CDRW Suddenly Has Diappeared

My CDRW suddenly disappeared. It does not show up in the BIOS or in Device
Manager. After reading old posts, I deleted, the UpperFilter and
LowerFilter keys from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
E-BFC1-08002BE10318} and rebooted to no avail. How do I get my CDRW back?
It was working just a few days ago. The only thing I did recently was a
defrag of my hard drive.

If it does not show up in the BIOS, it is not Windows causing the
problem. Open the case and make sure everything is connected properly.
Play with the BIOS until you get your drive back. If you don't get it
back in the BIOS, you are NEVER going to get it back in Windows.

Also, I'm not sure what you deleted there, but playing in the registry
is dangerous. I would suggest going here and removing the key
containing your drive name though:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\IDE\

----
Nathan McNulty

Terry Smerling wrote:
> My CDRW suddenly disappeared. It does not show up in the BIOS or in Device
> Manager. After reading old posts, I deleted, the UpperFilter and
> LowerFilter keys from
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
> E-BFC1-08002BE10318} and rebooted to no avail. How do I get my CDRW back?
> It was working just a few days ago. The only thing I did recently was a
> defrag of my hard drive.

Cody

If the only thing you have done is defrag, Try the USB
CDRW on another computer. If that fails you have a bad
CDRW drive. If it does work, Try some other usb devices on
your computor, do those work?

Cody
MCSE

Umm, where are you getting USB CDRW? Also, if it doesn't show in the
BIOS, it isn't a Windows problem.

----
Nathan McNulty