P4C800 E Deluxe fails Intel's Hyper-Threading Technology T..

My fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP2 fails to enable the HT
mode of my P4 3.2 Prescott. I only get a single CPU. I ran Intel's
test utility and it passed the cpu and chipset test but failed the
bios test. I tried the latest beta bios and it still fails. Is this a
common problem or do I possibly have bad board?

The bios says it's enabled. That's what puzzles me.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:34:11 +0000, BananaOfTheNight
<bananaofthenight@hotmail.com.nospaam.please> wrote:

>Did you enable it in the BIOS options?

> The bios says it's enabled. That's what puzzles me.

Strange. Unfortunately, I don't have a new-generation P4 (or a
P4C800-E...), so I can't really do much more.

IS "one graph per cpu" enabled in Task Manger?

I'm only have the option for one graph. That's because the Windows
installed the single processor kernel and not the multi processor
version. My question is why the Windows installer didn't know what cpu
I have. My board came a version of bios that supported model of cpu I
have.

"Bill E" <ill@ea.se> wrote in message

> I'm only have the option for one graph. That's because the Windows
> installed the single processor kernel and not the multi processor
> version. My question is why the Windows installer didn't know what cpu
> I have. My board came a version of bios that supported model of cpu I
> have.
>
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:17:17 -0500, "Clark Griswold" <f@i.net> wrote:
>
>>IS "one graph per cpu" enabled in Task Manger?

Did you install the chipset drivers yet? My P2.6 installed just fine on the
same board. Didn't check the HTT until after the chipset drivers were
installed.Check with Intel and Microsoft support to see if they can help.

> My fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP2 fails to enable the HT
> mode of my P4 3.2 Prescott. I only get a single CPU. I ran Intel's
> test utility and it passed the cpu and chipset test but failed the
> bios test. I tried the latest beta bios and it still fails. Is this a
> common problem or do I possibly have bad board?

Make sure you have at least BIOS 1015 version
P4C800-E Deluxe supports the new cpu's (Prescott) from this version

Frank

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:11:38 GMT, "FrankB"
<frankbon@remove.me.ntlworld.com.ukukuk> wrote:

>"Bill E" <ill@ea.se> wrote in message
>> My fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP2 fails to enable the HT
>> mode of my P4 3.2 Prescott. I only get a single CPU. I ran Intel's
>> test utility and it passed the cpu and chipset test but failed the
>> bios test. I tried the latest beta bios and it still fails. Is this a
>> common problem or do I possibly have bad board?
>

>Make sure you have at least BIOS 1015 version
>P4C800-E Deluxe supports the new cpu's (Prescott) from this version
>
>Frank

I've gone as high as beta 1021 of the bios and the Intel test still
fails the bios part while passing the cpu and chipset tests.
Windows didn't install the multi processor kernel.

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 21:53:03 -0500, "Clark Griswold" <f@i.net> wrote:

>"Bill E" <ill@ea.se> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm only have the option for one graph. That's because the Windows
>> installed the single processor kernel and not the multi processor
>> version. My question is why the Windows installer didn't know what cpu
>> I have. My board came a version of bios that supported model of cpu I
>> have.
>>
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:17:17 -0500, "Clark Griswold" <f@i.net> wrote:
>>
>>>IS "one graph per cpu" enabled in Task Manger?
>>>

>Did you install the chipset drivers yet? My P2.6 installed just fine on the
>same board. Didn't check the HTT until after the chipset drivers were
>installed.Check with Intel and Microsoft support to see if they can help.

I have chipset driver installed. No "new device found" window as I
would expect. Intel's test just refers test failures to the mb maker.
Microsoft will probably say the same thing. It's an ASUS problem.
Their helpdesk is closed to new members until they upgrade their
software.

Bill E wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:11:38 GMT, "FrankB"
> <frankbon@remove.me.ntlworld.com.ukukuk> wrote:
>

>>"Bill E" <ill@ea.se> wrote in message
>>
>>>My fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP2 fails to enable the HT
>>>mode of my P4 3.2 Prescott. I only get a single CPU. I ran Intel's
>>>test utility and it passed the cpu and chipset test but failed the
>>>bios test. I tried the latest beta bios and it still fails. Is this a
>>>common problem or do I possibly have bad board?
>>

>>Make sure you have at least BIOS 1015 version
>>P4C800-E Deluxe supports the new cpu's (Prescott) from this version
>>
>>Frank
>>

> I've gone as high as beta 1021 of the bios and the Intel test still
> fails the bios part while passing the cpu and chipset tests.
> Windows didn't install the multi processor kernel.

What does your system type show as in Device Manager? On a HT system it
should be ACPI Multiprocessor PC. If it's ACPI Uniprocessor PC or isn't
ACPI at all, that would be the problem. In that case, things to check
would be any options to do with ACPI or the MP table in the BIOS.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Robert Hancock <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message news:<ckCZd.688502$6l.111051@pd7tw2no>...
> Bill E wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 07:11:38 GMT, "FrankB"
> > <frankbon@remove.me.ntlworld.com.ukukuk> wrote:
> >

> >>"Bill E" <ill@ea.se> wrote in message

> >>Make sure you have at least BIOS 1015 version
> >>P4C800-E Deluxe supports the new cpu's (Prescott) from this version
> >>
> >>Frank
> >>

> > I've gone as high as beta 1021 of the bios and the Intel test still
> > fails the bios part while passing the cpu and chipset tests.
> > Windows didn't install the multi processor kernel.
> >

> What does your system type show as in Device Manager? On a HT system it
> should be ACPI Multiprocessor PC. If it's ACPI Uniprocessor PC or isn't
> ACPI at all, that would be the problem. In that case, things to check
> would be any options to do with ACPI or the MP table in the BIOS.

I also had similar problems with the board. My system was a P4C800
deluxe, P4 3.2E prescott, TT butterfly 480W PSU, Corsair LL 3200.
Unfortunately the board has died on me and I have been unable to get
it up since. My Bios drivers were exactly the same as yours. I'd
reccomend a roll back of your bios to the previous version (get rid of
that beta bios version). Have you tried restoring your defualt bios
settings? Also, just out of curiousity, how does mozilla firefox run?
Because I had a lot of problems running mozilla with the prescott CPU
(it would always momentarilly hang).

I RMA'd my board 1 year ago, and am contemplating whether to bother
again (I can't stand Asus tech support). Anyhow, I have since bought
a new motherboard (MSI) and am never purchasing an Asus product again.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 14:30:32 GMT, Robert Hancock
<hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote:

>What does your system type show as in Device Manager? On a HT system it
>should be ACPI Multiprocessor PC. If it's ACPI Uniprocessor PC or isn't
>ACPI at all, that would be the problem. In that case, things to check
>would be any options to do with ACPI or the MP table in the BIOS.

It shows "Standard PC" in the Device Manager.
By default ACPI 2.0 Support is "No" in the bios setup on the P4C800-E.
I had installed Win XP Pro when the box said "no". I changed it to
"Yes" and nothing magic happened when I rebooted. The Intel test still
failed. So I reinstalled XP again and after the first reboot I saw the
HT in the P4 boot logo that wasn't there before. All is fine now.

Bill

TRENDING THREADS