a7n8x-e Bios setup with SATA raid 0 boot

I currently have 2 SATA maxtor 120 gig HD's as raid 0 on drive F:\
and a very small Quantum fireball >4gig IDE HD as master boot as my C:\
drive .
I've installed a fresh winxppro w/sp1 OS's on both my IDE and SATA drives so
I have the option to boot to either drive OS. I want to eliminate my small
C:\ drive, but am having difficulty booting to the SATA drive without my C:\
drive present. Any ideas to configure my bios SATA first boot option? Thanks
for all your help in advance.

dd

Did you load the SATA RAID driver when you installed XP on the array?
Without it your expensive RAID array is useless as anything but a data
drive.

"powertoys" <powertoys@nospammail.com> wrote in message
> I currently have 2 SATA maxtor 120 gig HD's as raid 0 on drive F:\
> and a very small Quantum fireball >4gig IDE HD as master boot as my C:\
> drive .
> I've installed a fresh winxppro w/sp1 OS's on both my IDE and SATA drives
so
> I have the option to boot to either drive OS. I want to eliminate my small
> C:\ drive, but am having difficulty booting to the SATA drive without my
C:\
> drive present. Any ideas to configure my bios SATA first boot option?
Thanks
> for all your help in advance.

"powertoys" <powertoys@nospammail.com> wrote in message
>I currently have 2 SATA maxtor 120 gig HD's as raid 0 on drive F:\
> and a very small Quantum fireball >4gig IDE HD as master boot as my C:\
> drive .
> I've installed a fresh winxppro w/sp1 OS's on both my IDE and SATA drives
> so I have the option to boot to either drive OS. I want to eliminate my
> small C:\ drive, but am having difficulty booting to the SATA drive
> without my C:\ drive present. Any ideas to configure my bios SATA first
> boot option? Thanks for all your help in advance.

Reinstalling xp after removing IDE drive. For some reason or another I could
not do this from the get go.I hope I can set the bios to scsi for 1st boot.
Seems logical they should have an SATA 1st boot option.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Pull out the C drive.
Check boot settings in bios - have cdrom 1st then sata.
Run XP repair and install the sata raid drivers with F6.
Reinstall chipset drivers
Reinstall service packs
Reinstall critical updates

I would recommend getting XP SP2, but if you have not had it installed and
confirmed all is 100% then this is not realy the time to bung it in.

You do realise that raid 0 doubles the chance of volume failure?

"powertoys" <powertoys@nospammail.com> wrote in message
>I currently have 2 SATA maxtor 120 gig HD's as raid 0 on drive F:\
> and a very small Quantum fireball >4gig IDE HD as master boot as my C:\
> drive .
> I've installed a fresh winxppro w/sp1 OS's on both my IDE and SATA drives
> so I have the option to boot to either drive OS. I want to eliminate my
> small C:\ drive, but am having difficulty booting to the SATA drive
> without my C:\ drive present. Any ideas to configure my bios SATA first
> boot option? Thanks for all your help in advance.

Latest posts