Cordless Mouse Transmission Frequencies

I have a Microsoft Cordless Desktop (Optical Mouse & Keyboard).

The Middle Button (wheel) is no longer working. (The wheel works for
scrolling, but its button functionality does not.)

I'd rather not buy another desktop, would like to just replace the
mouse.

Do all MS mice use the same transmission frequencies? Or must I have
another transmission unit on my desk?

Thanks

Jentle Jiant

Jentle Jiant wrote:
> I have a Microsoft Cordless Desktop (Optical Mouse & Keyboard).
>
> The Middle Button (wheel) is no longer working. (The wheel works for
> scrolling, but its button functionality does not.)
>
> I'd rather not buy another desktop, would like to just replace the
> mouse.
>
> Do all MS mice use the same transmission frequencies? Or must I have
> another transmission unit on my desk?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jentle Jiant

You might try the Logitech Wireless Notebook Mouse. It's transmitter is
a small protrusion from a USB port and has plenty of range. Otherwise,
if you get another wireless mouse you should use the transmitter that is
supplied. BTW, it's the Intellimouse v5 that does not support the wheel
button in WinXP. Your mouse might be just fine.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:14:16 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>Jentle Jiant wrote:
>> I have a Microsoft Cordless Desktop (Optical Mouse & Keyboard).
>>
>> The Middle Button (wheel) is no longer working. (The wheel works for
>> scrolling, but its button functionality does not.)
>>
>> I'd rather not buy another desktop, would like to just replace the
>> mouse.
>>
>> Do all MS mice use the same transmission frequencies? Or must I have
>> another transmission unit on my desk?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jentle Jiant
>
>You might try the Logitech Wireless Notebook Mouse. It's transmitter is
>a small protrusion from a USB port and has plenty of range. Otherwise,
>if you get another wireless mouse you should use the transmitter that is
>supplied. BTW, it's the Intellimouse v5 that does not support the wheel
>button in WinXP. Your mouse might be just fine.

Thanks for the feedback.

If I will need 2 transmitters I will probably opt for the Logitech MX
duo with rechargable mouse.

My current mouse is not an intellimouse, and did once have wheel
button functionality. It died after about 6 months. I am lousy about
keeping receipts. Otherwise I would have asked for a replacement under
warrentee.

Again, I appreciate the feedback

Jentle Jiant

You may simply want to reinstall the drivers or install the latest
drivers. These allow for specific button mapping. This is what you may
be looking for:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx

----
Nathan McNulty

Jentle Jiant wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:14:16 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Jentle Jiant wrote:
>>
>>>I have a Microsoft Cordless Desktop (Optical Mouse & Keyboard).
>>>
>>>The Middle Button (wheel) is no longer working. (The wheel works for
>>>scrolling, but its button functionality does not.)
>>>
>>>I'd rather not buy another desktop, would like to just replace the
>>>mouse.
>>>
>>>Do all MS mice use the same transmission frequencies? Or must I have
>>>another transmission unit on my desk?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Jentle Jiant
>>
>>You might try the Logitech Wireless Notebook Mouse. It's transmitter is
>>a small protrusion from a USB port and has plenty of range. Otherwise,
>>if you get another wireless mouse you should use the transmitter that is
>>supplied. BTW, it's the Intellimouse v5 that does not support the wheel
>>button in WinXP. Your mouse might be just fine.

> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> If I will need 2 transmitters I will probably opt for the Logitech MX
> duo with rechargable mouse.
>
> My current mouse is not an intellimouse, and did once have wheel
> button functionality. It died after about 6 months. I am lousy about
> keeping receipts. Otherwise I would have asked for a replacement under
> warrentee.
>
> Again, I appreciate the feedback
>
> Jentle Jiant

Thanks for the response.

Done that. Software is up to date. And reinstalled. And uninstalled
and then reinstalled. Results always the same.

The button function just doesn't work anymore. No matter what function
I assign to it.

Been in touch with MS seeking compatablity info. Got that. Very
helpful and informative tech. A big surprise based on previous
experience with MS tech support. And he sent an offer to replace. BUT
when I called Parts Ordering I got rudeness, arrogance, unhelpfulness
and just basic back to form MS unconcern.

Based on the failure of the button function so early in the life of
the mouse I am going to replace the entire desktop with the Logitech
MX cordless Duo. Comes with rechargeable batteries and a recharging
station. AND a 5 year warrantee.

There, I have vented. And I feel soooo much better.

Thanks again for your interest and response.

Jentle Jiant

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:23:50 -0700, Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
wrote:

>You may simply want to reinstall the drivers or install the latest
>drivers. These allow for specific button mapping. This is what you may
>be looking for:
>http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx
>
>----
>Nathan McNulty
>

>Jentle Jiant wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:14:16 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
>> wrote:

>>>You might try the Logitech Wireless Notebook Mouse. It's transmitter is
>>>a small protrusion from a USB port and has plenty of range. Otherwise,
>>>if you get another wireless mouse you should use the transmitter that is
>>>supplied. BTW, it's the Intellimouse v5 that does not support the wheel
>>>button in WinXP. Your mouse might be just fine.

>> Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>> If I will need 2 transmitters I will probably opt for the Logitech MX
>> duo with rechargable mouse.
>>
>> My current mouse is not an intellimouse, and did once have wheel
>> button functionality. It died after about 6 months. I am lousy about
>> keeping receipts. Otherwise I would have asked for a replacement under
>> warrentee.
>>
>> Again, I appreciate the feedback
>>
>> Jentle Jiant

Give Replacement Part Ordering a call again. They have always been kind
to me. I installed a network in which several keyboards did not work
properly. They were very kind about it and just asked for a
scan/picture of the bottom of the five keyboards that weren't working.
Did that and they sent it overnight for me :)

----
Nathan McNulty

Jentle Jiant wrote:
> Thanks for the response.
>
> Done that. Software is up to date. And reinstalled. And uninstalled
> and then reinstalled. Results always the same.
>
> The button function just doesn't work anymore. No matter what function
> I assign to it.
>
> Been in touch with MS seeking compatablity info. Got that. Very
> helpful and informative tech. A big surprise based on previous
> experience with MS tech support. And he sent an offer to replace. BUT
> when I called Parts Ordering I got rudeness, arrogance, unhelpfulness
> and just basic back to form MS unconcern.
>
> Based on the failure of the button function so early in the life of
> the mouse I am going to replace the entire desktop with the Logitech
> MX cordless Duo. Comes with rechargeable batteries and a recharging
> station. AND a 5 year warrantee.
>
> There, I have vented. And I feel soooo much better.
>
> Thanks again for your interest and response.
>
> Jentle Jiant
>
> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:23:50 -0700, Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
> wrote:
>

>>You may simply want to reinstall the drivers or install the latest
>>drivers. These allow for specific button mapping. This is what you may
>>be looking for:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>

>>Jentle Jiant wrote:

>>>Thanks for the feedback.
>>>
>>>If I will need 2 transmitters I will probably opt for the Logitech MX
>>>duo with rechargable mouse.
>>>
>>>My current mouse is not an intellimouse, and did once have wheel
>>>button functionality. It died after about 6 months. I am lousy about
>>>keeping receipts. Otherwise I would have asked for a replacement under
>>>warrentee.
>>>
>>>Again, I appreciate the feedback
>>>
>>>Jentle Jiant

What a strange morning this has been... and I need to set the record
straight.

Just about immediately after posting my response to you, my eMail
dinged, and there was a follow up on this issue from tech support.
They are absolutely determined to get my mouse replaced, and have
promised to send it directly, through their own department, bypassing
Part Ordering entirely.

This incident has completely altered my feelings about MS tech
support. In this particular case, the techie has been dogged and
persistent, first it diagnosing, then in persuing the replacement
issue. I point out here that I did not ask for, nor expect, a
replacement. I keep lousy records, and could in no way prove my
purchase date. All I asked for was compatability information.

But tech support, in this case at least, and this individual at least,
are determined that this issue be resolved. I am very pleasantly
surprised and pleased.

As far as Part Ordering is concerned, the individual I spoke to was
insufferably rude. It only takes one such jerk to color entirely the
impression of a company. (I feel duty bound also to mention that this
fool sounded absolutely 100% All-American. There was no possibility of
a cultural lack of communication. The tech support rep, on the other
hand is obviously from India/Pakistan/Bangladesh , and despite
occasionaly awkward sytax had been unfailingly helpful and gracious!
This guy simply will not giveup.)

Compared to my dealings with tech support, Parts Ordering was cruel
and unusual punishment.

Within 10 minutes of my response with shipping info to tech support
this morning, I received confirmation and an estimated shipping date.
I am stunned.

It is rare indeed for me to say this, normally being congenitally and
passionately allergic to Microsoft, and sounds strange coming from my
brain, but on this one MS gets a huge AAAAA rating!

Again, thanks Nathan for your feedback. Pending reciept of the
replacement, this issue is resolved.

Jentle Jiant.

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:03:25 -0700, Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
wrote:

>Give Replacement Part Ordering a call again. They have always been kind
>to me. I installed a network in which several keyboards did not work
>properly. They were very kind about it and just asked for a
>scan/picture of the bottom of the five keyboards that weren't working.
>Did that and they sent it overnight for me :)
>
>----
>Nathan McNulty
>

>Jentle Jiant wrote:
>> Thanks for the response.
>>
>> Done that. Software is up to date. And reinstalled. And uninstalled
>> and then reinstalled. Results always the same.
>>
>> The button function just doesn't work anymore. No matter what function
>> I assign to it.
>>
>> Been in touch with MS seeking compatablity info. Got that. Very
>> helpful and informative tech. A big surprise based on previous
>> experience with MS tech support. And he sent an offer to replace. BUT
>> when I called Parts Ordering I got rudeness, arrogance, unhelpfulness
>> and just basic back to form MS unconcern.
>>
>> Based on the failure of the button function so early in the life of
>> the mouse I am going to replace the entire desktop with the Logitech
>> MX cordless Duo. Comes with rechargeable batteries and a recharging
>> station. AND a 5 year warrantee.
>>
>> There, I have vented. And I feel soooo much better.
>>
>> Thanks again for your interest and response.
>>
>> Jentle Jiant
>>
>> On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 01:23:50 -0700, Nathan McNulty <nospam@msn.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>You may simply want to reinstall the drivers or install the latest
>>>drivers. These allow for specific button mapping. This is what you may
>>>be looking for:
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/Download.mspx
>>>
>>>----
>>>Nathan McNulty

That's great to hear. When dealing with Microsoft's hardware
department, they have always been great to me. Parts Ordering seem to
always have the same routine, but they've never come across as rude to
me, just an attitude of not caring.

There are two things MS likes to do with their Tech Support. First,
their priority is to keep you happy. If that means sending you a new
keyboard instead of making you work for a few hours trying to get the
one you have to work, that's what they will do. The second thing they
sometimes do (they did this for my BlueTooth Wireless Desktop), is they
will ask that you send the faulty hardware in so they can look at it.
It is clear to me that when they have issues that occur more than they
should, they like to look into it and see if they can fix it. I like to
see that from any company, but particularly one that is so large and
could just as easily not do anything for you.

Though we all have our qualms with Microsoft's OS and sometimes their
hardware, you have to admit they have put a lot of work into their
software/hardware and it works just as well if not better than other
products available on the market. One thing that is nice about MS
Hardware is that it will always be supported by their OS :p

----
Nathan McNulty