P4C800 Deluxe swap from 3.0northwood to 3.4 prescott?

Can I swap out a P4 3.0Ghz Northwood with a P4 3.4Ghz Prescott processor
without changing anything?
I just tried this, but the computer wouldn't boot with the new processor.
Now I'm wondering if the new processor
is DOA because the computer will not boot. Power supply, fans etc will come
on, but the monitor will not get
any signal, etc.. I put the Northwood processor back in, and everything is
fine.
Any ideas???

thanks
Gary

You need bios version 1016 or 1017 for it to work
"GLeger" <legend96@NSPMeatel.net> wrote in message
> Can I swap out a P4 3.0Ghz Northwood with a P4 3.4Ghz Prescott processor
> without changing anything?
> I just tried this, but the computer wouldn't boot with the new processor.
> Now I'm wondering if the new processor
> is DOA because the computer will not boot. Power supply, fans etc will
> come on, but the monitor will not get
> any signal, etc.. I put the Northwood processor back in, and everything
> is fine.
> Any ideas???
>
> thanks
> Gary

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

"GLeger" <legend96@NSPMeatel.net> wrote in message
> Can I swap out a P4 3.0Ghz Northwood with a P4 3.4Ghz Prescott processor
> without changing anything?
> I just tried this, but the computer wouldn't boot with the new processor.
> Now I'm wondering if the new processor
> is DOA because the computer will not boot. Power supply, fans etc will
> come on, but the monitor will not get
> any signal, etc.. I put the Northwood processor back in, and everything
> is fine.
> Any ideas???
>
> thanks
> Gary

I had the same problem with a P4 3.2Eghz Prescott/ 1meg L2 cache CPU. I
swapped in a celeron 1.8ghz and got the monitor signal and updated the bios
to version 1019, the latest. Then I swapped back in the P4 3.2Eghz and there
was no signal going to the monitor to turn it on and let me enter the bios
screen.
I assumed a DOA cpu and RMA'd it back.
Let me know your results when you get a chance. Maybe it takes a 1016 or
1017 bios only.

Jimbo

"jimbo" <jimmy7forever@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "GLeger" <legend96@NSPMeatel.net> wrote in message
>> Can I swap out a P4 3.0Ghz Northwood with a P4 3.4Ghz Prescott processor
>> without changing anything?
>> I just tried this, but the computer wouldn't boot with the new processor.
>> Now I'm wondering if the new processor
>> is DOA because the computer will not boot. Power supply, fans etc will
>> come on, but the monitor will not get
>> any signal, etc.. I put the Northwood processor back in, and everything
>> is fine.
>> Any ideas???
>>
>> thanks
>> Gary
>>
> I had the same problem with a P4 3.2Eghz Prescott/ 1meg L2 cache CPU. I
> swapped in a celeron 1.8ghz and got the monitor signal and updated the
> bios to version 1019, the latest. Then I swapped back in the P4 3.2Eghz
> and there was no signal going to the monitor to turn it on and let me
> enter the bios screen.
> I assumed a DOA cpu and RMA'd it back.
> Let me know your results when you get a chance. Maybe it takes a 1016 or
> 1017 bios only.
>
> Jimbo

Jimbo, I updated the bios to 1019, and all is fine now, well for the most
part.
I can now use the new cpu. However, I'm still having problems in other
areas
Can't seem to get my SATA hard drive to work properly. Oh well!

Gary

Paul

Splendid

In article <ndadnafkU9iWdabfRVn-iw@eatel.net>, "GLeger"
<legend96@NSPMeatel.net> wrote:

> "jimbo" <jimmy7forever@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "GLeger" <legend96@NSPMeatel.net> wrote in message
> >> Can I swap out a P4 3.0Ghz Northwood with a P4 3.4Ghz Prescott processor
> >> without changing anything?
> >> I just tried this, but the computer wouldn't boot with the new processor.
> >> Now I'm wondering if the new processor
> >> is DOA because the computer will not boot. Power supply, fans etc will
> >> come on, but the monitor will not get
> >> any signal, etc.. I put the Northwood processor back in, and everything
> >> is fine.
> >> Any ideas???
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> Gary
> >>
> > I had the same problem with a P4 3.2Eghz Prescott/ 1meg L2 cache CPU. I
> > swapped in a celeron 1.8ghz and got the monitor signal and updated the
> > bios to version 1019, the latest. Then I swapped back in the P4 3.2Eghz
> > and there was no signal going to the monitor to turn it on and let me
> > enter the bios screen.
> > I assumed a DOA cpu and RMA'd it back.
> > Let me know your results when you get a chance. Maybe it takes a 1016 or
> > 1017 bios only.
> >
> > Jimbo
> >

> Jimbo, I updated the bios to 1019, and all is fine now, well for the most
> part.
> I can now use the new cpu. However, I'm still having problems in other
> areas
> Can't seem to get my SATA hard drive to work properly. Oh well!
>
> Gary

Have you tried all different SATA connectors ? Occasionally, there
are boards with dead ports, in which case you'll need to RMA. It
isn't likely all ports will die at the same time. If neither SATA1
nor SATA2 works, maybe it is a software or setup issue.

The BIOS has Enhanced+SATA mode and it has Compatible mode. The
BIOS default of Enhanced+SATA allows all six drives to be connected
to the Southbridge. In Compatible mode, you select which four of
six drives work. If your BIOS was set to Compatible, you may have
switched off the SATA ports that way.

Paul