BIOS; I look for config info.

Hi, I have a Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. I have just gone into
the BIOS and in
MAIN/Prymary IDE Master/Type/32BIT DATA Transfer
I have noticed it is (Disable). Have I to replace it in "Enable"?
Thnaks

bye Adriano

Paul

Splendid

In article <tlvn311iet35m1lurbsitiuo8jledl5pi0@4ax.com>,
ashuat@interfree.it wrote:

> Hi, I have a Asus P4C800 Deluxe motherboard. I have just gone into
> the BIOS and in
> MAIN/Prymary IDE Master/Type/32BIT DATA Transfer
> I have noticed it is (Disable). Have I to replace it in "Enable"?
> Thnaks
>

> bye Adriano

As far as I know, that setting only affects performance if a
drive is running in PIO mode. All your drives are in DMA
mode, so it will make no difference. You can set it
to 32 bit if you wish, but don't expect an improvement
in your hard drive.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=8&var1=0&var2=3

If you wish a fast drive, get as high a rotational speed as you
can. For example, a SATA interface Raptor:

http://westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=65&Language=en

The Raptor is 74GB in size, so is not a very big drive, but it
is fast. 72MB/sec max transfer rate.

To see how your disk drives are rated, go here:

http://www.storagereview.com/comparison.html

Select "WB99 Disk/Read Transfer Rate - Begin" and click "Sort".
SCSI disks have the fastest transfer rate, at 97.4MB/sec,
followed by SATA Raptor WD740GD 71.8MB/sec, and IDE Maxtor
Diamondmax Plus 8 40GB drive at 60.2MB/sec. So, SCSI drives
are the fastest, the Raptor SATA is the fastest SATA drive,
and the fastest IDE (parallel ribbon cable) drive is 60MB/sec.

Paul