Icons not displaying properly

DJ-Specter

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Hi,

Some application icons and files that are use them to open aren't displaying their proper icon and are displaying a default windows icon.

This is happening in the taskbar, the desktop and the start menu.

I've tried deleting the iconcache.db file which didn't work.

I've attached some photos illustrating the problem.

Any ideas are extremely welcomed!!

Thanks a lot

Start Menu:

icon%20display%201.png

Taskbar:

icon%20display%202.png

Solution
Here's a slightly quicker version of the instructions.
1. Press Ctrl-Shift-Escape to get the task manager.
2. In the Processes tab, click on explorer.exe and click End Process. You'll get a confirmation dialog. Click "End Process" to confirm.
3. From the File menu (still in the task manager), choose New Task (Run...).
4. Copy/paste/enter the following command in the run box:
Code:
cmd /c del %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db /a
5. Open the Run box again with File --> New Task (Run...). This time, enter this command:
Code:
explorer.exe
6. All should be okay now. Open the Start Menu and confirm that your icons are fixed now.

What happened to the computer before this happened? Did you try a registry cleaner tool or something? Do the shortcuts work OK and just the icons are different? Did you try to roll back to a earlier restore point?

Helladios

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
The registry points to the icons which Windows 7 will use for "Office" documents. These icons are not the icons inside winword.exe, but some other icons, somewhere else. If, usually while "cleaning" the registry, you delete those references, you lose the icons for (the respective) "Office" documents.

I cannot remember where these icons reside, neither am I sure how to reinstate them. However, the above may help someone else to shed some more light on the issue.

Helladios

bhadri

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Here's a slightly quicker version of the instructions.
1. Press Ctrl-Shift-Escape to get the task manager.
2. In the Processes tab, click on explorer.exe and click End Process. You'll get a confirmation dialog. Click "End Process" to confirm.
3. From the File menu (still in the task manager), choose New Task (Run...).
4. Copy/paste/enter the following command in the run box:
Code:
cmd /c del %userprofile%\AppData\Local\IconCache.db /a
5. Open the Run box again with File --> New Task (Run...). This time, enter this command:
Code:
explorer.exe
6. All should be okay now. Open the Start Menu and confirm that your icons are fixed now.

Solution

Carson Umberger

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014

I know you posted this awhile ago, but I saw this thread come up on google, and just wanted to say thanks a bunch, it helped!

shizzzy

Reputable
Apr 10, 2014

Thanks, this worked

pastorccamacho

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014

Hi: tried exactly what you detailed in your instructions, but still the "office" apps come up with generic windows icons (I've got Office 2003, btw)...

hayhay7789

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014

You should seriously get the latest MS Office. Office 2003 isn't supported anymore. http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/support-has-ended-for-office-2003-HA103306332.aspx

acturbo

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

This worked perfectly, thank you!
Running Win7 64-bit.

Hyunckel

Reputable
Sep 18, 2014

Found this thread thanks to Google (after many searching queries)...

I registered just to thank you (and hopefully bring this thread higher in the search results for other people)

Worked perfectly on Windows 8.1 64bits.

Nathan Clark

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

wow this was a great solution, I've always wanted explorer to stop working completely. thumbs up

Marcela de Epila

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

This worked perfectly! Thank you so much!

john stilos

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015

και για μένα δούλεψε τέλεια ευχαριστώ φίλε (σε Windows 8.1 64bits )

vinjamurie

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015

TO,

DEAR BHADRI JI,

I WOULD LIKE TO CONVEY MY SINCERE THANKS, AS I TOO DEVELOPED SIMILAR KIND OF TROUBLE
IN WHICH FEW OF THE "ICONS" OF MY WIN7 ULTIMATE 64 BIT SYSTEM STOPPED AS WHAT THEY WERE
SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE...

I HAVE APPLIED YOUR TWEAK, AND SUCCESSFULLY TROUBLESHOOTED THE PROBLEM... AND NOW ALL
ICONS ARE LOOKING NORMAL... :)

THANKS A TON....

Best of luck...

Vinjamurie

cowpants

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

Yep, worked like a charm for me, too. Windows 7 32 bit. Thank you!

Lovs

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015

Thanks SO much. This worked for me as well. Found by using Google!

Lovs

Reputable
Mar 21, 2015

This worked for me as well! Thank you!
Found this by using Google.

thanksyoufoool

Reputable
Apr 6, 2015

you are one helpful mother fvcking, thank you!

mikephillips99

Reputable
May 24, 2016
I case sophivan or anyone else is STILL stuck on this, as I was, having tried all the aboves, I discovered that something had eaten the contents of the windows/installer folder and removed nearly all the GUID folders. I copied them from another W64 machine and pasted in, and after a reboot and a few file association resets, all is now well.