I used to be able to tap my screen to turn on my PDA....

June 25, 2004 1:07:21 AM

Now I can't. I have gone through every setting, two or three times,
trying to find any other setting than the 'Turn on Device in Suspend
Mode' if a button is pushed. That function is fine.

Can someone help me find the setting or whatever I am missing?

TIA

More about : tap screen turn pda

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 1:07:22 AM

Have you tried a soft reset?

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Norm C" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message news:D oHCc.107$ju5.60@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Now I can't. I have gone through every setting, two or three times,
> trying to find any other setting than the 'Turn on Device in Suspend
> Mode' if a button is pushed. That function is fine.
>
> Can someone help me find the setting or whatever I am missing?
>
> TIA

---
June 25, 2004 3:19:40 AM

I don't think there is such a setting, but ........

Did you not have a long time set before switchoff, but with the backlight
set to turn off fairly quickly?
In Settings, Backlight there is a setting for turning the backlight off
after x minutes, and a setting to turn it back on again if the screen is
tapped. If the screen is set here to turn off after 1 minute if the device
is not used....
then in Power, Settings, Advanced tab- the device is not set to turn off the
power ....

This should give the effect you are talking about. But I didn't try it

Let us know if this was the way it worked please.

"Norm C" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D oHCc.107$ju5.60@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Now I can't. I have gone through every setting, two or three times,
> trying to find any other setting than the 'Turn on Device in Suspend
> Mode' if a button is pushed. That function is fine.
>
> Can someone help me find the setting or whatever I am missing?
>
> TIA

June 25, 2004 8:57:22 AM

Thanks Alan.

Don't know how I missed the "Light the display if a button is pressed or
the screen is tapped" option under BRIGHTNESS | BATTERY POWER. That's
what I was looking for.

I have it selected. After reading your post, I have come to the
conclusion that it may be a matter of how I have the times set for dim
and power off. Just another cockpit error on my part.

AlanS wrote:
> I don't think there is such a setting, but ........
>
> Did you not have a long time set before switchoff, but with the backlight
> set to turn off fairly quickly?
> In Settings, Backlight there is a setting for turning the backlight off
> after x minutes, and a setting to turn it back on again if the screen is
> tapped. If the screen is set here to turn off after 1 minute if the device
> is not used....
> then in Power, Settings, Advanced tab- the device is not set to turn off the
> power ....
>
> This should give the effect you are talking about. But I didn't try it
>
> Let us know if this was the way it worked please.
>

> "Norm C" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:D oHCc.107$ju5.60@twister.socal.rr.com...
>
>>Now I can't. I have gone through every setting, two or three times,
>>trying to find any other setting than the 'Turn on Device in Suspend
>>Mode' if a button is pushed. That function is fine.
>>
>>Can someone help me find the setting or whatever I am missing?
>>
>>TIA

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 10:11:26 PM

Glad the issue was solved, but wanted to mention something. The Jornada
series actually did have a turn on with screen tap setting. I used it a lot,
since the integrated cover kept things off the screen, I just flipped it
open, pulled the stylus and tapped to get started.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"AlanS" <news@remove.abyz.fslife.co.uk> wrote in message
> I don't think there is such a setting, but ........
>
> Did you not have a long time set before switchoff, but with the backlight
> set to turn off fairly quickly?
> In Settings, Backlight there is a setting for turning the backlight off
> after x minutes, and a setting to turn it back on again if the screen is
> tapped. If the screen is set here to turn off after 1 minute if the device
> is not used....
> then in Power, Settings, Advanced tab- the device is not set to turn off
the
> power ....
>
> This should give the effect you are talking about. But I didn't try it
>
> Let us know if this was the way it worked please.
>

> "Norm C" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:D oHCc.107$ju5.60@twister.socal.rr.com...
> > Now I can't. I have gone through every setting, two or three times,
> > trying to find any other setting than the 'Turn on Device in Suspend
> > Mode' if a button is pushed. That function is fine.
> >
> > Can someone help me find the setting or whatever I am missing?
> >
> > TIA

Anonymous
June 26, 2004 4:22:02 AM

Yes, that was it.

I didn't try to figure out why it wasn't working. I just made the power
off time very long amd the dim time very short. Now it works again.

Sven, my interest in this is because I see the mechanical switches as
the weakest part of the device, so I want to minimize their use.

AlanS wrote:
> I don't think there is such a setting, but ........
>
> Did you not have a long time set before switchoff, but with the backlight
> set to turn off fairly quickly?
> In Settings, Backlight there is a setting for turning the backlight off
> after x minutes, and a setting to turn it back on again if the screen is
> tapped. If the screen is set here to turn off after 1 minute if the device
> is not used....
> then in Power, Settings, Advanced tab- the device is not set to turn off the
> power ....
>
> This should give the effect you are talking about. But I didn't try it
>
> Let us know if this was the way it worked please.
>

> "Norm C" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:D oHCc.107$ju5.60@twister.socal.rr.com...
>
>>Now I can't. I have gone through every setting, two or three times,
>>trying to find any other setting than the 'Turn on Device in Suspend
>>Mode' if a button is pushed. That function is fine.
>>
>>Can someone help me find the setting or whatever I am missing?
>>
>>TIA

Anonymous
June 26, 2004 5:33:11 PM

Screen tapping is mechanical too, the pressure sensitive action can fail-
its just another screen layer set up to detect the pressure of contact.
I'd bet changing the whole screen (they are built as a unit with this layer
part of the assembly) is a lot more expensive than just changing the switch
(unless it's the fixed cost repair that many places seem to use now).

I've had touch screen failures in the past and it was around £125 to replace
the greyscale screen- non-screen repairs were around £75. I wonder what
these colour screens cost?
(Psion 5mx http://www.posltd.com/servicing.htm )

> Yes, that was it.
>
> I didn't try to figure out why it wasn't working. I just made the power
> off time very long amd the dim time very short. Now it works again.
>
> Sven, my interest in this is because I see the mechanical switches as
> the weakest part of the device, so I want to minimize their use.
>
> AlanS wrote:
> > I don't think there is such a setting, but ........
> >
> > Did you not have a long time set before switchoff, but with the
backlight
> > set to turn off fairly quickly?
> > In Settings, Backlight there is a setting for turning the backlight off
> > after x minutes, and a setting to turn it back on again if the screen is
> > tapped. If the screen is set here to turn off after 1 minute if the
device
> > is not used....
> > then in Power, Settings, Advanced tab- the device is not set to turn off
the
> > power ....
> >
> > This should give the effect you are talking about. But I didn't try it
> >
> > Let us know if this was the way it worked please.
> >

> > "Norm C" <normc@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> > news:D oHCc.107$ju5.60@twister.socal.rr.com...
> >
> >>Now I can't. I have gone through every setting, two or three times,
> >>trying to find any other setting than the 'Turn on Device in Suspend
> >>Mode' if a button is pushed. That function is fine.
> >>
> >>Can someone help me find the setting or whatever I am missing?
> >>
> >>TIA

Anonymous
June 27, 2004 9:52:46 AM

You may very well be right I've been around many failed switches, but
no failed touch-screens (not even unfailed touch-screens <g>.)

It would be interesting to know other's experiences with PDA
touch-screens and switches. Perhaps others will let us know.

!