What heat sink are you using?

Hey guys,

What heat sink are *you* using with your system? What CPU fan? What is
your motherboard and CPU?

Why did you choose what you did?

What kind of temps are you getting, and what are you using to monitor those
temps?

signmeuptoo wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> What heat sink are *you* using with your system? What CPU fan? What is
> your motherboard and CPU?
>
> Why did you choose what you did?
>
> What kind of temps are you getting, and what are you using to monitor those
> temps?

Current facility standard: ASUS P4C-800E with Intel
Pentium 4 @ 3.06 GHz. Using heatsink/fan from retail,
or "boxed", CPU's. Temperature range, standard load,
approx. 30 deg C.; room ambient, 22 deg C. Monitor is
AsusProbe.

signmeuptoo wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> What heat sink are *you* using with your system? What CPU fan? What is
> your motherboard and CPU?
>
> Why did you choose what you did?
>
> What kind of temps are you getting, and what are you using to monitor those
> temps?
A7n8x Dlx2 xp3200+ retail w/supplied HS..
Asus probe
CPU temps stay 49-51c no matter what the machine is doing..

"signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
>
> What heat sink are *you* using with your system? What CPU fan? What is
> your motherboard and CPU?
>
> Why did you choose what you did?
>
> What kind of temps are you getting, and what are you using to monitor
those
> temps?

A7N8X del2/XP3200, Aero7 lite (2200rpm), idle=45C, prime95=51C
(socket temp) mobo temp 33C, measured using MBM5. Same temps reported
with AsusProbe.
HTH
--
Rob

Hackworth

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004

"signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
>
> What heat sink are *you* using with your system? What CPU fan? What is
> your motherboard and CPU?
>
> Why did you choose what you did?
>
> What kind of temps are you getting, and what are you using to monitor
> those
> temps?

I got very tired of the many loud whirring fans in my system, so I did a
good deal of research and have begun quieting my PC in stages. The first
thing I did was to replace the case fans with temperature-regulated ones
that also had a low maximum dB(A) rating. Then, I replaced the graphics card
in my system with a reasonably powerful (for me) card w/ 256MB (an
Radeon-9600) that also happens to be fanless and completely silent! That was
a big help.

By far, the loudest component in my system was the CPU fan. So, I replaced
the stock Pentium 4 cooler with a Nexus P4 Quiet CPU Fan PHT-3600 from
www.endpcnoise.com (rated at only 19 dB):

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/PHT-3600.html

I also paid the extra four bucks for the optional NRC-1000 noise-reduction
cable, which runs the fan slightly slower and thereby reduces the noise
level even further.

I love it. Now, my ears don't hurt anymore after extended computing
sessions. :)

Cain

Distinguished
May 9, 2002

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:05:18 GMT, signmeuptoo
<signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Hey guys,
>
>What heat sink are *you* using with your system? What CPU fan? What is
>your motherboard and CPU?
>
>Why did you choose what you did?
>
>What kind of temps are you getting, and what are you using to monitor those
>temps?

I'm using the Thermalright SLK-948U (a big copper thing) with an amd64
2800 and a high speed 92mm Panaflow fan rolled down in speed with the
motherboard fan controller. Idle speeds are mid 30s with all fans
running slow. I wouldn't turn up the Panaflow as it gets quite loud.
I have a ATI 9800Pro heating things up in there too.

Even turned down in speed, the Panaflow is pretty noisy spectrum wise.

Next time I'd get the Thermalright heatsink that supports a 120mm fan
as they are quietest when turned down. (Got two of them as case fans
in another box).

Was thinking about water cooling once, but these big Thermalright
heatsinks with AMD64 cores do the job.

Glad AMD came out with such a great product when Intel was hitting
rock bottom and just grinding to a halt.

signmeuptoo wrote:
And Bill, it
> isn't trool, it is troll. You know how to insult but you sure don't know
> how to spell do you?

I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it..

bill

In article <4JqdnfY_At5I76TfRVn-gA@comcast.com>, Axl Myk <comcast.netatAxlMyk> says...
> signmeuptoo wrote:
> And Bill, it
> > isn't trool, it is troll. You know how to insult but you sure don't know
> > how to spell do you?
>
> I was going to mention that, but you beat me to it..

Since you don't have enough working neurons to figure it out, it's
a melding of troll and fool.

HTH, HAND.

Bill

"signmeuptoo" wrote

> What heat sink are *you* using with your system?

A big aluminum thing I pried off another CPU.

> What CPU fan?

80mm PS fan, attached to the inside of the case with a custom
bracket (an old case-front fan holder half-flattened with a cut-up I/O
slot cover pop-riveted to it so it reaches all the way from the bottom of the
case to the cross bar), with the air channeled into the heat sink through
a cardboard duct that I made from a Kellogg's Corn Flakes box and tape.

> What is your motherboard and CPU?

T2P4 P233

> Why did you choose what you did?

Y B Normal?

> What kind of temps are you getting,

Nice and cool.

> and what are you using to monitor those temps?

My index finger moistened with a little bit of spit.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
>
> What heat sink are *you* using with your system? What CPU fan? What is
> your motherboard and CPU?
>
> Why did you choose what you did?
>
> What kind of temps are you getting, and what are you using to monitor
> those
> temps?

Antech Volcano 10+, stock 3000 rpm 70mm x 10mm 20 cfm fan removed, replaced
with 7000 rpm 70mm x 25 mm 45 cfm fan, yes a little noisier but worth it.

Athlon XP 3200+ Barton processor on an Asus A7V600-X Motherboard, getting
31C at idle for processor 30C for case. Using Motherboard Monitor 5 for
temps.

I should add though my system has a 120mm side intake fan, 2 80mm exhaust
fans along with a Vantec dual Slot fan circulating air inside the case.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

"Chuck" <chuck_les_@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "signmeuptoo" <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> What heat sink are *you* using with your system? What CPU fan? What is
>> your motherboard and CPU?
>>
>> Why did you choose what you did?
>>
>> What kind of temps are you getting, and what are you using to monitor
>> those
>> temps?
>
> Thermaltake Volcano 10+, stock 3000 rpm 70mm x 10mm 20 cfm fan removed,
> replaced with 7000 rpm 70mm x 25 mm 45 cfm fan, yes a little noisier but
> worth it.
>
> Athlon XP 3200+ Barton processor on an Asus A7V600-X Motherboard, getting
> 31C at idle for processor 30C for case. Using Motherboard Monitor 5 for
> temps.
>
> I should add though my system has a 120mm side intake fan, 2 80mm exhaust
> fans along with a Vantec dual Slot fan circulating air inside the case.

Fixed

Why is it that there always has to be a jerk to come along and ruin a
useful new group?

I happen to have an IQ of 165, how about you? I have worked on one of the
world's most powerful lasers and at the nation's most secure science
facility, what about you?

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:03:53 -0800, cain@nospam.com wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:05:18 GMT, signmeuptoo
> <signmeuptoo_no_spam@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Hey guys,
>>
>>What heat sink are *you* using with your system? What CPU fan? What is
>>your motherboard and CPU?
>>
>>Why did you choose what you did?
>>
>>What kind of temps are you getting, and what are you using to monitor those
>>temps?
>

> I'm using the Thermalright SLK-948U (a big copper thing) with an amd64
> 2800 and a high speed 92mm Panaflow fan rolled down in speed with the
> motherboard fan controller. Idle speeds are mid 30s with all fans
> running slow. I wouldn't turn up the Panaflow as it gets quite loud.
> I have a ATI 9800Pro heating things up in there too.
>
> Even turned down in speed, the Panaflow is pretty noisy spectrum wise.
>
> Next time I'd get the Thermalright heatsink that supports a 120mm fan
> as they are quietest when turned down. (Got two of them as case fans
> in another box).

Yeah, that is why I plan on getting the Thermalright XP-120. It is
supposed to be an almost phenomenal heatsink. I just got my fan that I
will use on it from UPS today, and Enermax UC-12FAB-B. They aren't too
easy to find as a lot of places have stopped carrying them. It has a
variable fan speed control extension on it. It is pretty quiet, and not
too loud at full speed (2300 RPM) but it moves a lot of air, I forget the
specs though.

> Was thinking about water cooling once, but these big Thermalright
> heatsinks with AMD64 cores do the job.
>
> Glad AMD came out with such a great product when Intel was hitting
> rock bottom and just grinding to a halt.

I think that it is really smart to circulate the air inside the case. It
causes turbulence, which means more gas molecules transferring more heat.

signmeuptoo wrote:
> I think that it is really smart to circulate the air inside the case. It
> causes turbulence, which means more gas molecules transferring more heat.

Wow, just create turbulance when you need more of a fluid.

Does that work with beer? Now THATS free beer :p

It's generally a good idea to have *airflow* in your case - ideally,
turn it into a little wind tunnel with air in at the front and out at
the back. If you get it in at the front-bottom and out at the back-top,
all the better - just keep it moving in one direction.

Ben

Ben Pope wrote:
> signmeuptoo wrote:
>
>> I think that it is really smart to circulate the air inside the case. It
>> causes turbulence, which means more gas molecules transferring more heat.
>

> Wow, just create turbulance when you need more of a fluid.
>
> Does that work with beer? Now THATS free beer :p
>
> It's generally a good idea to have *airflow* in your case - ideally,
> turn it into a little wind tunnel with air in at the front and out at
> the back. If you get it in at the front-bottom and out at the back-top,
> all the better - just keep it moving in one direction.
>
> Ben
I took a spare 120mm fan, used a Greenlee punch to make 5- 1 1/4" holes
in the side panel of the case right over the CPU and ram.. Blows a nice
stream of air all over everything..

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Per signmeuptoo:
>What heat sink are *you* using with your system? What CPU fan? What is
>your motherboard and CPU?

The one that came with the P4 Prescott CPU.
P4P800E-Deluxe.
Antec Sonata case.

>Why did you choose what you did?

I read various opinions, seemed like Athlon was the logical choice for my needs,
but had some memory that I put in a PC at a client site that I wanted to be able
to use in my home PC when the job was over...and Athalon boards only have 3 mem
slots... so I went w/Pentium. The board was recommended by a couple of people
on the NGs I read. The case was recommended by http://www.buildsilentpc.com/
and it works as advertised: elegant and quiet.

>What kind of temps are you getting, and what are you using to monitor those
Asus Probe says:

48 CPU
28 MB
CPU fan turning at 2,537.

But what I'd *really* like to know is what temp my 120-gig 7200 RPM SeaGate
Barracuda SATA HD is running at....
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> But what I'd *really* like to know is what temp my 120-gig 7200 RPM SeaGate
> Barracuda SATA HD is running at....

Everest (and MBM5) show the temperatures of my WD drives (WD360GD,
WD2500JD), and I'm fairly sure that of an IBM Deathstar GXP60 I had.

Ben

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> Per Ben Pope:
>
>>Everest (and MBM5)
>

> Are they hardware/software bundles?

No, they are both software that read the SMBus, IBM and WD drives must
have a temperature sensor, and stick that info on that bus.

I might be completely wrong about the SMBus, it might be done a
different way, but they are capable of reading the drive temp, nonetheless.

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en (home edition is fine)

When installed, it's under Computer->Sensor.

Everst gives you loads of info, generally very useful.

MBM5 has been discontinued due to a complete lack of information from
the motherboard manufacturers, resulting in a practically insurmountable
problem for the poor author trying to do us all a favour. It was an
excellent bit of software.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
If your drive is older and listed here:
http://mbm.livewiredev.com/mobolist.html

You might be in luck. Or it might work, anyway... if you know which
sensors you have and they are supported.

Ben

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Per Ben Pope:
>I might be completely wrong about the SMBus, it might be done a
>different way, but they are capable of reading the drive temp, nonetheless.
>
>http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en (home edition is fine)
>
>When installed, it's under Computer->Sensor.

Downloaded it (now *that* was a User Acceptance Agreement), fired it up, and it
seems tb working a-ok.

Thanks!
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> Per Ben Pope:
>
>>I might be completely wrong about the SMBus, it might be done a
>>different way, but they are capable of reading the drive temp, nonetheless.
>>
>>http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en (home edition is fine)
>>
>>When installed, it's under Computer->Sensor.
>

> Downloaded it (now *that* was a User Acceptance Agreement), fired it up, and it
> seems tb working a-ok.
>
> Thanks!

Glad you now know your drive temps... bet you weren't expecting to get
that fixed with your comment in this thread :p

Ben

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Per Ben Pope:
>Glad you now know your drive temps... bet you weren't expecting to get
>that fixed with your comment in this thread :p

This might be the quickest, easiest fix in my experience....
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> Per Ben Pope:
>
>>Glad you now know your drive temps... bet you weren't expecting to get
>>that fixed with your comment in this thread :p
>

> This might be the quickest, easiest fix in my experience....

I just noticed... there's something wrong with your clock... perhps
you're not at GMT -7?

Ben