Razer's Hydra Controller Now Supports Major Valve Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would still take a mouse and keyboard over this any day. Having the idea to "feel" the game isn't as important as having the quick reflexes of winning in a gun fight against your enemy, especially in a game such as call of duty.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]I would still take a mouse and keyboard over this any day. Having the idea to "feel" the game isn't as important as having the quick reflexes of winning in a gun fight against your enemy, especially in a game such as call of duty.[/citation]

i have to disagree, let me put it in another perspective, if i want to play a building game, lets say mine craft, if there was a 100x100 button layout, think a simple keyboard like device that would only have the game put a thing there, i would get it. it would make building more fun, and would add a lot to the game if i didn't have to run around and drop blocks everywhere.

lets say there is a first person shooter, given a keyboard and mouse, OR a handgun/smg/assult like prepherial, and a head mount display, and where ever you pointed the gun, it pointed in the game, and the guns had realistically strong recoil effects, you move your head and it move in game, and they work a system out for movement without needing a wasd like setup, and if i duck, in real life i duck in game... i would pick the experience WAY over the better controls.

but this just may be me, i HATE being the best in the games i play, and i usually am the best sadly, i love getting killed and losing, because i know someone is better than me. i hate games with luck being a factor because than its not about skill its about luck. i LOVE losing in games and i hate being the top 3 of a 32 player match. for me the fun comes from either the experience, or climbing the ladder, and sense the ladder is easy for me, i chose experience...

granted i cant see how these would add to any game without at least a head mount display... but from my understanding, they are far better than the wii nunchuk, just without the games based around those controls.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom] i LOVE losing in games and i hate being the top 3 of a 32 player match. for me the fun comes from either the experience, or climbing the ladder, and sense the ladder is easy for me, i chose experience...[/citation]
lol i dunno how much that applies to most gamers. i play games and it's usually most fun for me when i am on top and pwning noobs. i don't get a kick of having a 1/3 kd ratio on battlefield or coming in last in a racing game. regardless of if you or any of us are the "best", there will always be someone better. in everything u do in life, there is always someone better, so i take that fact, live with it and pwn in the games that i can and worry about staying alive when that someone better does come along.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom] i LOVE losing in games and i hate being the top 3 of a 32 player match. for me the fun comes from either the experience, or climbing the ladder, and sense the ladder is easy for me, i chose experience...granted i cant see how these would add to any game without at least a head mount display... but from my understanding, they are far better than the wii nunchuk, just without the games based around those controls.[/citation]
Most of us like winning...

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Maybe some day the controls will be completely customizable so they fit the unique movements of the player. I can see a glove device some day, where hand gestures define what happens. For some people, clenching a fist and punching may fire a weapon, and for others it might be pointing a finger and squeezing.

The point is that having to learn key combinations and sequences for every game is clumsy. Having a game learn your intuitive motions makes a lot more sense to me. Our hands are very dexterous, so why are we using only 4 fingers?

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Mark888[/nom]@Alidan - This is what you been looking for. Fully functional VR setup for FPS.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnbUsgJpKqs[/citation]

yes, but the way that i would want it would be the head mount has control over the direction im looking, a kinect like thing to view my bodys position,
and the guns, if at all possible, would be independent, say i'm dual wielding pistols, im looking down the right one and have the left pointed opposite, i fire the right one, take a quick look at the left one fire it, and so forth...

what you linked to is an EXCELLENT start, but i want whats next. considering for 200$ a cellphone has the tech that would make what i want a reality...

if an ar setup like that was possible i would be willing to trade in all my stocks for it.

[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]lol i dunno how much that applies to most gamers. i play games and it's usually most fun for me when i am on top and pwning noobs. i don't get a kick of having a 1/3 kd ratio on battlefield or coming in last in a racing game. regardless of if you or any of us are the "best", there will always be someone better. in everything u do in life, there is always someone better, so i take that fact, live with it and pwn in the games that i can and worry about staying alive when that someone better does come along.[/citation]
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Most of us like winning...[/citation]

i find it more enjoyable to have to try to win, apposed to currently i pretty much automatically win.

last time i played battlefield, i think my kdr was something like 50 kills to 3 deaths. when the only way to have fun in fpses is for me to use crappier guns, or restrict myself to what i use... i stop having fun... opposite is also true for when players im against work the system to their advantage, case in point, the beta for black light retribution, we had people who SUCKED at the game and the only way they enjoyed it was annoying others, so they took the stinger missile thing, and used it against players, get the kills get another missile use it again, and again and again.

any game i like playing i get to the top almost effortlessly.

Well, Alidan, you need a new hobby if you are so elite that video games are boring. That's a clear sign that you are destined for greater things and should move on to dominate the exciting world of competitive crochet.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
The shooter crowd isnt what it used to be, i have grown bored with most competitive fps's myself. Now i mostly jihad with c4 jeeps on bf3, and just goof off more than anything else. Been playing losts of old school games, and cannot wait for the shadowrun and wasteland two kickstarter projects to be completed, not to mention 0x10c.

As far as this input device, i have always wanted to use one of these for 3d modeling; as it is now i get in the zone and end up doing the mario lean with my body, trying to get a different perspective. I wish there was a 3d modeling prog with fps controls.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]J_E_D_70[/nom]Well, Alidan, you need a new hobby if you are so elite that video games are boring. That's a clear sign that you are destined for greater things and should move on to dominate the exciting world of competitive crochet.[/citation]

meh when i hit 35, im running for president, or will at least try.

dreadlokz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i have to disagree, let me put it in another perspective, if i want to play a building game, lets say mine craft, if there was a 100x100 button layout, think a simple keyboard like device that would only have the game put a thing there, i would get it. it would make building more fun, and would add a lot to the game if i didn't have to run around and drop blocks everywhere. lets say there is a first person shooter, given a keyboard and mouse, OR a handgun/smg/assult like prepherial, and a head mount display, and where ever you pointed the gun, it pointed in the game, and the guns had realistically strong recoil effects, you move your head and it move in game, and they work a system out for movement without needing a wasd like setup, and if i duck, in real life i duck in game... i would pick the experience WAY over the better controls.but this just may be me, i HATE being the best in the games i play, and i usually am the best sadly, i love getting killed and losing, because i know someone is better than me. i hate games with luck being a factor because than its not about skill its about luck. i LOVE losing in games and i hate being the top 3 of a 32 player match. for me the fun comes from either the experience, or climbing the ladder, and sense the ladder is easy for me, i chose experience...granted i cant see how these would add to any game without at least a head mount display... but from my understanding, they are far better than the wii nunchuk, just without the games based around those controls.[/citation]

that "gun controller" would only make sence on a sphere screen room, and with integrated kinnect or something even better ;p Also it would kill the game adiction, since it would be impossible to play more them 2 hours/day if ur not the athletic type! haha

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dreadlokz[/nom]that "gun controller" would only make sence on a sphere screen room, and with integrated kinnect or something even better ;p Also it would kill the game adiction, since it would be impossible to play more them 2 hours/day if ur not the athletic type! haha[/citation]
no... lets think bare minimum
it would require 1, possibly 2 kinect like devices, maybe even just a web cam, and 4 different colored light vest. it the vest would be cheaper and could tell what direction toy are facing

it would require a brain, think of it like that cellphone demom a while back where the phone would plug into a tablet and a laptop shell and use the keys and and screen they had, but all the real power was in the phone, get that make it small and make it so it can plug into a gun device, all it would need is a gyroscope, compass and possibly an acceleromiter and transmitter, ill estimate cost at about 10$-15$, and it would need a gun which a cheap shell, plastic and no blow back about 10$ at most, with blow back and realistic weight about 30, and with a full metal real as it gets with out being real, about 50-100$

you would need a head mount display, but that is a cost you can write off as a monitor/tv it will be good for years and not need an upgrade for at least 5 years.

in the head mount, you would need another brain device.

and it wouldn't kill game addiction, oh no, FER from it, i know enough people that if you had a fighting game where it was real swordplay, and it worked just like real life 99% of the time, they would get in shape to play it.

hell i would be more fit than an olympic athlete if a game i loved playing required it from me, but sadly, we have the waggle fest wii, the dance crap of the kinect, and the only one that had promise of being great, the move, never even took off.

Status
Not open for further replies.