Boot (POST) problems (with A8V-E Dlx)

I`m hoping someone out there will be able to help me out.
I have an A8V-E Dlx mobo, an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU, 2x 512 mb Corsair XMS 3700
ram, Antec True430 W power supply (on a 20 to 24 pins adaptor) and an Asus
N6600 GT PCI-E video card.
I have double checked all my connections and everything goes where it is
supposed to go ( I hope!) . When I turn the power switch on, it powers up,
all the fans come on and everything seems fine. But, no beeps, no screen
image, no post reporter, NO POST!
I have tried moving the ram around, and removing one stick at a time. The
ram is fine since I was just using it with an A7N8X-E Dlx 2 days ago before
I chose to upgrade.
I am now wondering if the CPU could be the problem, or the video card?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is getting very
frustrating!
Thanks in advance!

Paul

Splendid

In article <XrZ_d.33410$N8.933583@news20.bellglobal.com>, "G. Cossette"
<ghislaine.cossette@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I`m hoping someone out there will be able to help me out.
> I have an A8V-E Dlx mobo, an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU, 2x 512 mb Corsair XMS 3700
> ram, Antec True430 W power supply (on a 20 to 24 pins adaptor) and an Asus
> N6600 GT PCI-E video card.
> I have double checked all my connections and everything goes where it is
> supposed to go ( I hope!) . When I turn the power switch on, it powers up,
> all the fans come on and everything seems fine. But, no beeps, no screen
> image, no post reporter, NO POST!
> I have tried moving the ram around, and removing one stick at a time. The
> ram is fine since I was just using it with an A7N8X-E Dlx 2 days ago before
> I chose to upgrade.
> I am now wondering if the CPU could be the problem, or the video card?
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is getting very
> frustrating!
> Thanks in advance!

Is the processor 2x2 ATX12V power connected ? That powers
vcore for the processor and the board won't post if it
isn't connected.

The second possibility, is try another power supply. Just in
case this is an Antec compatibility problem. Even an old
350W clunker will do, just for a quick test.

Paul

HI It seems that im having some of the same problems you are,and i am
looking into it. but if you have any info on why my a8n-sli deluxe
motherboard wont boot up,it would be helpfull.
fans work, heatsink1 works cpu fan dose not but when put on cha2 fan
prong it works. no lights,sounds, nothing .all conections seem to be in
correct position. ddr dim,s removed but still nothing.

Here is an update for those who want to know:
It was actually the Corsair XMS 3700 ram causing the problem. I replaced it
with regular pc 3200 ram and it posted. Now, the Asus Voice tells me that No
floppy drive is found and Post stops at a prompt which reads "Floppy drive
failed. Hit F1 to continue or Del for setup" Great. But wait! The keyboard
does not work! So, I cannot go beyond this point. I tried switching the
cable on the floppy around (at both ends) but still with the same result,
same with a different cable.
I guess now I have to find another keyboard somewhere to move beyond this
point. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

"G. Cossette" <ghislaine.cossette@sympatico.ca> a écrit dans le message de
news: XrZ_d.33410$N8.933583@news20.bellglobal.com...
> I`m hoping someone out there will be able to help me out.
> I have an A8V-E Dlx mobo, an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU, 2x 512 mb Corsair XMS
> 3700 ram, Antec True430 W power supply (on a 20 to 24 pins adaptor) and an
> Asus N6600 GT PCI-E video card.
> I have double checked all my connections and everything goes where it is
> supposed to go ( I hope!) . When I turn the power switch on, it powers up,
> all the fans come on and everything seems fine. But, no beeps, no screen
> image, no post reporter, NO POST!
> I have tried moving the ram around, and removing one stick at a time. The
> ram is fine since I was just using it with an A7N8X-E Dlx 2 days ago
> before I chose to upgrade.
> I am now wondering if the CPU could be the problem, or the video card?
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is getting very
> frustrating!
> Thanks in advance!

Paul

Splendid

In article <dR0%d.33622$N8.970439@news20.bellglobal.com>, "G. Cossette"
<ghislaine.cossette@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Here is an update for those who want to know:
> It was actually the Corsair XMS 3700 ram causing the problem. I replaced it
> with regular pc 3200 ram and it posted. Now, the Asus Voice tells me that No
> floppy drive is found and Post stops at a prompt which reads "Floppy drive
> failed. Hit F1 to continue or Del for setup" Great. But wait! The keyboard
> does not work! So, I cannot go beyond this point. I tried switching the
> cable on the floppy around (at both ends) but still with the same result,
> same with a different cable.
> I guess now I have to find another keyboard somewhere to move beyond this
> point. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Both the keyboard and the floppy, interface to the Super I/O chip.
The chip is located in the upper right hand corner of the motherboard.

Maybe this chip is busted, or not soldered properly. Inspect it
visually and see if it looks OK.

If you want to read up on the chip, it will likely be on this page.
Since new Asus motherboards no longer have the nice color picture
in them, I cannot see what the part number is on the chip.

Look in the I/O or Smart I/O section, for your Super I/O chip:
http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/view.phtml?name=PCIC

Now, a thought that comes to mind, is maybe a standoff is
touching that chip or a wire associated with that chip.
You might try assembling the board and components on a
table top, and see if the system works any better.

Paul

> "G. Cossette" <ghislaine.cossette@sympatico.ca> a écrit dans le message de
> news: XrZ_d.33410$N8.933583@news20.bellglobal.com...
> > I`m hoping someone out there will be able to help me out.
> > I have an A8V-E Dlx mobo, an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU, 2x 512 mb Corsair XMS
> > 3700 ram, Antec True430 W power supply (on a 20 to 24 pins adaptor) and an
> > Asus N6600 GT PCI-E video card.
> > I have double checked all my connections and everything goes where it is
> > supposed to go ( I hope!) . When I turn the power switch on, it powers up,
> > all the fans come on and everything seems fine. But, no beeps, no screen
> > image, no post reporter, NO POST!
> > I have tried moving the ram around, and removing one stick at a time. The
> > ram is fine since I was just using it with an A7N8X-E Dlx 2 days ago
> > before I chose to upgrade.
> > I am now wondering if the CPU could be the problem, or the video card?
> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is getting very
> > frustrating!
> > Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the great help Paul!
Well, I located the Super I/o Chip and inspected it carefully. It looks
fine. Also, nothing is even close to touching it. I gently hit it a few
times (very lightly!!!) and turned the power on again to the same result.
The most irritating part is that I cannot even access the BIOS... I guess
then I was sold a faulty mobo. Just my luck... I will return it tomorrow and
get a new one... What a pain... As it is always the case with Asus lately...
Thank you again for your great help Paul!