Unallocated space: What's wrong?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?
38 answers Last reply
More about unallocated space what wrong
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
    > GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
    > it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
    > this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

    We are supposed to guess what operating system you are using? If it is
    Windows XP then you need Service Pack 1 at a minimum patch level. You
    might also need to visit your mobo maker's web site to get their latest
    BIOS flash update to upgrade the onboard IDE controller to support
    48-bit addressing mode (to get past the 128GB boundary).

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    It's Windows XP. I downloaded quite a few updates, and then service
    pack 2.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    > Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio wrote:
    > > but it's capacity is listed as 131GB.
    >
    > Update your bios.
    >
    > --
    > Pepe
    > Milano, Italy

    Hi, Giuseppe

    I just updated the BIOS, but Windows still doesn't properly recognize
    the drive. This is a strange problem. You'd think Microsoft would've
    fixed it by now as quite a few people have had this problem. Who knows
    how many have unknowingly lost disk space.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Just create a second partition in that unallocated partition and format
    a filesystem on it. It should show up as an alternative drive letter in
    Windows. It won't be the whole drive as one drive letter, but it will
    be the whole drive as two drive letters.

    Yousuf Khan
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    > It's Windows XP. I downloaded quite a few updates, and then service
    > pack 2.

    Well, then the other part of my advice of getting the BIOS flash update
    to upgrade the firmware used by your IDE controller will be required so
    it support 48-bit addressing mode to get past the 128GB boundary. You
    didn't mention the brand and model of your motherboard. Go to the
    motherboard maker's web site to get the flash update for BIOS.

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    >> Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio wrote:
    >> > but it's capacity is listed as 131GB.
    >>
    >> Update your bios.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Pepe
    >> Milano, Italy
    >

    > Hi, Giuseppe
    >
    > I just updated the BIOS, but Windows still doesn't properly recognize
    > the drive. This is a strange problem. You'd think Microsoft would've
    > fixed it by now as quite a few people have had this problem. Who knows
    > how many have unknowingly lost disk space.

    Because the geometric translation needed for the larger disk capacity
    won't match what got used before.

    Drives over 128GB were not in mass production when your version of
    Windows got released. Sorry, but Microsoft isn't a soothsayer, either.
    They cannot write software for every piece of hardware that might appear
    sometime later. That is why LATER updates and service packs will modify
    the OS so it would then support hardware that appears AFTER the release
    of a software product. It's not Microsoft's fault that the motherboard
    maker didn't provide an IDE controller that allows 48-bit addressing.
    Did the BIOS flash update actually specify that it support 48-bit
    addressing mode? Your motherboard - which you did not identify - might
    not be capable of supporting drives over 128GB in size.

    First determine if your motherboard actually will support drives over
    128GB in size. That may require a BIOS flash update. You said that you
    already did the latest update but firmware updates cannot magically
    alter hardware that is still incapable of changing its addressing width.
    Could be you grabbed the wrong update, too. If the motherboard cannot
    be made to support large drives, your choices are to install the overlay
    manager program from the drive maker (this replaces the bootstrap
    program in the MBR, so any other program that uses the MBR bootstrap
    area, like Goback or a multiboot manager, cannot be used), or get an IDE
    controller card whose BIOS and controller do support large drives. For
    awhile, Western Digital drives used to include their own controller
    cards because the motherboards and OS were not yet capable (many then
    got sold off on eBay and that's how I got one for an old host that could
    not be upgraded to support large drives).

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    > but it's capacity is listed as 131GB.

    Update your bios.

    --
    Pepe
    Milano, Italy
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Giuseppe Carmine De Blasio wrote:
    >> > but it's capacity is listed as 131GB.
    >>
    >> Update your bios.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Pepe
    >> Milano, Italy
    >

    > Hi, Giuseppe
    >
    > I just updated the BIOS, but Windows still doesn't properly recognize
    > the drive. This is a strange problem. You'd think Microsoft would've
    > fixed it by now as quite a few people have had this problem. Who knows
    > how many have unknowingly lost disk space.

    Did you reformat the disc after updating the BIOS? Maybe use an old Win98
    boot disk and use fdisk to remove the partition if the XP disk does not work
    (it should).

    Dave
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Dave wrote:

    > Did you reformat the disc after updating the BIOS? Maybe use an old Win98
    > boot disk and use fdisk to remove the partition if the XP disk does not work
    > (it should).
    >
    > Dave

    I prefer to use the HD manufacturers utility boot disk to do a Low Level
    format.. Gets rid of ALL the leftover nasties on the drive..
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    > I just updated the BIOS, but Windows still doesn't properly recognize
    > the drive. This is a strange problem. You'd think Microsoft would've
    > fixed it by now as quite a few people have had this problem. Who knows
    > how many have unknowingly lost disk space.

    Convert the disk to NTFS.

    --
    Pepe
    Milano, Italy

    Your motherboard is probably a slightly older one and it's BIOS cannot
    recognize a harddrive beyond 137 GB. Only the newer motherboards can.

    --
    DaveW

    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
    > GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
    > it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
    > this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message...
    > Hi, Giuseppe
    >
    > I just updated the BIOS, but Windows still doesn't properly
    > recognize the drive. This is a strange problem.

    It isn't strange at all, it's perfectly easy to explain.

    > You'd think Microsoft would've fixed it by now as quite a few
    > people have had this problem.

    Microsoft *have* fixed it, or, to put it another way, they've done as much
    as they can. Unfortunately, some things have to be left down to the user.

    > Who knows how many have unknowingly lost disk space.

    Anyone ignorant/dumb enough not to know whether the usable capacity of their
    drives matches what they've actually got probably won't notice the
    difference. Either way, your scenario is relatively uncommon, as most PC
    buyers purchase OEM boxes, and in these cases, your particular set of
    circumstances wouldn't occur.

    Your scenario is quite a unique one, in that you originally partitioned and
    formatted this drive on a vanilla copy of Windows XP that didn't include 48
    bit LBA support. You have since upgraded the OS, and at that point the
    "extra" capacity of your drive magically became available.

    As has been said elsewhere, the easiest (and arguably best) option is simply
    to create another partition with the spare capacity and create another
    logical drive in it.

    If you do want your entire drive formatted and available as C:\, you will
    need to use Partition Magic, or some similar third party tool.

    Incidentally, as others have said, for future reference it'd be far easier
    to help you if you gave us the pertinent info in your original post, rather
    than leaving us to assume/guess/ask.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    There's nothing wrong. If your OS is the original XP (pre-SPx, as it sounds
    from a later comment), it doesn't know about bigger disks than 131GB until
    SP1 (included in SP2). You can use of the 'unallocated space' as another
    partition, just Start->Run diskmgmt.msc, right click on the unallocated
    space and "New partition..". Then format it, and voilá, you have a new
    "disk", most likely labeled E: (if C: =system disk and D: =CD/DVD)

    Or use a 3rd party program, like Symantec/Norton PartitionMagic or Ramish
    PartitionManager, to resize the current partition to available space, ie.
    the whole HD

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> kirjoitti viestissä
    > I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
    > GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
    > it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
    > this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    The motherboard is an Abit AN8. ('Fatal1ty') The hard drive is a Maxtor
    6B200M0. Strangely enough, the hard drive I ordered (L01M200) wasn't
    the one I received -- and it was a 'retail' purchase. The company
    must've packaged the wrong hard drive into the wrong box. Since these
    two hard drives are hardly different (one's a Diamondmax 10 (6B200M0)
    and the other's a Diamondmax 9 (L01M200), I decided against sending it
    back. (already had a big problem with another order..)

    Now, if I partition this 'unallocated space', will it diminish in speed
    or anything of the sort? (as I type it's formatting..)

    I greatly appreciate all of the advice I've received.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    No, just open your Disk Management Console and create a new partition in the
    unallocated space, format it, and you're set. It will work like a second
    hard drive, but physically be the leftover portion of your hard drive.
    Alternately you could do all the stuff required to get the entire 200MB as
    your C drive, but is it really worth it? Personally I like to have my drive
    partitioned into at least 2 if not 3 or more 'virtual' drives, that way I
    can reformat my system partition ( the partition with Windows and all of my
    software installed on it, a.k.a. C: ) without losing any of my data on D:
    or, as I frequently have, my Linux system partition, Linux swap partition,
    and/or whatever other operating systems I am messing around with ( under the
    auspices of 'testing' ;p ).

    In fact, it actually makes things run more smoothly as things don't get as
    fragmented as quickly.

    ( things is an official term, or so says the latest SA&D text I have dragged
    myself through for some inane, unfathomable reason ;p )

    > The motherboard is an Abit AN8. ('Fatal1ty') The hard drive is a Maxtor
    > 6B200M0. Strangely enough, the hard drive I ordered (L01M200) wasn't
    > the one I received -- and it was a 'retail' purchase. The company
    > must've packaged the wrong hard drive into the wrong box. Since these
    > two hard drives are hardly different (one's a Diamondmax 10 (6B200M0)
    > and the other's a Diamondmax 9 (L01M200), I decided against sending it
    > back. (already had a big problem with another order..)
    >
    > Now, if I partition this 'unallocated space', will it diminish in speed
    > or anything of the sort? (as I type it's formatting..)
    >
    > I greatly appreciate all of the advice I've received.

  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    > Your motherboard is probably a slightly older one and it's BIOS cannot
    > recognize a harddrive beyond 137 GB. Only the newer motherboards can.
    > "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
    >> GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
    >> it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
    >> this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

    You also need to have at least SP1 installed for Windows XP
    to recognize it all. Try partitioning it so that no partition is
    greater than 137GB. You can do that by Disk Management.

    ---
    Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
    E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
    Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    On 17 Mar 2005 20:39:13 -0800, "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
    >GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
    >it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
    >this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

    Did you install an original (non/early service pack) release Windows
    (2K or XP) onto this drive? If so, it's normal. Unless you slipstream
    and reinstall or have partition magic, you are stuck with this. Unlike
    what everyone's saying, it looks like your BIOS is OK since Windows
    sees the extra space (after SP4 for W2K and SP2 for XP, I believe) so
    easiest thing you can do is to simply create a new partition in the
    unused space. *Check* that 48bit addressing is enabled first (I don't
    know the registry key off the top of my head, just google for
    "BigLBA", I think) and also *back up* first if you have personal data
    on that disk, just in case I am mistaken about the BIOS and and
    Windows happily cycles back and overwrites the start of your drive
    while trying to format the rest.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    In article <1111120753.309130.157340@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
    vercingetorix@hotmail.com says...

    >I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
    >GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
    >it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
    >this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

    See
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098

    48bitlba.reg

    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters]
    "EnableBigLba"=dword:00000001
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    I partitioned the drive. One is 137 GB and the other 66. It went
    smoothly, and the new drive is fully functional. As was said earlier in
    this thread, I think I'll stick with how it is because I rather like it
    since if I ever need to reformat or anything, I can store quite a bit
    of data on the new 'F:' drive. I appreciate all the help I've received
    here.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Under XP use can use the DISKPART command to extend partitions into adjacent
    free space.

    Look in Windows Help (Start / Help) for details on how to use this command.

    It is not recommended to use this on a system disk, but it works.

    As soon as the command completes, I would run a scandisk on the C: drive as
    this will ensure that the boundaries of the partition are correct etc and
    fix any anomolies - I have never had any anomlies...

    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The motherboard is an Abit AN8. ('Fatal1ty') The hard drive is a Maxtor
    > 6B200M0. Strangely enough, the hard drive I ordered (L01M200) wasn't
    > the one I received -- and it was a 'retail' purchase. The company
    > must've packaged the wrong hard drive into the wrong box. Since these
    > two hard drives are hardly different (one's a Diamondmax 10 (6B200M0)
    > and the other's a Diamondmax 9 (L01M200), I decided against sending it
    > back. (already had a big problem with another order..)
    >
    > Now, if I partition this 'unallocated space', will it diminish in speed
    > or anything of the sort? (as I type it's formatting..)
    >
    > I greatly appreciate all of the advice I've received.

  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    I've got a different problem now.

    I was forced to reformat. After reformatting both drives (one drive,
    two partitions), it states an accurate capacity (200 GB), but still
    lists free space as 129 GB. It's recognizing the drive beyond the limit
    set by MS, but now I can't partition it. It states used space as 73 GB,
    but essentially all I've got installed is XP.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    This is from the Western Digital FAQ:

    "There are three common reasons why a hard drive would be detected as 137GB
    (128GB Binary) during Windows installation:

    1. If the Windows installation CD does not contain Windows 2000 Service Pack
    3 or Windows XP Service Pack 1, the initial installation of Windows will not
    support drives larger than 137GB. During installation of Windows, the hard
    drive will be limited to a 137GB (or less) partition. After Windows
    installation as been completed and Service Pack 1 (for Windows XP) or
    Service Pack 3 (for Windows 2000) have been installed, the remaining empty
    area of the hard drive can be partitioned and formatted from the directions
    in Answer ID 330.

    2. The system does not have a 48-bit LBA-compatible Basic Input/Output
    System (BIOS) installed. This includes EIDE controller card BIOSs. Please
    contact your motherboard or controller card manufacturer to determine if
    your hardware supports 48-bit LBA addressing. Please see Answer ID 936 for
    information pertaining to this issue.

    3. Drivers for the motherboard IDE controller or controller card are not
    installed. Some motherboards and controller cards require drivers to be
    installed (during Windows installation) to support hard drives over 137GB.
    Please contact your motherboard or controller card manufacturer for
    installation instructions and driver availability for this issue."

    I have found that using the drive manufacturer's software (it either comes
    with the retail drive or you may download it from their Web site) is the
    best way to prepare and install a new hard drive.
    --
    Tally Ho!
    Ed
    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've installed a 200 GB hard drive, but it's capacity is listed as 131
    > GB. However, I went to device manager and checked it's properties, and
    > it states that there exists 63 GB worth of 'unallocated space'. What's
    > this mean, exactly? Can it be recovered? If so, how?

  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    "aether" wrote in message...
    > I was forced to reformat.

    Why? Seemed like you had everything pretty much licked. Also, when you say
    you've reformatted, do you literally just mean that you reformatted the C:\
    partition and reinstalled WinXP, or did you *completely* wipe and
    repartition the disk?

    > After reformatting both drives (one drive, two partitions), it states an
    > accurate capacity (200 GB),

    "It" states? What, exactly is "it"? Your prefernece to omit important
    information continues unabated it would appear.

    > but still lists free space as 129 GB.

    This means f**k all without knowing exactly what you are referring to here.
    Disk Manager? Explorer? A third party utility, what?

    Also, when you say that "free space [is] 129GB", is this the free space of
    the two partitions added together, the free space on the C:\ partition,
    what?

    > It's recognizing the drive beyond the limit set by MS,

    Again, what is "it"? If you want us to help you, you're going to have to
    come up with better than this. What, exactly, does Disk Management say about
    your disk?

    > but now I can't partition it. It states used space as 73 GB,

    It, it, it, it. Where, exactly, is this "used space"? Is it on your C:\
    partition or the D:\ partition?

    > but essentially all I've got installed is XP.

    Have you installed SP2? Have you tried running Scandisk? Can you still see
    both C:\ and D:\ (or whatever) in Explorer?
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    Mr Hopkins! I will not have the staff throwing chalk at the students. See me
    in my study after assembly.

    The Headmaster.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    LOL!

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    "h2so4" <elly.fant@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Mr Hopkins! I will not have the staff throwing chalk at the students. See
    > me in my study after assembly.
    >
    > The Headmaster.

  26. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    "h2so4" wrote in message...
    > Mr Hopkins! I will not have the staff throwing chalk at the students.
    > See me in my study after assembly.

    I never throw chalk at the brats I'll have you know. I use paperclips,
    projected by a fiendishly designed and incredibly accurate crossbow, made
    with three rulers, rubber bands, sellotape and a tin tack. Keeps the little
    turds quiet and learning, which is what they're bally well there for.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  27. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    > Richard Hopkins wrote:
    > "aether" wrote in message...
    > > I was forced to reformat.
    >
    > Why? Seemed like you had everything pretty much licked. Also, when
    you say
    > you've reformatted, do you literally just mean that you reformatted
    the C:\
    > partition and reinstalled WinXP, or did you *completely* wipe and
    > repartition the disk?

    I was in the process of setting up a home network, but wasn't quite
    connected yet. The ethernet card wasn't installed. At that moment,
    after a reboot, Windows demanded the activation key. It prevented me
    from logging onto windows, despite there being '30 days left for
    activation'. I couldn't activate when not connected. I reformatted the
    c: drive, and deleted the other partition.

    > > After reformatting both drives (one drive, two partitions), it
    states an
    > > accurate capacity (200 GB),
    >
    > "It" states? What, exactly is "it"? Your prefernece to omit important

    > information continues unabated it would appear.

    The OS. (XP home)

    > > but still lists free space as 129 GB.
    >
    > This means f**k all without knowing exactly what you are referring to
    here.
    > Disk Manager? Explorer? A third party utility, what?
    >
    > Also, when you say that "free space [is] 129GB", is this the free
    space of
    > the two partitions added together, the free space on the C:\
    partition,
    > what?

    It's a 200GB hard drive. Initially, the problem which brought about
    this thread, was that Windows wasn't showing the accurate drive size.
    However, I was able to partition the 'unallocated space'. Now, it's
    showing up, but the option of partitioning the 'unallocated space'
    doesn't exist. When I say the OS is 'showing it', that's only when I
    right-click properties on the drive in windows explorer. (Capacity:
    203,921,108,992 (189 GB) It also states, in properties, that used space
    is 76.6 GB -- when I've practically nothing installed. When I click on
    a folder, it states 'disk free space: 113GB'.

    > > It's recognizing the drive beyond the limit set by MS,
    >
    > Again, what is "it"? If you want us to help you, you're going to have
    > come up with better than this. What, exactly, does Disk Management
    say about
    > your disk?

    Disk management states the drive is: 189.92 GB NTFS Healthy

    > > but now I can't partition it. It states used space as 73 GB,
    >
    > It, it, it, it. Where, exactly, is this "used space"? Is it on your
    C:\
    > partition or the D:\ partition?

    I don't know where the used space is. There's no option in disk
    management to recover it, though. (unlike the first time)

    > > but essentially all I've got installed is XP.
    >
    > Have you installed SP2? Have you tried running Scandisk? Can you
    still see
    > both C:\ and D:\ (or whatever) in Explorer?

    Everything's installed.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    > Keeps the little turds quiet and learning, which is what they're bally
    > well there for.

    Fair enough...

    :-)

    --
    Pepe
    Milano, Italy

    "aether" <vercingetorix@hotmail.com> wrote in message...
    > I couldn't activate when not connected.

    Couldn't you have phoned the hotline? Either way I don't see why installing
    a network card would have locked you out of your installation, unless you
    were running an illegal software key.

    > I reformatted the c: drive, and deleted the other partition.

    Deleting the second partition was probably a mistake in the circumstances.

    >> "It" states? What, exactly is "it"?
    >
    > The OS. (XP home)

    Jeesh, what *specific* part of the OS? Explorer?

    > It's a 200GB hard drive. Initially, the problem which brought
    > about this thread, was that Windows wasn't showing the
    > accurate drive size.

    Yeah, we know about that. The fix was installing SP1 or greater.

    > However, I was able to partition the 'unallocated space'. Now, it's
    > showing up, but the option of partitioning the 'unallocated space'
    > doesn't exist.

    Again, where, exactly is it "showing up"? This continual failure to give us
    the full story makes it bloody difficult for any of us to help you, which
    isn't doing you any favours, is it?

    What size does Disk Management report for the:
    1) Primary Partition?
    2) Secondary partition (if any)?
    3) Logical drive(s) in the secondary partition (if present)?

    > Disk management states the drive is: 189.92 GB NTFS Healthy

    So Disk Management reports the primary partition as being 180-something GB?,
    and doesn't mention a secondary partition?

    > I don't know where the used space is. There's no option in disk
    > management to recover it, though. (unlike the first time)

    Looks a bit like your reformat/partition delete-reinstall vanilla XP process
    has screwed up the partition table. Have you tried looking at the disk with
    Partition Magic or a similar third party disk provisioning tool?
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

  30. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    > Richard Hopkins wrote:>
    > Looks a bit like your reformat/partition delete-reinstall vanilla XP
    process
    > has screwed up the partition table. Have you tried looking at the
    disk with
    > Partition Magic or a similar third party disk provisioning tool?
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
    >
    > The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com

    I refuse to spend $90 on Partition Magic in order to fix a problem
    caused by faulty software. (XP's limited ability to recognize large
    drives) There must be another way to recover this 'used' (nonexistent)
    hard drive space. Since I deleted the partition in FDISK, why wouldn't
    I have the same problem as before? (not recognizing it, but able to
    partition the 'unallocates space') Again, this is caused by outdated
    software. It's ridiculous to have such difficulty recognizing large
    hard drives in 2005. Hard drives with over 120GB of space have been
    around for apprx. four years.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    I didn't mention that the partitioned drive had nothing on it. It was
    completely blank. (unused) Recovery of files isn't the issue here. I
    want the space from the partition back.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.intel (More info?)

    if you had been doing a fresh install of XP that INCLUDED SP1 or SP2
    slipstreamed into them, then you would probably not be fighting this issue.
    since you went back to the original version of XP (at least as far as I can
    understand it...) you are faced with the same issue.

    --

    >> Richard Hopkins wrote:>
    >> Looks a bit like your reformat/partition delete-reinstall vanilla XP
    > process
    >> has screwed up the partition table. Have you tried looking at the
    > disk with
    >> Partition Magic or a similar third party disk provisioning tool?
    >> --
    >>

    >> Richard Hopkins
    >> Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    >> (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)
    >>
    >> The UK's leading technology reseller www.dabs.com
    >
    > I refuse to spend $90 on Partition Magic in order to fix a problem
    > caused by faulty software. (XP's limited ability to recognize large
    > drives) There must be another way to recover this 'used' (nonexistent)
    > hard drive space. Since I deleted the partition in FDISK, why wouldn't
    > I have the same problem as before? (not recognizing it, but able to
    > partition the 'unallocates space') Again, this is caused by outdated
    > software. It's ridiculous to have such difficulty recognizing large
    > hard drives in 2005. Hard drives with over 120GB of space have been
    > around for apprx. four years.

  33. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    > I've got a different problem now.
    >
    > I was forced to reformat. After reformatting both drives (one drive,
    > two partitions), it states an accurate capacity (200 GB), but still
    > lists free space as 129 GB. It's recognizing the drive beyond the limit
    > set by MS, but now I can't partition it. It states used space as 73 GB,
    > but essentially all I've got installed is XP.

    You installed with your old XP disk so of course your going to
    have the same problems with large disks.
    Create an slipstreamed disk with SP2 and use that to install XP
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    Jim M
  34. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    It seems that, unless I purchase partition magic, one way or another,
    I'm going to have to reformat.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Came across something interesting. I went to run in the start menu and
    typed 'chkdsk', and for the brief moment that it appears, I saw this:
    'WARNING! F parameter not specified'

    Now, 'F:' was the partition drive letter. What's this mean, exactly?
  36. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    > Came across something interesting. I went to run in the start menu and
    > typed 'chkdsk', and for the brief moment that it appears, I saw this:
    > 'WARNING! F parameter not specified'
    >
    > Now, 'F:' was the partition drive letter. What's this mean, exactly?

  37. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Mission accomplished! I ran 'check disk' (disk check, error-checking)
    at restart (drive properties, 'tools'), and after waiting awhile for it
    to finish (much longer than usual), the OS now recognizes the entire
    hard drive. Once again, I appreciate all the help I received here.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.sys.intel,comp.hardware (More info?)

    Good show! Glad you got is squared away in spite of Richard's help ;-)
    --
    Tally Ho!
    Ed
    > Mission accomplished! I ran 'check disk' (disk check, error-checking)
    > at restart (drive properties, 'tools'), and after waiting awhile for it
    > to finish (much longer than usual), the OS now recognizes the entire
    > hard drive. Once again, I appreciate all the help I received here.

Asus Hardware Device Manager Motherboards