hard drive format

have large hard drive as slave
when format it format @ less

"pegood" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:65c201c4825c$955256e0$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> have large hard drive as slave
> when format it format @ less

Meaning?

Have to read between the lines. I am betting the drive is showing up as
137 GB and the drive is supposed to be larger. Two things for the OP.
First, your BIOS must support 48bit LBA. What does your BIOS say? If
it reports the full size, then it is Windows. If not, you may need to
use a Dynamic Drive Overlay function or get a PCI IDE Controller Card.
If the BIOS shows the correct size, try installing Service Pack 1 or
Service Pack 2 for Windows. This should fix the problem. If you have
installed these after installing Windows, you may simply need to create
a partition of everything after the 137 GB mark and format it. Right
click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management, see what the
hard drive says. If there is unallocated space, right click on it and
make a partition and format it and assign it a drive letter.

If you are upset because your 160 GB drive shows up as 149 GB or
something similar, it is acting just as it should. Hard drive companies
are dirty and report their sizes as a kilobyte is represented by 1000
bytes. A computer sees a kilobyte as 1024 bytes. This makes the size
the manufacturer claims be larger than Windows or the computer will see
it since the computer works in binary and not base 10.

----
Nathan McNulty

Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> "pegood" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>have large hard drive as slave
>>when format it format @ less
>

> Meaning?

I admire your dedication and patience: Spending so much
time and effort on a post that is almost incomprehensible,
written by a poster who appears to expect a maximum of
free advice for an absolute minimum of personal effort.
Congratulations! (and I mean it).

"Nathan McNulty" <nospam@msn.com> wrote in message
> Have to read between the lines. I am betting the drive is showing up as
> 137 GB and the drive is supposed to be larger. Two things for the OP.
> First, your BIOS must support 48bit LBA. What does your BIOS say? If
> it reports the full size, then it is Windows. If not, you may need to
> use a Dynamic Drive Overlay function or get a PCI IDE Controller Card.
> If the BIOS shows the correct size, try installing Service Pack 1 or
> Service Pack 2 for Windows. This should fix the problem. If you have
> installed these after installing Windows, you may simply need to create
> a partition of everything after the 137 GB mark and format it. Right
> click on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management, see what the
> hard drive says. If there is unallocated space, right click on it and
> make a partition and format it and assign it a drive letter.
>
> If you are upset because your 160 GB drive shows up as 149 GB or
> something similar, it is acting just as it should. Hard drive companies
> are dirty and report their sizes as a kilobyte is represented by 1000
> bytes. A computer sees a kilobyte as 1024 bytes. This makes the size
> the manufacturer claims be larger than Windows or the computer will see
> it since the computer works in binary and not base 10.
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>

> Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
> > "pegood" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message