All PCI slots lost

Hello !

I have an ASROCK P4I45D. Excuse me to be in the ASUS group, but ASROCK
belongs to the ASUS family (the cheap relative) anyway.
It worked fine since 2 years using a P4 Northwood 2,4/533.
Now i had to change the CPU to a Celeron 2,0/400.
And now it does not recognize any PCI card in any slot.
It also does not recognize the onboard LAN und USB 2.0 devices.
Both IDE, onboard sound and USB 1.1 are working fine.
I did already a cmos clear. (no result)

Any ideas ???

Don't know anything about Asrock however. Of course the obvious questions:
Does your MB support 400MHz FSB CPUs... not all do. Is the CPU tested and
working in another system. Although quite frankly this should have nothing
to do with your issue it may be worth testing.

Under Windows, first off you need to trying re-installing your chipset
drivers. Normally I would say to make sure these devices are seen at post,
however most of the items you mention (with the possible exception of USB
2.0) are not normally displayed.

Are there unknown devices of any type in your device manager? Is this one
of those dumb MB that have all of the PCI cards held in with a single
bracket? try checking to make sure the bracket wasn't loosened during your
processor switch. Again, this should have no effect on an on-board USB 2.0
chip but would if usb 2.0 was supported by an add-on card.

Changing to another compatible CPU should not effect the PCI bus at all!
Don't have a clue other than these general suggestions on what else to try.

Good Luck,
Len

"Gottfried Dominici" <xyz@gmx.at> wrote in message
> Hello !
>
> I have an ASROCK P4I45D. Excuse me to be in the ASUS group, but ASROCK
> belongs to the ASUS family (the cheap relative) anyway.
> It worked fine since 2 years using a P4 Northwood 2,4/533.
> Now i had to change the CPU to a Celeron 2,0/400.
> And now it does not recognize any PCI card in any slot.
> It also does not recognize the onboard LAN und USB 2.0 devices.
> Both IDE, onboard sound and USB 1.1 are working fine.
> I did already a cmos clear. (no result)
>
> Any ideas ???

If your are using XP as your OS - do a Repair Installation.

"Len Mattix" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in

> Don't know anything about Asrock however. Of course the obvious
> questions: Does your MB support 400MHz FSB CPUs... not all do. Is the
> CPU tested and working in another system. Although quite frankly this
> should have nothing to do with your issue it may be worth testing.
>
> Under Windows, first off you need to trying re-installing your chipset
> drivers. Normally I would say to make sure these devices are seen at
> post, however most of the items you mention (with the possible
> exception of USB 2.0) are not normally displayed.
>
> Are there unknown devices of any type in your device manager? Is
> this one of those dumb MB that have all of the PCI cards held in with
> a single bracket? try checking to make sure the bracket wasn't
> loosened during your processor switch. Again, this should have no
> effect on an on-board USB 2.0 chip but would if usb 2.0 was supported
> by an add-on card.
>
> Changing to another compatible CPU should not effect the PCI bus at
> all! Don't have a clue other than these general suggestions on what
> else to try.
>
> Good Luck,
> Len

Hello,
thanks for the answer.
Yes, the board supports 400MHz.
http://www.asrock.com/product/product_p4i45d.htm
I dont have the chance to test the cpu in another system. But it it
brandnew, and the system itself runs fine. (with the mentioned
exceptions..)
No PCI card bracket...
It has nothing to do with windows at all. Windows just does not see the
missing devices.
The problem showed up the first time, when i built a new system (intended
to be my spare system) with this board and tried to boot with a PCI graphic
card (card is ok and works in another system). Nothing... only a black
screen and a view peeps.
With an AGP graphic card all comes up like normal.

very mysterious...

Paul

Splendid

In article <Xns961E9B96F2732xyzgmxat@140.99.99.130>, Gottfried Dominici
<xyz@gmx.at> wrote:

> "Len Mattix" <len207@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > Don't know anything about Asrock however. Of course the obvious
> > questions: Does your MB support 400MHz FSB CPUs... not all do. Is the
> > CPU tested and working in another system. Although quite frankly this
> > should have nothing to do with your issue it may be worth testing.
> >
> > Under Windows, first off you need to trying re-installing your chipset
> > drivers. Normally I would say to make sure these devices are seen at
> > post, however most of the items you mention (with the possible
> > exception of USB 2.0) are not normally displayed.
> >
> > Are there unknown devices of any type in your device manager? Is
> > this one of those dumb MB that have all of the PCI cards held in with
> > a single bracket? try checking to make sure the bracket wasn't
> > loosened during your processor switch. Again, this should have no
> > effect on an on-board USB 2.0 chip but would if usb 2.0 was supported
> > by an add-on card.
> >
> > Changing to another compatible CPU should not effect the PCI bus at
> > all! Don't have a clue other than these general suggestions on what
> > else to try.
> >
> > Good Luck,
> > Len
> >

> Hello,
> thanks for the answer.
> Yes, the board supports 400MHz.
> http://www.asrock.com/product/product_p4i45d.htm
> I dont have the chance to test the cpu in another system. But it it
> brandnew, and the system itself runs fine. (with the mentioned
> exceptions..)
> No PCI card bracket...
> It has nothing to do with windows at all. Windows just does not see the
> missing devices.
> The problem showed up the first time, when i built a new system (intended
> to be my spare system) with this board and tried to boot with a PCI graphic
> card (card is ok and works in another system). Nothing... only a black
> screen and a view peeps.
> With an AGP graphic card all comes up like normal.
>
> very mysterious...

Did you install the motherboard in another computer enclosure ?
Perhaps the computer enclosure has a brass standoff which is
shorting to the bottom of the motherboard ? You could try
removing the motherboard, and testing the motherboard, PSU, and
other components, while they sit on your work table.

Your motherboard manual mentions that slot5 cannot contain a
bus mastering PCI card, so the video card should not go in
slot 5. Perhaps you could test the PCI video card in the
other slots, one at a time.

Does the computer work, if both the AGP _and_ the PCI video
cards are plugged in ? Perhaps you can work some configuration
magic while both cards are installed, make the PCI card the
primary output window, then remove the AGP card.

Also, in the BIOS, there is a submenu called "Resource
configuration" and an item "Primary Graphics Adapter" [PCI].
It might currently be set to [AGP]. Note that, if at some
future time, you do the "clear CMOS" procedure, the default
BIOS setting will return to AGP, which might require you to
temporarily plug in an AGP card again.

PCI bus failures are not too common, so maybe you can get the
board working again.

If you want to try clearing the CMOS, remember to unplug the
computer first, before trying it. Some motherboards can be
damaged, if you clear the CMOS, while the board still has
+5VSB running on it. Unplugging the computer first, will
protect it from that problem.

Just some guesses,
Paul

nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote in

> Did you install the motherboard in another computer enclosure ?
> Perhaps the computer enclosure has a brass standoff which is
> shorting to the bottom of the motherboard ? You could try
> removing the motherboard, and testing the motherboard, PSU, and
> other components, while they sit on your work table.
>
> Your motherboard manual mentions that slot5 cannot contain a
> bus mastering PCI card, so the video card should not go in
> slot 5. Perhaps you could test the PCI video card in the
> other slots, one at a time.
>
> Does the computer work, if both the AGP _and_ the PCI video
> cards are plugged in ? Perhaps you can work some configuration
> magic while both cards are installed, make the PCI card the
> primary output window, then remove the AGP card.
>
> Also, in the BIOS, there is a submenu called "Resource
> configuration" and an item "Primary Graphics Adapter" [PCI].
> It might currently be set to [AGP]. Note that, if at some
> future time, you do the "clear CMOS" procedure, the default
> BIOS setting will return to AGP, which might require you to
> temporarily plug in an AGP card again.
>
> PCI bus failures are not too common, so maybe you can get the
> board working again.
>
> If you want to try clearing the CMOS, remember to unplug the
> computer first, before trying it. Some motherboards can be
> damaged, if you clear the CMOS, while the board still has
> +5VSB running on it. Unplugging the computer first, will
> protect it from that problem.
>
> Just some guesses,
> Paul

Hi,

this is not a PCI/AGP graphic card issue. In this case i would use the AGP
card, and have no problem. But the PCI slots do not accept any PCI card. I
noticed that, when i tried to use a SCSI PCI controller card.
But you are right, it is another computer enclusore. (and another power
supply, but the voltages are ok). So i will try your suggestion to test the
components on the work table. SIGH !!!

Gottfried

> Hi,
>
> this is not a PCI/AGP graphic card issue. In this case i would use the
> AGP card, and have no problem. But the PCI slots do not accept any PCI
> card. I noticed that, when i tried to use a SCSI PCI controller card.
> But you are right, it is another computer enclusore. (and another
> power supply, but the voltages are ok). So i will try your suggestion
> to test the components on the work table. SIGH !!!
>
> Gottfried

Hi,

I did it. Tested the MB outside of the enclosure on the
table. Same result. So I assume there must be something broken inside of
the MB.
I give up....

thanks..

Gottfried

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 09:48:11 GMT, Gottfried Dominici <xyz@gmx.at> wrote:

>Gottfried Dominici <xyz@gmx.at> wrote in
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> this is not a PCI/AGP graphic card issue. In this case i would use the
>> AGP card, and have no problem. But the PCI slots do not accept any PCI
>> card. I noticed that, when i tried to use a SCSI PCI controller card.
>> But you are right, it is another computer enclusore. (and another
>> power supply, but the voltages are ok). So i will try your suggestion
>> to test the components on the work table. SIGH !!!
>>
>> Gottfried
>>

>Hi,
>
>I did it. Tested the MB outside of the enclosure on the
>table. Same result. So I assume there must be something broken inside of
>the MB.
>I give up....
>
>thanks..
>
>Gottfried

Did you make sure the clock ratio selectors are set properly?
Perhaps somehow you've errantly managed to get the PCI bus clock running at
"Ludicrous Speed"?