DVD region

I am trying to play dvds but my players keep telling me
that my region is set wrong. They say it is set to 8 and
needs to be at 1. The thing is is that it is set to one.
Whats going on?
2 answers Last reply
More about region

    Michael;
    Check the manufacturer and/or website of the DVD player.
    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Michael" <MRB068@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >I am trying to play dvds but my players keep telling me
    > that my region is set wrong. They say it is set to 8 and
    > needs to be at 1. The thing is is that it is set to one.
    > Whats going on?

    Where do you live? This is the most important thing to know because if
    you live in the US, then you want it set to Region 1 since almost all
    DVD's sold in the US are set to that region. Same thing as if you live
    in Japan, almost all DVD's sold there are going to be for that region.
    If you live in the US or the DVD you are trying to watch is from the US,
    you can change the region of your DVD ROM drive, though you can only do
    this a few times, so make sure you don't end up locking your drive to a
    region (there are firmware hacks/upgrades that can be done to allow you
    to change more or be region free also).

    To change the region, try this:
    Click Start-Run-Type devmgmt.msc and click OK. Now expand DVD\CD Drives,
    double click on your DVD ROM drive, click DVD Region, set it to US (for
    Region 1) or where you live (for any other regions). Then click OK and
    you should be fine. Notice the number of remaining changes you have
    allowed on the same page ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Michael wrote:
    > I am trying to play dvds but my players keep telling me
    > that my region is set wrong. They say it is set to 8 and
    > needs to be at 1. The thing is is that it is set to one.
    > Whats going on?

Hardware DVD Microsoft Windows XP