index.html
    >>
    >> The Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) ATX12V 2.0 600 Watt power supply was
    >> rated in the top three with a price of around $180US.
    >
    > Hmm, not much of a Test. Where are the numbers?
    >
    > Here's a PSU review:
    >
    > http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1
    >
    > Ben

    Ben, that review doesn't review the supply that I am talking about getting,
    so how do I know if that review reflects anything on the one I want maybe?

    signmeuptoo wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 00:09:00 +0000, Ben Pope wrote:
    >

    >>Homer J. Simpson wrote:
    >>
    >>>Tom's Hardware did a review of high performance power supplies back on
    >>>February 28, 2005, here's the link:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20050228/index.html
    >>>
    >>>The Enermax Noisetaker EG701AX-VE(W) ATX12V 2.0 600 Watt power supply was
    >>>rated in the top three with a price of around $180US.
    >>
    >>Hmm, not much of a Test. Where are the numbers?
    >>
    >>Here's a PSU review:
    >>
    >>http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1
    >>
    >>Ben
    >

    > Ben, that review doesn't review the supply that I am talking about getting,
    > so how do I know if that review reflects anything on the one I want maybe?

    You don't.

    I was giving it as an example of a decent review. One with numbers,
    rather than one that says "It's ugly but it works, we like it".

    There is an Enermax Coolergiant in there, and it performs quite well -
    it would probably be plenty for the system you have in mind. I suspect
    the PSU you looked at to be better than that one. Of course, they might
    have fouled something up in the one you're looking it, but then, there
    may be a manufacturing defect between different instances of the same
    PSU. The likelihood of poorer performance on a more expensive PSU
    fromthe same munfucaturer is probably similar to the likelihood of
    differences between the same model.

    You have to judge the information yourself.

    Ben

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 19:14:54 +0000, Ben Pope
    <ben_popeREMOVE_ME@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >signmeuptoo wrote:

    >>>Hmm, not much of a Test. Where are the numbers?
    >>>
    >>>Here's a PSU review:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/psus/index.x?pg=1
    >>>
    >>>Ben
    >>

    >> Ben, that review doesn't review the supply that I am talking about getting,
    >> so how do I know if that review reflects anything on the one I want maybe?
    >
    >You don't.
    >
    >I was giving it as an example of a decent review. One with numbers,
    >rather than one that says "It's ugly but it works, we like it".
    >
    >There is an Enermax Coolergiant in there, and it performs quite well -
    >it would probably be plenty for the system you have in mind. I suspect
    >the PSU you looked at to be better than that one. Of course, they might
    >have fouled something up in the one you're looking it, but then, there
    >may be a manufacturing defect between different instances of the same
    >PSU. The likelihood of poorer performance on a more expensive PSU
    >fromthe same munfucaturer is probably similar to the likelihood of
    >differences between the same model.
    >
    >You have to judge the information yourself.
    >
    >Ben

    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 120,000 groups
    Unlimited download

    About 4 months ago I bought me one of these
    http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/coolergiant2/index.htm
    It runs my A7N8X del ver 2.0 with 2 SATA drives/2 DVD recorders/1 IDE
    drive/Radeon Video/Hauppage TV Card/5Fans/etc etc nicely.
    No surges no jumps Power to spare.
    I believe in Enermax
    peterk
    "signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:00:44 -0800, DaveW wrote:
    >
    >> The hands down best winner of most stable power supply is the
    >> conservatively
    >> rated Antec 550 Watt True Power supply. It uses very rugged long lasting
    >> parts.
    >
    > But Dave, some people are having compatibility issues with some Antecs and
    > ASUS motherboards it seems. So I don't want to get an Antec.

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:06:25 GMT, signmeuptoo
    <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Guys,
    >
    >First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
    >advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
    >to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.
    >
    >I am looking at this supply,
    >
    >http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noistakerax2/index.htm#
    >
    >The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
    >on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
    >better overclocking etc

    I've got that one and it's very good

    The Antec Truepower 550W didn't like the Asus A8N Deluxe SLI mobo...
    smell of burning and so on :)

    signmeuptoo wrote:
    > Guys,
    >
    > First off I have to order a power supply in the next few days. I need
    > advice on what to order. Price is a concern, but I am willing to spend up
    > to $200 shipping and tax included, if there is shipping or tax.
    >
    > I am looking at this supply,
    >
    > http://www.maxpoint.com/products/pow_supp/spec_pg/noistakerax2/index.htm#
    >
    > The Enermax Noisetaker AX 2.0. It offers excellent specs, even the ripple
    > on the 12V #1 rail is very low so that the CPU/RAM get a clean source for
    > better overclocking etc.
    >
    > My system specs will be these:
    >
    > Asus A8V (later on I may end up getting a SLI motherboard succh as the DFI
    > Lanboy UT)
    >
    > 1 up to 2 Gig (2 to 4 sticks of RAM) in Dual Channel mode. Possibly either
    > Patriot or OCZ TCCD RAM
    >
    > A Sapphire 9600 Pro vid card (will be a better card later on obviously)
    >
    > Up to 6 hard drives (Important to me) 4 in SATA two in PATA.
    >
    > 1 DVD Burner
    >
    > 1 CD Burner
    >
    > Several fans, 1 CPU, 3 to 5 Case fans run at lower speeds via fan control
    > for quietness but improved air flow (1 top blow hole, 1 or 2 rear, 1 facing
    > CPU/Video card(s) 1 to 2 in front of case, depending upon the case, I want
    > to keep the hard drives cool, they get hot).
    >
    > 2 Cold Cathode lamps (I have them, so I might as well use them).
    >
    > Added Sound Card with Live! Drive.
    >
    > Case will be a full tower until I build my "hand made from scratch case" in
    > a year or so.
    >
    > So... I want a Power Supply that will support a high performance AGP video
    > card for now, but will support a PCI Express SLI setup later, and all of
    > the above specs. I have calculated that it would be best to get a good
    > strong 600 Watter at least, since I will be eventually running a lot of
    > hard drives as I accumulate them.
    >
    > If there is a case comperable to this Enermax case for a lower price let me
    > know, and no matter what, I'd love some opinions on what cases you all
    > like, where to get them, and what *you* use.
    I'm using that very supply with the Asus A8V board with the AMD 3500
    processor with no problems.
    I've used several Enermax supplies over the past several years and none
    of them has given may any problems.

Asus Power Supplies Motherboards Product