I had to replace MB due to previous one getting fried
(?). It appears my HD also has a serious problem.
Physically it is OK, but Windows must be gone.
Getting "Disk read error". Attempted repair install, no
go. Total reinstall says I do not have an OS which
allows this upgrade (WIndows XP upgrade disk). If I put
a Win ME or 98 disk in the CD, it does not identify them
as Windows.
How am I suposed to reinstall this? This same CD was
used to install this OS.
Thank you

This is not a Windows XP issue at this point.
It may be a problem with your Windows 98/ME CDs.
Are they clean?
Are they original?
Are they retail? OEM may not work.

Try a Clean Installation this way:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"O'Riley" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I had to replace MB due to previous one getting fried
> (?). It appears my HD also has a serious problem.
> Physically it is OK, but Windows must be gone.
> Getting "Disk read error". Attempted repair install, no
> go. Total reinstall says I do not have an OS which
> allows this upgrade (WIndows XP upgrade disk). If I put
> a Win ME or 98 disk in the CD, it does not identify them
> as Windows.
> How am I suposed to reinstall this? This same CD was
> used to install this OS.
> Thank you

WHen I attempt a repair install of an old drive (which
had this XP on it) Messgage comes up asking
for "Administrator password". If I hit enter, it
displays D:/Windows.
Is there a universal password?
Thanx

There is no universal password.
Are you using the Recovery Console:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308402

If you attempting a Repair Installation and getting asked for a
password, you are pressing R at the wrong time.
No password is requested for a Repair Installation:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

> WHen I attempt a repair install of an old drive (which
> had this XP on it) Messgage comes up asking
> for "Administrator password". If I hit enter, it
> displays D:/Windows.
> Is there a universal password?
> Thanx

If you have an upgrade CD for Winxp only then you will have to install
either Win 98 or Winme first to be able to install the upgrade. you may
also have a problem if you currently use the NTFS file system for winxp as
neither 98 or ME support this. Perhaps the only thing to do is to use a
win98 startup disk and use the fdisk function to reformat youre hard drive
as FAT32. then install win98 then upgrade to winxp..

Hopoe some it helps

There is no need to install Windows 98/ME even if the Windows XP CD is
an upgrade.
You can perform a Clean Installation with the upgrade CD.
You would be asked to insert the qualifying media for a few minutes
during installation.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]