CDRW not locating CD in drive

I wonder as to whether anyone could help me with the
following problem. Whilst trying to backup data to CD
the 'writing wizard' always comes up with the message
that there is no CD in the drive. I have re-formatted my
hard drive and reinstalled my operating system (Windows
XP Home Edition) but to no effect. Before I end up
buying a new CDRW could anyone suggest another solution?
Many, many thanks in advance.

So basically you put a blank CD in and the recorder doesn't recognize
it. I have a couple of KB artilces you may want to check first:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

----
Nathan McNulty