Disaster and heartbreak - advice appreciated - with A8V De..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

If anybody has the time and the patience, would they mind flipping some
advice my way? I completed (I thought) my build and was gearing up to
deal with the XP/SATA driver issue when I began to hit problems -
initially limited to my floppy not recognizing disks and now escalated
to the point that when I turn my computer on, the green light on the
motherboard is the only sign of life.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

My system is:
Asus A8V Deluxe (refurb but looks brand new)
AMD Athlon 64 3000+
2X Mushkin PC3200 512 MB
2X SATA Seagate Barracuda 160GB, hooked up in Raid0 through the
on-board VIA SATA controller
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
Rosewill 52X etc. CD-RW
NEC DL DVD/CD-RW
Sony 1.44MB Floppy
Enlight case (don't have model number at the moment) w/ 360W PSU

OK - so despite my lack of knowledge, the system seemed to go together
OK. Sure, I couldn't seem to get the front power switch to work
(despite trying it in every possible configuration on the designated
pins), but the system POSTed just fine, I was able to set up the HD
array in the VIA utility, BIOS recognized the RAM and the optical
drives, floppy drive, etc. just peachy.

Perfect, right? So I started to install Win XP Pro w/ SP2 and hit F6 at
the appropriate time to load the floppy with the SATA RAID VIA drivers
- created by the makedisk utility on the ASUS cd. Unfortunately, the XP
Install program didn't recognize the disk - it kept asking me to put
the right disk in no matter how many times I hit enter.

That's when I started to get the idea that something was up with my
floppy drive - it didn't even let me navigate, it kept turning down
each disk. So I created a book disk from another machine (Win98),
restarted it, and tried to boot from it - no go. It just kept asking
for a path to a boot disk. The floppy light came on at the appropriate
time, I could hear it trying to read the disk, but there was nobody
home.

Everything pointed to a floppy problem, so since I always have trouble
with floppy cables, I tried flipping it upside down and all that. No
help there - I just got the "light permanently on or no light at all"
scenarios. So restored the cable orientation and returned to the point
where the drive appeared to work great, it just didn't read disks.

Then I went online and tried to find others who suffered from this
problem - one person had, and had cleared CMOS by changing the CLRTC
jumper to 2&3 instead of 1&2 and removing the battery. That had solved
their problem, strangely enough. So I tried that - I figured at worst,
I'd just have to redo the one or two changes I had made in the BIOS
settings (boot order and that sort of thing).

The only problem, is that after I did that and set the jumper back to
the default 1&2, when I tried to power back on, absolutely nothing
happened. The green light on the motherboard came on, but no fans, no
lights, no activity, no nothing. I'm completely lost on what problem
this could be or what I could do to solve it. I'm just hoping I didn't
somehow fry everything - though I'm not sure how that could be.

I've now Googled for a solution to *this* problem, but without any
luck. I figure I'm better off throwing myself on the mercy of Usenet
with a specific issue and hope for the best.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd *love* to hear them - both on
getting my system to POST or even show any kind of activity again, and
on what my floppy problem might be. If the CLRTC hadn't worked, I was
going to swap my floppy out of my other machine (major pain), but now
that there's no activity at all, there doesn't seem to be any point!

Cheers,
Chris Hafner
15 answers Last reply
More about disaster heartbreak advice appreciated
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

    In article <1111228566.047954.217660@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    hafner@peoplepc.com wrote:

> [...]
    > the default 1&2, when I tried to power back on, absolutely nothing
    > happened. The green light on the motherboard came on, but no fans, no
    > lights, no activity, no nothing. I'm completely lost on what problem
    > this could be or what I could do to solve it. I'm just hoping I didn't
    > somehow fry everything - though I'm not sure how that could be.
    >
    > I've now Googled for a solution to *this* problem, but without any
    > luck. I figure I'm better off throwing myself on the mercy of Usenet
    > with a specific issue and hope for the best.
    >
    > If anybody has any suggestions, I'd *love* to hear them - both on
    > getting my system to POST or even show any kind of activity again, and
    > on what my floppy problem might be. If the CLRTC hadn't worked, I was
    > going to swap my floppy out of my other machine (major pain), but now
    > that there's no activity at all, there doesn't seem to be any point!

    Did you unplug the computer while doing the clear cmos procedure ?
    You can damage the board, if you use the jumper while the green LED
    is lit on the board. While not all boards wire the CMOS/battery the
    same way, some of them are set up so if you use the jumper, it
    shorts some part of +5VSB through the jumper, burning a three pin
    ORing diode in the process. The safe conservative procedure, is to
    unplug the computer before doing any work in there.

    Usually the procedure in the manual, will make unplugging the computer
    the first step. There are several Asus manuals that have incorrect
    procedures in them, and for those, the only warning about this can be
    found in Google or on a private forum.

    I would put that mobo back in the box and RMA. It sounds like your
    floppy port was dead to start with.

    Paul

    No6 wrote:
    > Have you tried disconnecting the floppy (both data and power cables)
    and
    > then booting it up? I've had a bad drive once that caused the
    behaviour
    > that you describe.
    >
    > It should take only a few minutes to pull the two cables. If it
    boots,
    > then you can test it with another floppy (or just replace the thing).
    >
    > -6

    That's a good suggestion, and I gave it a shot - still no activity.
    Inspired by your suggestion, I began to systematically pull everything
    else - front USB port, front panel connectors, SATA drive connectors
    .... still nothing. I still haven't removed the optical drive IDE
    connectors because I got depressed at the lack of response. Despair is
    killer for motivation.

    And happily, ASUS tech support doesn't work weekends.

    Cheers,
    Chris Hafner
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

    Jan Alter wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Can't help noticing the Asus is a refurb. I wouldn't be surprised
    if it's
    > already in Florida, because simply clearing the bios settings by
    changing
    > the jumper should not have any drastic effects on the thing starting
    up. And
    > I agree with you that nothing you've been doing should cause a
    catastrophic
    > meltdown of any component, and the initial problem was most likely a
    bad
    > floppy drive. It seems like they simply don't make those drives even
    > reasonably dependable anymore.

    Thanks, Jan. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is with
    the motherboard; but then I'm also confused as to why everything could
    be working perfectly (with the exception of the floppy controller or
    floppy drive problem) and then clearing CMOS would render the board
    completely helpless. The whole thing has me positively flummoxed.

    > >OK. Sure, I couldn't seem to get the front power switch to work
    >
    > How do you start the machine if the power switch isn't working? Do
    you
    > short the two power on pins together on the mb? You didn't say.

    I just used the power switch on the back. And bizarrely enough, reset
    button worked like a charm.

    > By the way
    > check the voltage on the CMOS battery. If the battery is bad there's
    > remote possiblitly that powering up could be a problem. I'm assuming
    it
    > should be 3 volts.

    I don't have the means to do this, but I'll try to figure something
    out.

    > I'll be interested in hearing the outcome to this story.

    Me too ... :-)

    Thansk for your help.

    Cheers,
    Chris Hafner
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

    Paul wrote:
    > In article <1111228566.047954.217660@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
    > hafner@peoplepc.com wrote:

    <snip>

    > Did you unplug the computer while doing the clear cmos procedure ?
    > You can damage the board, if you use the jumper while the green LED
    > is lit on the board. While not all boards wire the CMOS/battery the
    > same way, some of them are set up so if you use the jumper, it
    > shorts some part of +5VSB through the jumper, burning a three pin
    > ORing diode in the process. The safe conservative procedure, is to
    > unplug the computer before doing any work in there.
    >
    > Usually the procedure in the manual, will make unplugging the
    computer
    > the first step. There are several Asus manuals that have incorrect
    > procedures in them, and for those, the only warning about this can be

    > found in Google or on a private forum.

    Actually, *anything* I do inside the box is with the power plug
    unplugged - though normally my safety concern is for me, not the
    machine.

    It's a possibility that I forgot when I changed the jumper, but I doubt
    it.

    > I would put that mobo back in the box and RMA. It sounds like your
    > floppy port was dead to start with.

    This may be exactly right. Although if the floppy reads at the right
    time and uses its LED correctly, it sounds more like a drive problem to
    me than anything else.

    I appreciate the help, Paul.

    Cheers,
    Chris Hafner

    Donald Gray wrote:
    > On 19 Mar 2005 02:36:06 -0800, hafner@peoplepc.com wrote:
    >

    > []
    > >2X SATA Seagate Barracuda 160GB, hooked up in Raid0 through the
    > >on-board VIA SATA controller
    >
    > []
    > Hi Chris
    >
    > The thing I suggest is to DEEPLY question your choice of Raid 0 or
    > even raid at all...

    <snip>

    > SO, as an advocate and member of the Non-Raid section, I do earnestly
    > suggest that you ask yourself again, "Do I really NEED Raid 0?"

    Thanks, Donald, and I appreciate the advice - though in my current
    position, I'm not really even in a position to think about it. Kind of
    like telling a guy who's just been stabbed and looking for medical
    advice that he should really consider quitting smoking. Probably true,
    but not really the problem at hand.

    Cheers,
    Chris Hafner
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

    hafner@peoplepc.com wrote in news:1111228566.047954.217660
    @l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > Everything pointed to a floppy problem, so since I always have trouble
    > with floppy cables, I tried flipping it upside down and all that. No
    > help there - I just got the "light permanently on or no light at all"
    > scenarios. So restored the cable orientation and returned to the point
    > where the drive appeared to work great, it just didn't read disks.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

    Hi,
    Can't help noticing the Asus is a refurb. I wouldn't be surprised if it's
    already in Florida, because simply clearing the bios settings by changing
    the jumper should not have any drastic effects on the thing starting up. And
    I agree with you that nothing you've been doing should cause a catastrophic
    meltdown of any component, and the initial problem was most likely a bad
    floppy drive. It seems like they simply don't make those drives even
    reasonably dependable anymore.

    >OK. Sure, I couldn't seem to get the front power switch to work

    How do you start the machine if the power switch isn't working? Do you
    short the two power on pins together on the mb? You didn't say. By the way
    check the voltage on the CMOS battery. If the battery is bad there's a

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    <hafner@peoplepc.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > luck. I figure I'm better off throwing myself on the mercy of Usenet
    > with a specific issue and hope for the best.
    >
    > If anybody has any suggestions, I'd *love* to hear them - both on
    > getting my system to POST or even show any kind of activity again, and
    > on what my floppy problem might be. If the CLRTC hadn't worked, I was
    > going to swap my floppy out of my other machine (major pain), but now
    > that there's no activity at all, there doesn't seem to be any point!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris Hafner

    On 19 Mar 2005 02:36:06 -0800, hafner@peoplepc.com wrote:

    []
    >2X SATA Seagate Barracuda 160GB, hooked up in Raid0 through the
    >on-board VIA SATA controller

    []
    Hi Chris

    The thing I suggest is to DEEPLY question your choice of Raid 0 or

    Do you NEED raid 0??? Unless you are using big databases and accessing
    it very frequently, then you may not actually need it...

    I purchased a machine as a built-up system that was running the A8V
    and 2 x 200 Maxtor .../150 drives. I was, at that time very please
    with it and it performed like a dream... So far, so good. About thee
    months into its life, I lost some data & discovered a whole bunch of
    corrupt files (mainly image & MP3 stuff) This may have been caused by
    a virus or something - it doesn't matter what or why for this
    discussion... I had some duff data...OK?

    This made me investigate reliability of raid 0 & backup systems. As a
    photographer, I have a huge amount of image files at risk.

    I very rapidly discovered that by halving the MTBF (mean time between
    failures) figures by using two drives as if they are one, I was at far
    greater risk of catastrophic data loss if one of 'em went down...

    After seeking advice in this group I was advised that I was wasting
    resources by using raid0...

    I have just spent some time reconfiguring the A8V board, scrapping
    Raid 0 as too risky. I set up the drives on the VIA sata0 & sata1and
    installed the sata drives during the initial install sequence of XP
    home.

    I have been running it with all my installed software for a couple of
    weeks now and it seems even sweeter than before.

    Now, instead of 2 drives as raid 0, I have drives C & D. I have
    doubled the reliability of my drive system. And...

    With the help & Inspiration of Wayne Fulton of this group, I have a
    very neat and simple batch file that backs up my 'My Documents' data
    to drive C (and as an extra safety, I backup to an external drive G)

    SO, as an advocate and member of the Non-Raid section, I do earnestly
    suggest that you ask yourself again, "Do I really NEED Raid 0?"
    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Thanks
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

    >Asus A8V Deluxe (refurb but looks brand new)
    >AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    >2X Mushkin PC3200 512 MB
    >2X SATA Seagate Barracuda 160GB, hooked up in Raid0 through the
    >on-board VIA SATA controller
    >ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    >Rosewill 52X etc. CD-RW
    >NEC DL DVD/CD-RW
    >Sony 1.44MB Floppy
    >Enlight case (don't have model number at the moment) w/ 360W PSU

    Right off the bat I have problems with the PSU. Everything you list
    puts a huge strain on the power supply for about 2 seconds. Run of the
    mill PSU that ship with cases won't cut it. The green light on the
    mobo being lit, does not mean the PSU has enough juice to get
    everything powered up.

    On 19 Mar 2005 10:24:41 -0800, "Chris Hafner" <hafner@peoplepc.com>
    wrote:

    >Donald Gray wrote:
    >> On 19 Mar 2005 02:36:06 -0800, hafner@peoplepc.com wrote:
    >>

    >> []
    >> >2X SATA Seagate Barracuda 160GB, hooked up in Raid0 through the
    >> >on-board VIA SATA controller
    >>
    >> []
    >> Hi Chris
    >>
    >> The thing I suggest is to DEEPLY question your choice of Raid 0 or
    >> even raid at all...
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >> SO, as an advocate and member of the Non-Raid section, I do earnestly
    >> suggest that you ask yourself again, "Do I really NEED Raid 0?"
    >
    >Thanks, Donald, and I appreciate the advice - though in my current
    >position, I'm not really even in a position to think about it. Kind of
    >like telling a guy who's just been stabbed and looking for medical
    >advice that he should really consider quitting smoking. Probably true,
    >but not really the problem at hand.

    I guess so......

    Errrrrrr - ahem....Want an asprin?

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

> [...]
    > the default 1&2, when I tried to power back on, absolutely nothing
    > happened. The green light on the motherboard came on, but no fans, no
    > lights, no activity, no nothing. I'm completely lost on what problem
    > this could be or what I could do to solve it. I'm just hoping I didn't
    > somehow fry everything - though I'm not sure how that could be.
    >
    > I've now Googled for a solution to *this* problem, but without any
    > luck. I figure I'm better off throwing myself on the mercy of Usenet
    > with a specific issue and hope for the best.
    >
    > If anybody has any suggestions, I'd *love* to hear them - both on
    > getting my system to POST or even show any kind of activity again, and
    > on what my floppy problem might be. If the CLRTC hadn't worked, I was
    > going to swap my floppy out of my other machine (major pain), but now
    > that there's no activity at all, there doesn't seem to be any point!

    Did you take anti-static precautions while working on motherboard? Check
    that jumper is REALLY on 1&2. If still no joy, disconnect ALL drive cables
    and adapters from motherboard. Try with only video connected.
    Mike.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:29:42 -0500, AndrewJ
    <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote:

    >>Asus A8V Deluxe (refurb but looks brand new)
    >>AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    >>2X Mushkin PC3200 512 MB
    >>2X SATA Seagate Barracuda 160GB, hooked up in Raid0 through the
    >>on-board VIA SATA controller
    >>ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    >>Rosewill 52X etc. CD-RW
    >>NEC DL DVD/CD-RW
    >>Sony 1.44MB Floppy
    >>Enlight case (don't have model number at the moment) w/ 360W PSU
    >
    >Right off the bat I have problems with the PSU. Everything you list
    >puts a huge strain on the power supply for about 2 seconds. Run of the
    >mill PSU that ship with cases won't cut it. The green light on the
    >mobo being lit, does not mean the PSU has enough juice to get
    >everything powered up.

    It's true that the typical generic comes-with-case PSU isn't
    too good, but Enlights' (Sirtec, aka Thermaltake) aren't too
    bad in the 340W+ sizes, maybe (small) notch below Antec.
    However, their older PSU designs were targeted more at 5V
    amperage, so the Enlight 360W might be pretty good for a
    360W PSU, and yet not optimal, low 12V capacity for this
    specific system due to it's use of 12V for CPU power.

    No point in considering all the components though, since
    system should be stripped down to nothing but bare
    essentials to troubleshoot, and of course voltage readings
    of PSU should pinpoint any deficiencies... since it's not
    necessarily about PSU quality in this case but rather
    whether the PSU has ample 12V capacity.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

    Sure does sound like you have the reset and power
    pins reversed. However, I don't know how to stress
    this enough. ASUS mobos are pure kid stuff, and a
    refurb is bad kid stuff. ASUS simply will not admit
    that they build flakey mobos, and then load them up
    with way too many toys. When something goes wrong,
    they blame it on the kid who bought it, and ship it right
    back out the door as a refurb. I won't work on one
    anymore.

    johns

    On 19 Mar 2005 10:21:31 -0800, "Chris Hafner" <hafner@peoplepc.com>
    wrote:

    >Chris Hafner

    I've just added a USB floppy Chris, works fine
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems (More info?)

    On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 23:10:42 -0800, "johns"
    <johns123xxx@xxxmoscow.com> wrote:

    >Sure does sound like you have the reset and power
    >pins reversed. However, I don't know how to stress
    >this enough. ASUS mobos are pure kid stuff, and a
    >refurb is bad kid stuff. ASUS simply will not admit
    >that they build flakey mobos, and then load them up
    >with way too many toys. When something goes wrong,
    >they blame it on the kid who bought it, and ship it right
    >back out the door as a refurb. I won't work on one
    >anymore.
    >
    >johns

    Yeah but you've already estabished an illogical bios against
    them. There is nothing in particular, different about
    setup, use, or troubleshooting Asus board, except that they
    might have a few more jumpers than average.

    For all the vague implications you make, multiple times as
    many people disagree, evidenced by the mass numbers of
    repeat customers if nothing else. Trying to be constructive
    I suggest you figure out where YOU are doing something wrong
    because nobody is unlucky enough to get that many bad boards
    when everyone else isn't. There are counterfeit Asus boards
    out there from what I've heard, maybe you need a different
    supplier.

Asus Hardware Motherboards