Firewire device fails to be recognized after SP2 upgrade

Since I installed the SP2 my External enclosure isn't
recognized on my system. It isn't the device because the
USB port works and the firewire port works on non SP2
machines. The device did work with the SP2RC2 but not
since the upgrade, any ideas on how to fix this?
9 answers Last reply
More about firewire device fails recognized upgrade

    It isn't an WINXP SP2 problem, as you probably know, as mine works without
    problem after the upgrade.

    Usually going to Device Manager and deleting the 1394 Controller followed by
    a reboot will solve the problem.

    "Robert Tusing" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Since I installed the SP2 my External enclosure isn't
    > recognized on my system. It isn't the device because the
    > USB port works and the firewire port works on non SP2
    > machines. The device did work with the SP2RC2 but not
    > since the upgrade, any ideas on how to fix this?

    I have tried to remove the controller and reboot however
    this doesn't correct the issue I am having. The
    controller reinstalls with no problem but the firewire
    device still isn't recognized by my system.

    wrote in message
    >> Since I installed the SP2 my External enclosure isn't
    >> recognized on my system. It isn't the device because
    the
    >> USB port works and the firewire port works on non SP2
    >> machines. The device did work with the SP2RC2 but not
    >> since the upgrade, any ideas on how to fix this?
    >

    >.

    I believe you have three possibilities, the driver, the cable and connectors
    and the device itself.

    You appear to have eliminated the driver and I assume if you go to Control
    Panel->Admin Tools->Computer Mngmnt->Storage/Disk Mngmnt, you don't see your
    device. If you do it may be as simple as allocating a 'letter' to the
    drive. if you don't then you need to eliminate the cable and connector.

    That should be easy as I assume when you connect the device you have an
    indicator on the device that illuminates. If the indicator is not on you
    have a cable/connector problem, if it is it seems as if the device may have
    a problem.

    If that is the case the first thing I would try is to open the drive and
    check that the HDD is still connected to the drive board. I had a problem
    once and that was the problem, the drive (2.5") had worked loose from the
    board. If the drive connection proves OK find another machine and try the
    drive on that.

    Good luck.

    >I have tried to remove the controller and reboot however
    > this doesn't correct the issue I am having. The
    > controller reinstalls with no problem but the firewire
    > device still isn't recognized by my system.

    I have eliminated the cable as the problem when I connected the device to
    another computer without SP2 and it worked fine. This problem only happened
    after the update to SP2 since then the Enclosure stopped being recognized via
    firewire on this computer. I figure it is a setup issue or maybe the new
    firewire drivers but this is my only firewire device so I have no way of
    checking that part of it. Any other ideas?
    Robert Tusing

    "Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

    > I believe you have three possibilities, the driver, the cable and connectors
    > and the device itself.
    >
    > You appear to have eliminated the driver and I assume if you go to Control
    > Panel->Admin Tools->Computer Mngmnt->Storage/Disk Mngmnt, you don't see your
    > device. If you do it may be as simple as allocating a 'letter' to the
    > drive. if you don't then you need to eliminate the cable and connector.
    >
    > That should be easy as I assume when you connect the device you have an
    > indicator on the device that illuminates. If the indicator is not on you
    > have a cable/connector problem, if it is it seems as if the device may have
    > a problem.
    >
    > If that is the case the first thing I would try is to open the drive and
    > check that the HDD is still connected to the drive board. I had a problem
    > once and that was the problem, the drive (2.5") had worked loose from the
    > board. If the drive connection proves OK find another machine and try the
    > drive on that.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >

    > "Robert Tusing" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have tried to remove the controller and reboot however
    > > this doesn't correct the issue I am having. The
    > > controller reinstalls with no problem but the firewire
    > > device still isn't recognized by my system.

    The problem is with firewire there is no 'setup' required. When you plug
    the device in with the machine active do you get a sound acknowledgement
    that indicates the device is recognized as being connected? I do. If you
    don't get the recognition sound, assuming you haven't deactivated it, the
    machine doesn't know the device exists. If you don't get the sound when you
    connect it points to the device or the port being the problem as if the
    driver was not installed you would get the sound followed by a message to
    install the driver.

    Going back to fundementals, in Device Manager under Texas Instruments OHCI
    Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller you do see 'This device is working
    properly' and under Device Usage 'Use this device (enable)', do you? Under
    SBP2 IEEE 1394 Devices/SBP Compliant IEEE 1394 Device you also see similar
    messages?

    "Robert Tusing" <Robert Tusing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have eliminated the cable as the problem when I connected the device to
    > another computer without SP2 and it worked fine. This problem only
    > happened
    > after the update to SP2 since then the Enclosure stopped being recognized
    > via
    > firewire on this computer. I figure it is a setup issue or maybe the new
    > firewire drivers but this is my only firewire device so I have no way of
    > checking that part of it. Any other ideas?
    > Robert Tusing
    >
    > "Edward W. Thompson" wrote:
    >
    >> I believe you have three possibilities, the driver, the cable and
    >> connectors
    >> and the device itself.
    >>
    >> You appear to have eliminated the driver and I assume if you go to
    >> Control
    >> Panel->Admin Tools->Computer Mngmnt->Storage/Disk Mngmnt, you don't see
    >> your
    >> device. If you do it may be as simple as allocating a 'letter' to the
    >> drive. if you don't then you need to eliminate the cable and connector.
    >>
    >> That should be easy as I assume when you connect the device you have an
    >> indicator on the device that illuminates. If the indicator is not on you
    >> have a cable/connector problem, if it is it seems as if the device may
    >> have
    >> a problem.
    >>
    >> If that is the case the first thing I would try is to open the drive and
    >> check that the HDD is still connected to the drive board. I had a problem
    >> once and that was the problem, the drive (2.5") had worked loose from the
    >> board. If the drive connection proves OK find another machine and try
    >> the
    >> drive on that.
    >>
    >> Good luck.
    >>

    >> "Robert Tusing" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have tried to remove the controller and reboot however
    >> > this doesn't correct the issue I am having. The
    >> > controller reinstalls with no problem but the firewire
    >> > device still isn't recognized by my system.

    I am having the exact same problem

    Any idea when this is going to be fixed or how to
    overcome it?

    Gary

    I have now found that my laptop (Toshiba Satellite) will not recognize my
    firewire HDD now I have upgraded to SP2 but my desktop does. The drive is
    a 'combo' and both machines recognize the drive when connected to the USB2
    port. Haven't had time to do the usual fixes ( delete controllers etc) and
    will repost if I manage to fix it.

    "Gary" <gary@ghyam.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I am having the exact same problem
    >
    > Any idea when this is going to be fixed or how to
    > overcome it?
    >
    > Gary

    I haven't loaded SP2 on my laptop yet, figured I'd wait to see what happens
    on the desktop. I did notice that the firewire driver is loading for my
    creative Audiology sound card and is recognized when I connect the device to
    it, however the front panel port isn't recognized. I haven't opened up my
    case yet but I believe the front panel port is connected off the motherboard,
    this makes me wonder if there might be another thing going on here to make
    the front panel port not open up or even be recognized?

    "Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

    > I have now found that my laptop (Toshiba Satellite) will not recognize my
    > firewire HDD now I have upgraded to SP2 but my desktop does. The drive is
    > a 'combo' and both machines recognize the drive when connected to the USB2
    > port. Haven't had time to do the usual fixes ( delete controllers etc) and
    > will repost if I manage to fix it.
    >

    > "Gary" <gary@ghyam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >I am having the exact same problem
    > >
    > > Any idea when this is going to be fixed or how to
    > > overcome it?
    > >
    > > Gary

    I've got exactly the same problem as Robert except that this is not a
    peripheral that used to work before SP2, but the symptoms are identicle:

    - External Firewire peripheral not recognised by WinXP-SP2.
    - External Enclosure MAP Z51 containing Plextor 712A DVD Burner.
    - Checked Control Panel->Admin Tools->Computer Mngmnt->Storage/Disk Mngmnt
    but only my existing DVD/CD ROM device found (built into Laptop).
    - Texas 1394 Host Controller Driver re-installs no problem,enabled and no
    conflicts.
    - Firewire Cable tested, External Enclosure has 2 Firewire ports, have
    successfully connected my JVC DVCam through the External Enclosure, WinXP
    recognises JVC no problem, weird, the FireWire interface on the External
    Enclosure is working fine, repeating the JVC packets, but WinXP doesn't see
    the device that's doing the repeating!

    So that's my hard-luck story, from the many hundreds of posts I've read all
    over the net, this IS a problem.

    The only solution I can offer is reverting back to SP1 1394 driver files,
    but I can't seem to copy them into my system32/drivers directory, they refuse
    to copy, protected in someway. How can I delete the SP2 1394 drivers from my
    harddrive so they don't keep magically coming back again ( re-loaded from
    DIVERS.CAB?)

    "Edward W. Thompson" wrote:

    > I have now found that my laptop (Toshiba Satellite) will not recognize my
    > firewire HDD now I have upgraded to SP2 but my desktop does. The drive is
    > a 'combo' and both machines recognize the drive when connected to the USB2
    > port. Haven't had time to do the usual fixes ( delete controllers etc) and
    > will repost if I manage to fix it.
    >

    > "Gary" <gary@ghyam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >I am having the exact same problem
    > >
    > > Any idea when this is going to be fixed or how to
    > > overcome it?
    > >
    > > Gary

Firewire Devices Windows XP