Unallocated space: What's wrong?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
> GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
> it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
> this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

We are supposed to guess what operating system you are using? If it is
Windows XP then you need Service Pack 1 at a minimum patch level. You
might also need to visit your mobo maker's web site to get their latest
BIOS flash update to upgrade the onboard IDE controller to support
48-bit addressing mode (to get past the 128GB boundary).

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

It's Windows XP. I downloaded quite a few updates, and then service
pack 2.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

> Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio wrote:
> > but it's capacity is listed as 131GB.
>
> Update your bios.
>
> --
> Pepe
> Milano, Italy

Hi, Giuseppe

I just updated the BIOS, but Windows still doesn't properly recognize
the drive. This is a strange problem. You'd think Microsoft would've
fixed it by now as quite a few people have had this problem. Who knows
how many have unknowingly lost disk space.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

Just create a second partition in that unallocated partition and format
a filesystem on it. It should show up as an alternative drive letter in
Windows. It won't be the whole drive as one drive letter, but it will
be the whole drive as two drive letters.

Yousuf Khan

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

> It's Windows XP. I downloaded quite a few updates, and then service
> pack 2.

Well, then the other part of my advice of getting the BIOS flash update
to upgrade the firmware used by your IDE controller will be required so
it support 48-bit addressing mode to get past the 128GB boundary. You
didn't mention the brand and model of your motherboard. Go to the
motherboard maker's web site to get the flash update for BIOS.

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

>> Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio wrote:
>> > but it's capacity is listed as 131GB.
>>
>> Update your bios.
>>
>> --
>> Pepe
>> Milano, Italy
>

> Hi, Giuseppe
>
> I just updated the BIOS, but Windows still doesn't properly recognize
> the drive. This is a strange problem. You'd think Microsoft would've
> fixed it by now as quite a few people have had this problem. Who knows
> how many have unknowingly lost disk space.

Because the geometric translation needed for the larger disk capacity
won't match what got used before.

Drives over 128GB were not in mass production when your version of
Windows got released. Sorry, but Microsoft isn't a soothsayer, either.
They cannot write software for every piece of hardware that might appear
sometime later. That is why LATER updates and service packs will modify
the OS so it would then support hardware that appears AFTER the release
of a software product. It's not Microsoft's fault that the motherboard
maker didn't provide an IDE controller that allows 48-bit addressing.
Did the BIOS flash update actually specify that it support 48-bit
addressing mode? Your motherboard - which you did not identify - might
not be capable of supporting drives over 128GB in size.

First determine if your motherboard actually will support drives over
128GB in size. That may require a BIOS flash update. You said that you
already did the latest update but firmware updates cannot magically
alter hardware that is still incapable of changing its addressing width.
Could be you grabbed the wrong update, too. If the motherboard cannot
be made to support large drives, your choices are to install the overlay
manager program from the drive maker (this replaces the bootstrap
program in the MBR, so any other program that uses the MBR bootstrap
area, like Goback or a multiboot manager, cannot be used), or get an IDE
controller card whose BIOS and controller do support large drives. For
awhile, Western Digital drives used to include their own controller
cards because the motherboards and OS were not yet capable (many then
got sold off on eBay and that's how I got one for an old host that could
not be upgraded to support large drives).

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

> but it's capacity is listed as 131GB.

Update your bios.

--
Pepe
Milano, Italy

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio wrote:
>> > but it's capacity is listed as 131GB.
>>
>> Update your bios.
>>
>> --
>> Pepe
>> Milano, Italy
>

> Hi, Giuseppe
>
> I just updated the BIOS, but Windows still doesn't properly recognize
> the drive. This is a strange problem. You'd think Microsoft would've
> fixed it by now as quite a few people have had this problem. Who knows
> how many have unknowingly lost disk space.

Did you reformat the disc after updating the BIOS? Maybe use an old Win98
boot disk and use fdisk to remove the partition if the XP disk does not work
(it should).

Dave

Dave wrote:

> Did you reformat the disc after updating the BIOS? Maybe use an old Win98
> boot disk and use fdisk to remove the partition if the XP disk does not work
> (it should).
>
> Dave

I prefer to use the HD manufacturers utility boot disk to do a Low Level
format.. Gets rid of ALL the leftover nasties on the drive..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

> I just updated the BIOS, but Windows still doesn't properly recognize
> the drive. This is a strange problem. You'd think Microsoft would've
> fixed it by now as quite a few people have had this problem. Who knows
> how many have unknowingly lost disk space.

Convert the disk to NTFS.

--
Pepe
Milano, Italy

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

Your motherboard is probably a slightly older one and it's BIOS cannot
recognize a harddrive beyond 137 GB. Only the newer motherboards can.

--
DaveW

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
> GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
> it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
> this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message...
> Hi, Giuseppe
>
> I just updated the BIOS, but Windows still doesn't properly
> recognize the drive. This is a strange problem.

It isn't strange at all, it's perfectly easy to explain.

> You'd think Microsoft would've fixed it by now as quite a few
> people have had this problem.

Microsoft *have* fixed it, or, to put it another way, they've done as much
as they can. Unfortunately, some things have to be left down to the user.

> Who knows how many have unknowingly lost disk space.

Anyone ignorant/dumb enough not to know whether the usable capacity of their
drives matches what they've actually got probably won't notice the
difference. Either way, your scenario is relatively uncommon, as most PC
buyers purchase OEM boxes, and in these cases, your particular set of
circumstances wouldn't occur.

Your scenario is quite a unique one, in that you originally partitioned and
formatted this drive on a vanilla copy of Windows XP that didn't include 48
bit LBA support. You have since upgraded the OS, and at that point the
"extra" capacity of your drive magically became available.

As has been said elsewhere, the easiest (and arguably best) option is simply
to create another partition with the spare capacity and create another
logical drive in it.

If you do want your entire drive formatted and available as C:\, you will
need to use Partition Magic, or some similar third party tool.

Incidentally, as others have said, for future reference it'd be far easier
to help you if you gave us the pertinent info in your original post, rather
than leaving us to assume/guess/ask.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

There's nothing wrong. If your OS is the original XP (pre-SPx, as it sounds
from a later comment), it doesn't know about bigger disks than 131GB until
SP1 (included in SP2). You can use of the 'unallocated space' as another
partition, just Start->Run diskmgmt.msc, right click on the unallocated
space and "New partition..". Then format it, and voilá, you have a new
"disk", most likely labeled E: (if C: =system disk and D: =CD/DVD)

Or use a 3rd party program, like Symantec/Norton PartitionMagic or Ramish
PartitionManager, to resize the current partition to available space, ie.
the whole HD

--
Tumppi
Reply to group

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
> GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
> it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
> this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

The motherboard is an Abit AN8. ('Fatal1ty') The hard drive is a Maxtor
6B200M0. Strangely enough, the hard drive I ordered (L01M200) wasn't
the one I received -- and it was a 'retail' purchase. The company
must've packaged the wrong hard drive into the wrong box. Since these
two hard drives are hardly different (one's a Diamondmax 10 (6B200M0)
and the other's a Diamondmax 9 (L01M200), I decided against sending it
back. (already had a big problem with another order..)

Now, if I partition this 'unallocated space', will it diminish in speed
or anything of the sort? (as I type it's formatting..)

I greatly appreciate all of the advice I've received.

dd

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

No, just open your Disk Management Console and create a new partition in the
unallocated space, format it, and you're set. It will work like a second
hard drive, but physically be the leftover portion of your hard drive.
Alternately you could do all the stuff required to get the entire 200MB as
your C drive, but is it really worth it? Personally I like to have my drive
partitioned into at least 2 if not 3 or more 'virtual' drives, that way I
can reformat my system partition ( the partition with Windows and all of my
software installed on it, a.k.a. C: ) without losing any of my data on D:
or, as I frequently have, my Linux system partition, Linux swap partition,
and/or whatever other operating systems I am messing around with ( under the
auspices of 'testing' ;p ).

In fact, it actually makes things run more smoothly as things don't get as
fragmented as quickly.

( things is an official term, or so says the latest SA&D text I have dragged
myself through for some inane, unfathomable reason ;p )

> Your motherboard is probably a slightly older one and it's BIOS cannot
> recognize a harddrive beyond 137 GB. Only the newer motherboards can.
> "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
>> GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
>> it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
>> this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

You also need to have at least SP1 installed for Windows XP
to recognize it all. Try partitioning it so that no partition is
greater than 137GB. You can do that by Disk Management.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

On 17 Mar 2005 20:39:13 -0800, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
>GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
>it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
>this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

Did you install an original (non/early service pack) release Windows
(2K or XP) onto this drive? If so, it's normal. Unless you slipstream
and reinstall or have partition magic, you are stuck with this. Unlike
what everyone's saying, it looks like your BIOS is OK since Windows
sees the extra space (after SP4 for W2K and SP2 for XP, I believe) so
easiest thing you can do is to simply create a new partition in the
unused space. *Check* that 48bit addressing is enabled first (I don't
know the registry key off the top of my head, just google for
"BigLBA", I think) and also *back up* first if you have personal data
on that disk, just in case I am mistaken about the BIOS and and
Windows happily cycles back and overwrites the start of your drive
while trying to format the rest.

In article <1111120753.309130.157340@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
vercingetorix@hotmail.com says...

>I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
>GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
>it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
>this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

See
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

48bitlba.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters]
"EnableBigLba"=dword:00000001

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

I partitioned the drive. One is 137 GB and the other 66. It went
smoothly, and the new drive is fully functional. As was said earlier in
this thread, I think I'll stick with how it is because I rather like it
since if I ever need to reformat or anything, I can store quite a bit
of data on the new 'F:' drive. I appreciate all the help I've received
here.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

Under XP use can use the DISKPART command to extend partitions into adjacent
free space.

Look in Windows Help (Start / Help) for details on how to use this command.

It is not recommended to use this on a system disk, but it works.

As soon as the command completes, I would run a scandisk on the C: drive as
this will ensure that the boundaries of the partition are correct etc and
fix any anomolies - I have never had any anomlies...

"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> The motherboard is an Abit AN8. ('Fatal1ty') The hard drive is a Maxtor
> 6B200M0. Strangely enough, the hard drive I ordered (L01M200) wasn't
> the one I received -- and it was a 'retail' purchase. The company
> must've packaged the wrong hard drive into the wrong box. Since these
> two hard drives are hardly different (one's a Diamondmax 10 (6B200M0)
> and the other's a Diamondmax 9 (L01M200), I decided against sending it
> back. (already had a big problem with another order..)
>
> Now, if I partition this 'unallocated space', will it diminish in speed
> or anything of the sort? (as I type it's formatting..)
>
> I greatly appreciate all of the advice I've received.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

I've got a different problem now.

I was forced to reformat. After reformatting both drives (one drive,
two partitions), it states an accurate capacity (200 GB), but still
lists free space as 129 GB. It's recognizing the drive beyond the limit
set by MS, but now I can't partition it. It states used space as 73 GB,
but essentially all I've got installed is XP.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

This is from the Western Digital FAQ:

"There are three common reasons why a hard drive would be detected as 137GB
(128GB Binary) during Windows installation:

1. If the Windows installation CD does not contain Windows 2000 Service Pack
3 or Windows XP Service Pack 1, the initial installation of Windows will not
support drives larger than 137GB. During installation of Windows, the hard
drive will be limited to a 137GB (or less) partition. After Windows
installation as been completed and Service Pack 1 (for Windows XP) or
Service Pack 3 (for Windows 2000) have been installed, the remaining empty
area of the hard drive can be partitioned and formatted from the directions
in Answer ID 330.

2. The system does not have a 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output
System (BIOS) installed. This includes EIDE controller card BIOSs. Please
contact your motherboard or controller card manufacturer to determine if
your hardware supports 48-bit LBA addressing. Please see Answer ID 936 for
information pertaining to this issue.

3. Drivers for the motherboard IDE controller or controller card are not
installed. Some motherboards and controller cards require drivers to be
installed (during Windows installation) to support hard drives over 137GB.
Please contact your motherboard or controller card manufacturer for
installation instructions and driver availability for this issue."

I have found that using the drive manufacturer's software (it either comes
with the retail drive or you may download it from their Web site) is the
best way to prepare and install a new hard drive.
--
Tally Ho!
Ed
"aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
> GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
> it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
> this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

"aether" wrote in message...
> I was forced to reformat.

Why? Seemed like you had everything pretty much licked. Also, when you say
you've reformatted, do you literally just mean that you reformatted the C:\
partition and reinstalled WinXP, or did you *completely* wipe and
repartition the disk?

> After reformatting both drives (one drive, two partitions), it states an
> accurate capacity (200 GB),

"It" states? What, exactly is "it"? Your prefernece to omit important
information continues unabated it would appear.

> but still lists free space as 129 GB.

This means f**k all without knowing exactly what you are referring to here.
Disk Manager? Explorer? A third party utility, what?

Also, when you say that "free space [is] 129GB", is this the free space of
the two partitions added together, the free space on the C:\ partition,
what?

> It's recognizing the drive beyond the limit set by MS,

Again, what is "it"? If you want us to help you, you're going to have to
come up with better than this. What, exactly, does Disk Management say about
your disk?

> but now I can't partition it. It states used space as 73 GB,

It, it, it, it. Where, exactly, is this "used space"? Is it on your C:\
partition or the D:\ partition?

> but essentially all I've got installed is XP.

Have you installed SP2? Have you tried running Scandisk? Can you still see
both C:\ and D:\ (or whatever) in Explorer?
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

Mr Hopkins! I will not have the staff throwing chalk at the students. See me
in my study after assembly.

The Headmaster.