System Crash after Memory Upgrade

August 15, 2004 6:56:16 PM

Hello,
I recently purchased additional memory, 2 sticks of 256mb
PC133, for my HP computer. I currently have 2x128mb and
this has worked since I bought my computer about 3 years
ago. My problem is that when I install both the new
sticks, 512 total, the system refuses to boot into
Windows and gives a FATAL SYSTEM ERROR. I don't get this
error with the 128mb memory, or even when mixing for a
total of 384. The memory is from Crucial.com and I have
run diagnostics on all sticks with no problems. I have
all the lastest Windows, BIOS, and hardware updates
available, and still it crashes. Crucial said it was an
HP problem, and HP told me it was a Windows XP problem.
I consider myself pretty technically advanced, but I'm
running out of ideas here. Somebody Please Help!
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 15, 2004 9:05:51 PM

I have an older HP 6465 that uses a ASUS MEVMB mobo and the
n440 BX chipset. ASUS manual says that 512 MB is supported,
but HP has a custom BIOS that stops at 256 MB. My guess is
that HP crippled your computer BIOS.

"Elliott" <sigmancool@aol.com> wrote in message
| Hello,
| I recently purchased additional memory, 2 sticks of 256mb
| PC133, for my HP computer. I currently have 2x128mb and
| this has worked since I bought my computer about 3 years
| ago. My problem is that when I install both the new
| sticks, 512 total, the system refuses to boot into
| Windows and gives a FATAL SYSTEM ERROR. I don't get this
| error with the 128mb memory, or even when mixing for a
| total of 384. The memory is from Crucial.com and I have
| run diagnostics on all sticks with no problems. I have
| all the lastest Windows, BIOS, and hardware updates
| available, and still it crashes. Crucial said it was an
| HP problem, and HP told me it was a Windows XP problem.
| I consider myself pretty technically advanced, but I'm
| running out of ideas here. Somebody Please Help!
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 15, 2004 9:05:52 PM

It's a Pavilion 7950 that I bought in Aug. 2001. HP said
there's nothing in the BIOS to limit ram--the system
actually has a listed max of 1 gig. That's why I don't
understand the crashes.
a b α HP
August 15, 2004 10:20:03 PM

"Elliott" <sigmancool@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I recently purchased additional memory, 2 sticks of 256mb
> PC133, for my HP computer. I currently have 2x128mb and
> this has worked since I bought my computer about 3 years
> ago. My problem is that when I install both the new
> sticks, 512 total, the system refuses to boot into
> Windows and gives a FATAL SYSTEM ERROR. I don't get this
> error with the 128mb memory, or even when mixing for a
> total of 384. The memory is from Crucial.com and I have
> run diagnostics on all sticks with no problems. I have
> all the lastest Windows, BIOS, and hardware updates
> available, and still it crashes. Crucial said it was an
> HP problem, and HP told me it was a Windows XP problem.
> I consider myself pretty technically advanced, but I'm
> running out of ideas here. Somebody Please Help!

Pretty baffling -- especially that it works when you mix
the modules. Did you buy the modules recommended
by Crucial's memory configurer on their website?

Only a few memory diagnostic programs are worth
anything. If you didn't use memtest86 or Memtest86+,
you might try one of those. You can download
Memtest86+ from http://www.memtest.org. Let it
run for a few cycles. You should get zero errors.

What model of HP computer do you have? A very old
model might not be able to take 512MB of ram. Check
your manual.

-- Bob Day
http://bobday.vze.com
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 15, 2004 10:20:04 PM

It's a Pavilion 7950 that I bought in Aug. 2001. I did
use Memtest86+ to check the ram and all 4 sticks came out
with no errors. HP said there's nothing in the BIOS to
prevent 512mb- the mobo actually has a max of 1 gig
memory. Yeah, it is weird that the errors only come with
512 installed. That's what I don't understand.
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 15, 2004 11:37:57 PM

> It's a Pavilion 7950 that I bought in Aug. 2001. I did
> use Memtest86+ to check the ram and all 4 sticks came out
> with no errors. HP said there's nothing in the BIOS to
> prevent 512mb- the mobo actually has a max of 1 gig
> memory. Yeah, it is weird that the errors only come with
> 512 installed. That's what I don't understand.

The only other thing that occurred to me is that it might
be a chip density or single sided/double sided issue.
But if the modules you bought are Crucial part
number CT262113, there's no doubt about it; they
definitely should work. Try laying the problem on the
HP people again.

-- Bob Day
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 15, 2004 11:58:25 PM

Greetings --

It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
requirements.

If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=swa...

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip

Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
computer and/or motherboard.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Elliott" <sigmancool@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I recently purchased additional memory, 2 sticks of 256mb
> PC133, for my HP computer. I currently have 2x128mb and
> this has worked since I bought my computer about 3 years
> ago. My problem is that when I install both the new
> sticks, 512 total, the system refuses to boot into
> Windows and gives a FATAL SYSTEM ERROR. I don't get this
> error with the 128mb memory, or even when mixing for a
> total of 384. The memory is from Crucial.com and I have
> run diagnostics on all sticks with no problems. I have
> all the lastest Windows, BIOS, and hardware updates
> available, and still it crashes. Crucial said it was an
> HP problem, and HP told me it was a Windows XP problem.
> I consider myself pretty technically advanced, but I'm
> running out of ideas here. Somebody Please Help!
Anonymous
a b α HP
August 16, 2004 6:49:02 PM

the problem is ram voltage causing instability.

try putting just the 2 256 dimms in and leave out the 128's

just because the mobo manufacturer put in 4 ram slots doesn't mean you're
gonna be able to use all 4 slots.

the problem is that ram becomes more unstable the more sticks you use, this
is due to a voltage drop accross the memory bus when you start to add more
ram. some motherboards are able to deal better with this due to better
circuitry to regulate ram voltage. however as it's an oem board it can go
either way as far as quality of the voltage regulation circuitry. some oem
boards are great and some are cheap and barely work with 2 sticks. your
chipet plays an important role as well. some chipsets are better able to deal
with voltage irregularities than others.

for example the nvidia nforce 2 is really bad at it no matter what the mobo
manufacturer did, hence only 3 ram slots on those boards even though they
support dual channel memory configs.

intel 865 and 875 are better able to deal with voltage drops in ram and can
accept 4 dimms.

older chipsets like 810 and 815 usually get completely flaky at 3 dimms.
while the 440 bx can go 4 or 3 depending on the mobo manufacturer.

via chipsets are typically also 3 or 4 depending on mobo voltage circuits.
however some of the earliest via chipsets for p3 and amd k7 are quite flaky
even at 2 dimms

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> Greetings --
>
> It is absolutely essential that any new RAM module(s) be fully
> compatible with both the motherboard and/or any other RAM module(s)
> already in the system. Additionally, there are sometimes jumper
> switches on older motherboards that need to be reset for new RAM
> configurations. Consult your motherboard's manual or the
> manufacturer's web site for specific instructions and compatibility
> requirements.
>
> If you cannot lay your hands upon the computer's manual and the
> manufacturer doesn't provide a support web site, you can use these
> utilities to help determine the correct type of RAM needed:
>
> SiSoft's Sandra
> http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=swa...
>
> Belarc Advisor
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
> http://forum.aumha.org/overflow/aida32.zip
>
> Also, Crucial Memory's web site (www.crucial.com) has a database
> to help to find the right RAM for your specific make and model
> computer and/or motherboard.
>

> Bruce Chambers
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH
>

> "Elliott" <sigmancool@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I recently purchased additional memory, 2 sticks of 256mb
> > PC133, for my HP computer. I currently have 2x128mb and
> > this has worked since I bought my computer about 3 years
> > ago. My problem is that when I install both the new
> > sticks, 512 total, the system refuses to boot into
> > Windows and gives a FATAL SYSTEM ERROR. I don't get this
> > error with the 128mb memory, or even when mixing for a
> > total of 384. The memory is from Crucial.com and I have
> > run diagnostics on all sticks with no problems. I have
> > all the lastest Windows, BIOS, and hardware updates
> > available, and still it crashes. Crucial said it was an
> > HP problem, and HP told me it was a Windows XP problem.
> > I consider myself pretty technically advanced, but I'm
> > running out of ideas here. Somebody Please Help!

April 28, 2010 2:06:53 AM

I have the same problem with a ThinkPad. Going from 2 128MB, 256M total to 2 256MB, 512MB total. Mixing one of each works but 512MB does not. The machine will boot in the safe mode only. The only thing I found that works is to replace the disk drive with another one I use as a backup drive and do a clean windows XP install. It is a windows problem but what? I would prefer to fix the original install rather than continue rebuilding a new installation of windows.

Ross Johnston
!