S-ATA drivers

Hi
Is it possible to use a USB thumbdrive to install the S-ATA drivers when
installing windows if you do not have a floppy drive?
Thanks
Ken'

Venom

No.

Ken' wrote:
> Hi
> Is it possible to use a USB thumbdrive to install the S-ATA drivers when
> installing windows if you do not have a floppy drive?
> Thanks
> Ken'

No.. Windows is stubborn enough that it requires the drivers be loaded
from a real, "legacy" floppy drive (not a USB floppy).

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada

Hi
Does it matter if my Windows Home disk is a pre SP1 version or not. Does a
disk with SP1 do it any different?
Ken'

"Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote in message
> Hi
> Is it possible to use a USB thumbdrive to install the S-ATA drivers when
> installing windows if you do not have a floppy drive?
> Thanks
> Ken'

No.

--
DaveW

Ken' wrote:
> Hi
> Is it possible to use a USB thumbdrive to install the S-ATA drivers when
> installing windows if you do not have a floppy drive?
> Thanks
> Ken'

I doubt it.

The only way I could think of would be with floppy emulation on the USB
device, but then you don't actually boot off of the drive, so the
emulation won't kick in?

Ben

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

You can create a slipstream XP CD that includes the required drivers.
Google for XP Slipstream - there are many quick and easy utilities out
there. Check the utility you choose provides an easy mechanism for adding
the drivers in.

Or.

Use a floppy.

"Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote in message
> You can create a slipstream XP CD that includes the required drivers.
> Google for XP Slipstream - there are many quick and easy utilities out
> there. Check the utility you choose provides an easy mechanism for adding
> the drivers in.
>
> Or.
>
> Use a floppy.

Impossible for Windows to recognize the drivers on the cd. Like the other
posters said and you will find out, they must be on a floppy. When you hit
F6 it looks at the floppy for the drivers, not the cd, not the hard drive,
not the USB devices, etc.

Clark Griswold wrote:
> "Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote in message
>
>>You can create a slipstream XP CD that includes the required drivers.
>>Google for XP Slipstream - there are many quick and easy utilities out
>>there. Check the utility you choose provides an easy mechanism for adding
>>the drivers in.
>>
>>Or.
>>
>>Use a floppy.
>>

> Impossible for Windows to recognize the drivers on the cd. Like the other
> posters said and you will find out, they must be on a floppy. When you hit
> F6 it looks at the floppy for the drivers, not the cd, not the hard drive,
> not the USB devices, etc.

No, you can do this by creating a custom Windows install CD that has the
driver integrated into it, so it will not need to look for it. A much
more involved process, however, unless there is no way to use a floppy..

--

"Robert Hancock" <hancockr@nospamshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Clark Griswold wrote:
>> "Mercury" <me@spam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>You can create a slipstream XP CD that includes the required drivers.
>>>Google for XP Slipstream - there are many quick and easy utilities out
>>>there. Check the utility you choose provides an easy mechanism for adding
>>>the drivers in.
>>>
>>>Or.
>>>
>>>Use a floppy.
>>>

>> Impossible for Windows to recognize the drivers on the cd. Like the other
>> posters said and you will find out, they must be on a floppy. When you
>> hit F6 it looks at the floppy for the drivers, not the cd, not the hard
>> drive, not the USB devices, etc.
>
> No, you can do this by creating a custom Windows install CD that has the
> driver integrated into it, so it will not need to look for it. A much more
> involved process, however, unless there is no way to use a floppy..
>
> --
> Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
> To email, remove "nospam" from hancockr@nospamshaw.ca
> Home Page: http://www.roberthancock.com/

Sorry, I confused the SATA and RAID. It is RAID you need the floppy. SATA
should load fine.

If you do as other posters have mentioned, you an create a slipstream CD
that not only includes your S-ATA drivers, but also includes SP1, all of the
other hotfixes, and even, if you want it, SP2. If what I have heard is
correct, you can even slipstream your SCSI or RAID drivers, because windows
will see them as 'part of the install', but I haven't had the chance to
verify this as I don't have a RAID system anymore.

P.S.: Throw out that XP Home disk, or use it for a coaster, and get
Professional.

> Hi
> Does it matter if my Windows Home disk is a pre SP1 version or not. Does a
> disk with SP1 do it any different?
> Ken'

Thanks for the reply about slipstreaming the drivers. I may consider doing
that.
Now about you suggestion about Xp pro being better that Xp Home, that is
nothing but pure bull.
They both have the same kennel and are both the same, except the pro version
has a few extra goodies that I don't need or want.
Ken'

"DD Gamer" <ddgamerMAPS@ONcogeco.ca> wrote in message
> If you do as other posters have mentioned, you an create a slipstream CD
> that not only includes your S-ATA drivers, but also includes SP1, all of
> the
> other hotfixes, and even, if you want it, SP2. If what I have heard is
> correct, you can even slipstream your SCSI or RAID drivers, because
> windows
> will see them as 'part of the install', but I haven't had the chance to
> verify this as I don't have a RAID system anymore.
>
> P.S.: Throw out that XP Home disk, or use it for a coaster, and get
> Professional.
>
> "Ken'" <kft34@golden.net> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> Does it matter if my Windows Home disk is a pre SP1 version or not. Does
>> disk with SP1 do it any different?
>> Ken'

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Why shouln't raid drivers work too?

The only requirement is surely that the drivers are in the list of
installable drivers when windows gets to the point of needing them - as per
any other raid drivers.

This is certainly 1 step further than a standard slip stream cd, but should
be straight forward as the floppy image used is very consistent IE inf, cat,
sys files to merge into the OS CD at the right point with perhaps a little
text editing in the stock inf files off the cd.

A quick google for 'slipstream raid drivers' yields this:

http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/READING/addraid.htm
or
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=27674&st=30
part way down.

does it work?

> Why shouln't raid drivers work too?
>
> The only requirement is surely that the drivers are in the list of
> installable drivers when windows gets to the point of needing them - as
> per any other raid drivers.
>
> This is certainly 1 step further than a standard slip stream cd, but
> should be straight forward as the floppy image used is very consistent IE
> inf, cat, sys files to merge into the OS CD at the right point with
> perhaps a little text editing in the stock inf files off the cd.
>
> A quick google for 'slipstream raid drivers' yields this:
>
> http://greenmachine.msfnhosting.com/READING/addraid.htm
> or
> http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=27674&st=30
> part way down.
>
> does it work?

When installing Windows from scratch the first prompt is "Hit F6 to load
third party SCSI or RAID drivers". This happens way before the GUI takes
over. Now I may be a bit off with the phrase, but, that is when you load
your disk drivers. And if you don't have them on the floppy, the install
will error out and you'll be back to square one.

Now the two links you gave show an unattended install where the floppy
contains a pointer to the cd to load the drivers. I've done unattended
installs, but never with RAID. From what I see it works. But, for the vast
majority of users, creating an unattended install file, especially one that
loads third party drivers is overkill for people that install an OS maybe
once or twice a year. Think about it, do you want to sit around all day
answering prompts to install Windows? I surely don't. That is what makes
unattended installs on multiple machines efficient.

If I go with the thought, it may be nice to have a cd with all the drivers
for each machine I own. Or install the OS with all the drivers and ghost the
machine. Then you get into sysprep, but that is another topic for another
day.

For a really nice slipstream all-in-one app check out
http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html .

Unfortunatley we lost site of the OP question about installing RAID drivers
*without* a floppy.

I don't think it can be done on a fresh install, because, Windows is looking
for that floppy with the drivers. The unattend file is on the floppy too, so
you're stuck.

If he can somehow access the Winnt32.exe file he can point to a different
location for the answer file similar to this d:\i386\winnt32
/unattend:a:\unattend.txt.