SEB

Dear all,

I own the notebook Toshiba P10 and would like to ugrade
the Sodimm DDR memory from 512Mo PC2100 to PC2700. I
don't know which memory to get. I was thinking about the
brand "Kingston" but I don't know if it right for my
laptop.
Thank you for your advice.
Seb

bar

Check with your manual or on the Toshiba web site for the memory specs.

Kingston is just one of dozens of 3rd party memory builders who supply
compatible modules. These days nearly every Laptop uses eaxactly the same
module of a given specification. A company like Kingston may show a
different part number for each of 100 different 256Mb SODIMM PC2700 modules
for 100 Laptops in their online catalogue, but the fact is they are all
exactly the same item.

I would recommend that you simply walk into any shop that sells Toshiba
laptops and ask if they have 3rd party modules for your P10.

Before handing over your money, get them to insert the module and power up
the laptop to check that it is recognised and works properly. It will need
to match the existing module in order to work, so even though a PC2700 module
should work, if you have a PC2100 module already installed, it may not.

I spent 4 years distributing 'compatible' modules for Laptops, Printers,
Desktops, Sun Servers, DEC Systems etc. I know most of the secrets and you
can save lots of money buying an industry standard module as opposed to the
Toshiba or Kingston or Crucial or other 'branded' module. All in all the
chips come from only a few manufacturers, these can be soldered onto the PCB
by anyone who buys the appropriate soldering systems. You may find that your
local PC shop has SODIMMs made by Motorola, Hyundai, Samsung, Mitsubishi.
When you look at a Kingston or Crucial, it will not have any chips made by
themselves but from one of the names already mentioned....

"Seb" wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I own the notebook Toshiba P10 and would like to ugrade
> the Sodimm DDR memory from 512Mo PC2100 to PC2700. I
> don't know which memory to get. I was thinking about the
> brand "Kingston" but I don't know if it right for my
> laptop.
> Thank you for your advice.
> Seb

Also, you may want to check with Toshiba to see what the max rated
memory you can get is. The fastest I see supported for a P10 is PC2700,
but there may be better latency times. Check and see if 2.0 CAS is
supported. The lower the CAS is (2.0 is lowest, then 2.5, then 3.0), the
better performance you are going to get. ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

BAR wrote:
> Check with your manual or on the Toshiba web site for the memory specs.
>
> Kingston is just one of dozens of 3rd party memory builders who supply
> compatible modules. These days nearly every Laptop uses eaxactly the same
> module of a given specification. A company like Kingston may show a
> different part number for each of 100 different 256Mb SODIMM PC2700 modules
> for 100 Laptops in their online catalogue, but the fact is they are all
> exactly the same item.
>
> I would recommend that you simply walk into any shop that sells Toshiba
> laptops and ask if they have 3rd party modules for your P10.
>
> Before handing over your money, get them to insert the module and power up
> the laptop to check that it is recognised and works properly. It will need
> to match the existing module in order to work, so even though a PC2700 module
> should work, if you have a PC2100 module already installed, it may not.
>
> I spent 4 years distributing 'compatible' modules for Laptops, Printers,
> Desktops, Sun Servers, DEC Systems etc. I know most of the secrets and you
> can save lots of money buying an industry standard module as opposed to the
> Toshiba or Kingston or Crucial or other 'branded' module. All in all the
> chips come from only a few manufacturers, these can be soldered onto the PCB
> by anyone who buys the appropriate soldering systems. You may find that your
> local PC shop has SODIMMs made by Motorola, Hyundai, Samsung, Mitsubishi.
> When you look at a Kingston or Crucial, it will not have any chips made by
> themselves but from one of the names already mentioned....
>

> "Seb" wrote:
>

>>Dear all,
>>
>>I own the notebook Toshiba P10 and would like to ugrade
>>the Sodimm DDR memory from 512Mo PC2100 to PC2700. I
>>don't know which memory to get. I was thinking about the
>>brand "Kingston" but I don't know if it right for my
>>laptop.
>>Thank you for your advice.
>>Seb

Greetings --

It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
requirements.

If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
computer and/or motherboard.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Seb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I own the notebook Toshiba P10 and would like to ugrade
> the Sodimm DDR memory from 512Mo PC2100 to PC2700. I
> don't know which memory to get. I was thinking about the
> brand "Kingston" but I don't know if it right for my
> laptop.
> Thank you for your advice.
> Seb

Greetings --

While many RAM "vendors" do sell the products of others relabeled
as their own, Crucial is the retail division of Micron Technologies
and sells only Micron Technologies' (iow, it's own) product. Also,
when did Kingston stop manufacturing their own product?

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

In article <u$IQC1tgEHA.1356@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
Bruce Chambers <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote:
>Greetings --
>
> It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
>compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
>already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
>switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
>configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
>manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
>requirements.

ISTR that Kingston is an approved third-party for adon memory.
Look on the Toshiba web site.

Make sure you buy the right part number.

Kingston should be able to confim this.

--
Al Dykes
-----------

> Greetings --
>
> While many RAM "vendors" do sell the products of others relabeled
> as their own, Crucial is the retail division of Micron Technologies
> and sells only Micron Technologies' (iow, it's own) product. Also,
> when did Kingston stop manufacturing their own product?

Kingston does not manufacture the chips; they buy them
from others and assemble them into modules. However,
after early difficulties with RDRAM, they bought the
complete RDRAM modules from Samsung and relabeled
them as "Kingston".

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com