iPAQ installation problems

1st I purchased a PalmOne zire 31 and was unable to hot-
sync due to error 1607 which Palm says there is
an "issue" with WinXP. I used every troubleshoot they
advised to no avail. Palm finally suggested calling
Microsoft. Microsoft will only help me for $$ because
when we bought our current PC it came with ME & a year
later we had XP installed on the hard drive by what
Microsoft called a licensed XP installer. Now that I have
an OEM in my registration # I no longer have Microsoft
tech support free. I must contact the installer, get the
OEM, then get their support. I decided to take the Palm
back & then purchased a HP iPAQ rz1715 and am basically
getting the same garbage. I chatted with a guy in HP's
tech support for over an hour & he said it a problem in
the OS & suggested I go back to square 1. The error I am
getting now (with the iPAQ) is "cannot find server..."
AND "the window installer service could not be accessed.
This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode or
if Windows Installer is not correctly installed." Since
that 2nd error message I have tried going to the "add
hardware" area & with the Installation CD that came with
the iPAQ in I am still getting nowhere. I have learned a
lot today, but really only wanted to start using my new
PDA. The old one certainly wasn't this much trouble. Can
anyone help me with different suggestions or do I really
need to contact tech support HELL at one or the other of
my sorry choices. Thank-you for being available.

Two things you need. First, find the drivers for your PDA. This will
most likely be on a CD that came with the PDA or on Compaq's website.
You can get it from either source you choose. Then you are going to
install Microsoft ActiveSync. You can get that off the same CD or from
Microsoft's website. Again, either source will work. Once you have
installed both of these, simply connect the PDA through the cradle/cable
it came with and you should be set to go.

It is important to use the CD that it came with as it usually includes a
copy of Outlook (XP or 2003) for synchronizing. You just need to
configure ActiveSync to do what you want.

----
Nathan McNulty

Shellie K wrote:
> 1st I purchased a PalmOne zire 31 and was unable to hot-
> sync due to error 1607 which Palm says there is
> an "issue" with WinXP. I used every troubleshoot they
> advised to no avail. Palm finally suggested calling
> Microsoft. Microsoft will only help me for $$ because
> when we bought our current PC it came with ME & a year
> later we had XP installed on the hard drive by what
> Microsoft called a licensed XP installer. Now that I have
> an OEM in my registration # I no longer have Microsoft
> tech support free. I must contact the installer, get the
> OEM, then get their support. I decided to take the Palm
> back & then purchased a HP iPAQ rz1715 and am basically
> getting the same garbage. I chatted with a guy in HP's
> tech support for over an hour & he said it a problem in
> the OS & suggested I go back to square 1. The error I am
> getting now (with the iPAQ) is "cannot find server..."
> AND "the window installer service could not be accessed.
> This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode or
> if Windows Installer is not correctly installed." Since
> that 2nd error message I have tried going to the "add
> hardware" area & with the Installation CD that came with
> the iPAQ in I am still getting nowhere. I have learned a
> lot today, but really only wanted to start using my new
> PDA. The old one certainly wasn't this much trouble. Can
> anyone help me with different suggestions or do I really
> need to contact tech support HELL at one or the other of
> my sorry choices. Thank-you for being available.

I'm using a Palm Zire 71 handheld and I can't HotSync it to my home computer.
It syncs perfectly fine to my work computer and my daughter's laptop, but my
home desktop (HP Pavillion 775 XL) won't let me install the Palm Desktop
software. When I checked the Device Manager, it recognized that I had a Palm
handheld hooked up, but it gave me a yellow question mark and said that it
had no drivers installed. I got with the folks at Palm and they gave me
instructions to update the driver set, I can't update it without the Palm
Desktop Software being installed first. I can't install the software without
the original driver set (it's supposed to be plug and play). I'm not sure if
it's missing or corrupted, but I don't know how to fix it.