How to install front mic/headset?? (A7N8X-E)

Am I doing something wrong, with hooking up the front jacks for a mic and
headset?
I removed the two jumpers from the audio connector strip and connected the
four wires for the case-front jacks. Neither the mic or headset works and
the rear speaker jack quit working.
I thought this was going to be easy, but evidently I was wrong.

What is the correct way to hook up the case-front audio jacks and still keep
the rear jacks enabled??

Roln

Paul

Splendid

In article <p_FZd.71531$r55.62984@attbi_s52>, "Roln" <roln@nospam.com> wrote:

> Am I doing something wrong, with hooking up the front jacks for a mic and
> headset?
> I removed the two jumpers from the audio connector strip and connected the
> four wires for the case-front jacks. Neither the mic or headset works and
> the rear speaker jack quit working.
> I thought this was going to be easy, but evidently I was wrong.
>
> What is the correct way to hook up the case-front audio jacks and still keep
> the rear jacks enabled??
>
> Roln

Our standard protocol here, is you make a list of the names
printed on the wires, and we give you a list of where to
connect them.

Four wires doesn't sound like enough wires. Sure, the bare
minimum could be Left-ear, Right-ear, GND, and Mic-in, but
that is fewer than are normally present. Is four wires just
for one jack, or for both of them ?

Once you post the list of all signal names, we'll know
whats up.

As for the question about the rear jack, the jumpers, when
they are in place, are the "return wires". Your headphone
jack also has to have return wires, so when the jumpers are
pulled, the return wires take their place. If your computer
case doesn't have Intel compatible audio wiring, then you
need to fake the jumper connections, while the front wires
are in place on the header. Which is pretty tricky...

If you don't use return wires, you lose rear Lineout audio,
and gain front headphones. Which isn't very useful.

An Asus J-panel, is a drive tray style product, that gives
Intel compatible audio wiring. Reasonably priced but
hard to find, as nobody really likes to carry Asus
accessories any more (probably not enough profit in it).

Paul

"Paul" wrote: :
> Our standard protocol here, is you make a list of the names
> printed on the wires, and we give you a list of where to
> connect them.
>
> Four wires doesn't sound like enough wires. Sure, the bare
> minimum could be Left-ear, Right-ear, GND, and Mic-in, but
> that is fewer than are normally present. Is four wires just
> for one jack, or for both of them ?
>
> Once you post the list of all signal names, we'll know
> whats up.
>
> As for the question about the rear jack, the jumpers, when
> they are in place, are the "return wires". Your headphone
> jack also has to have return wires, so when the jumpers are
> pulled, the return wires take their place. If your computer
> case doesn't have Intel compatible audio wiring, then you
> need to fake the jumper connections, while the front wires
> are in place on the header. Which is pretty tricky...
>
> If you don't use return wires, you lose rear Lineout audio,
> and gain front headphones. Which isn't very useful.
>
> An Asus J-panel, is a drive tray style product, that gives
> Intel compatible audio wiring. Reasonably priced but
> hard to find, as nobody really likes to carry Asus
> accessories any more (probably not enough profit in it).
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for replying to my problem!

My case has a cable coming from the front panel for the mic and earphone
plug-ins and it has four wires, each with a small plug on the end of the
wires. The plugs are labeled, L, R, Mic and G. The ASUS manual says to
remove the two jumpers on the audio plug if you want to use "front" audio.
I understand the "jumpers" complete the connections to the rear speaker plug
for left and right channels.

I checked the ASUS web site under FAQ and found a possible answer. It says
to hook a mic to MIC2 and MICPWR and the earphone wires to L & R. Connect
the ground wire to Gnd.
Since I only have one mic wire, I can't connect a wire to MICPWR, which I
assume has a voltage?? Sure don't want any voltage reaching my microphone!

Does this info give you anymore to work with?? Any other suggestions??

Thanks,

Roln

Paul

Splendid

In article <YPIZd.134809$4q6.53934@attbi_s01>, "Roln" <roln@nospam.com> wrote:

> "Paul" wrote: :
> > Our standard protocol here, is you make a list of the names
> > printed on the wires, and we give you a list of where to
> > connect them.
> >
> > Four wires doesn't sound like enough wires. Sure, the bare
> > minimum could be Left-ear, Right-ear, GND, and Mic-in, but
> > that is fewer than are normally present. Is four wires just
> > for one jack, or for both of them ?
> >
> > Once you post the list of all signal names, we'll know
> > whats up.
> >
> > As for the question about the rear jack, the jumpers, when
> > they are in place, are the "return wires". Your headphone
> > jack also has to have return wires, so when the jumpers are
> > pulled, the return wires take their place. If your computer
> > case doesn't have Intel compatible audio wiring, then you
> > need to fake the jumper connections, while the front wires
> > are in place on the header. Which is pretty tricky...
> >
> > If you don't use return wires, you lose rear Lineout audio,
> > and gain front headphones. Which isn't very useful.
> >
> > An Asus J-panel, is a drive tray style product, that gives
> > Intel compatible audio wiring. Reasonably priced but
> > hard to find, as nobody really likes to carry Asus
> > accessories any more (probably not enough profit in it).
> >
> > Paul
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> Many thanks for replying to my problem!
>
> My case has a cable coming from the front panel for the mic and earphone
> plug-ins and it has four wires, each with a small plug on the end of the
> wires. The plugs are labeled, L, R, Mic and G. The ASUS manual says to
> remove the two jumpers on the audio plug if you want to use "front" audio.
> I understand the "jumpers" complete the connections to the rear speaker plug
> for left and right channels.
>
> I checked the ASUS web site under FAQ and found a possible answer. It says
> to hook a mic to MIC2 and MICPWR and the earphone wires to L & R. Connect
> the ground wire to Gnd.
> Since I only have one mic wire, I can't connect a wire to MICPWR, which I
> assume has a voltage?? Sure don't want any voltage reaching my microphone!
>
> Does this info give you anymore to work with?? Any other suggestions??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roln

FP_AUDIO

Mic ----------- MIC2 X X AGND ----------- G
MICPWR X X +5VA
+---- Line_out_R X X BLINE_OUT_R --+
| NC X X |
| Line_out_L X X BLINE_OUT_L |
| | | |
| L ----+-----------------+ |
| |
R ----+------------------------------------+

The normal connection on a microphone jack, on the tip, ring,
and sleeve contacts, are MIC, MICPWR, and GND. MICPWR is
connected through a resistor to +5V on the motherboard. This
provides a small amount of current, and the current is used
by an electret microphone. If you plugged a dynamic mic into
the jack, it would not use the ring contact, and would put
its weak signal on the tip.

In your case, you won't have MICPWR on the ring contact, so
that means an electret microphone won't work (its amplifier
won't have any power). Sources which put a signal on the tip
contact, will still work. A dynamic mic will be pretty weak,
even if you turn on the 20dB boost on the sound chip. To use
the microphone, you might need to select MIC2 in the sound
preferences (somewhere).

Since your case wiring doesn't have the return lines for
the headphone jack, you will need to rig the circuit as
shown in the figure. You could, for example, take a piece
of stranded wire, extract a single strand, and wind it around
a pair of pins (like Line_out_R and BLINE_OUT_R). Leave enough
space on one of those two pins, to connect the case headphone
jack wire "R". If you cannot manage that, or consider it too
dangerous, you can just connect R to Line_out_R - what happens
is you will lose sound on the rear Lineout connector. [ repeat
above recipe in a similar way for L channel... ]

This is the Asus J-Panel. It has Intel compatible wiring and
plugs straight onto the FPAUDIO header. When you plug headphones
into the J-Panel, the speakers on Lineout on the back of the
computer are muted. When you unplug the headphones, the
speakers on Lineout start working again. Try searching for
"Asus J-Panel" with your favorite search engine, to buy one.
The J-Panel is a neater solution than the frontx.com
solution, as it plugs into FPAUDIO.

http://www.office-trade.com/pdf/B99Z429.pdf

HTH,
Paul