Boot (POST) problems (with A8V-E Dlx)

I`m hoping someone out there will be able to help me out.
I have an A8V-E Dlx mobo, an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU, 2x 512 mb Corsair XMS 3700
ram, Antec True430 W power supply (on a 20 to 24 pins adaptor) and an Asus
N6600 GT PCI-E video card.
I have double checked all my connections and everything goes where it is
supposed to go ( I hope!) . When I turn the power switch on, it powers up,
all the fans come on and everything seems fine. But, no beeps, no screen
image, no post reporter, NO POST!
I have tried moving the ram around, and removing one stick at a time. The
ram is fine since I was just using it with an A7N8X-E Dlx 2 days ago before
I chose to upgrade.
I am now wondering if the CPU could be the problem, or the video card?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is getting very
frustrating!
Thanks in advance!
5 answers Last reply
More about boot post problems with

    In article <XrZ_d.33410$N8.933583@news20.bellglobal.com>, "G. Cossette"
    <ghislaine.cossette@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    > I`m hoping someone out there will be able to help me out.
    > I have an A8V-E Dlx mobo, an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU, 2x 512 mb Corsair XMS 3700
    > ram, Antec True430 W power supply (on a 20 to 24 pins adaptor) and an Asus
    > N6600 GT PCI-E video card.
    > I have double checked all my connections and everything goes where it is
    > supposed to go ( I hope!) . When I turn the power switch on, it powers up,
    > all the fans come on and everything seems fine. But, no beeps, no screen
    > image, no post reporter, NO POST!
    > I have tried moving the ram around, and removing one stick at a time. The
    > ram is fine since I was just using it with an A7N8X-E Dlx 2 days ago before
    > I chose to upgrade.
    > I am now wondering if the CPU could be the problem, or the video card?
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is getting very
    > frustrating!
    > Thanks in advance!

    Is the processor 2x2 ATX12V power connected ? That powers
    vcore for the processor and the board won't post if it
    isn't connected.

    The second possibility, is try another power supply. Just in
    case this is an Antec compatibility problem. Even an old
    350W clunker will do, just for a quick test.

    Paul

    HI It seems that im having some of the same problems you are,and i am
    looking into it. but if you have any info on why my a8n-sli deluxe
    motherboard wont boot up,it would be helpfull.
    fans work, heatsink1 works cpu fan dose not but when put on cha2 fan
    prong it works. no lights,sounds, nothing .all conections seem to be in
    correct position. ddr dim,s removed but still nothing.

    Here is an update for those who want to know:
    It was actually the Corsair XMS 3700 ram causing the problem. I replaced it
    with regular pc 3200 ram and it posted. Now, the Asus Voice tells me that No
    floppy drive is found and Post stops at a prompt which reads "Floppy drive
    failed. Hit F1 to continue or Del for setup" Great. But wait! The keyboard
    does not work! So, I cannot go beyond this point. I tried switching the
    cable on the floppy around (at both ends) but still with the same result,
    same with a different cable.
    I guess now I have to find another keyboard somewhere to move beyond this
    point. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

    news: XrZ_d.33410$N8.933583@news20.bellglobal.com...

    In article <dR0%d.33622$N8.970439@news20.bellglobal.com>, "G. Cossette"
    <ghislaine.cossette@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    > Here is an update for those who want to know:
    > It was actually the Corsair XMS 3700 ram causing the problem. I replaced it
    > with regular pc 3200 ram and it posted. Now, the Asus Voice tells me that No
    > floppy drive is found and Post stops at a prompt which reads "Floppy drive
    > failed. Hit F1 to continue or Del for setup" Great. But wait! The keyboard
    > does not work! So, I cannot go beyond this point. I tried switching the
    > cable on the floppy around (at both ends) but still with the same result,
    > same with a different cable.
    > I guess now I have to find another keyboard somewhere to move beyond this
    > point. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

    Both the keyboard and the floppy, interface to the Super I/O chip.
    The chip is located in the upper right hand corner of the motherboard.

    Maybe this chip is busted, or not soldered properly. Inspect it
    visually and see if it looks OK.

    If you want to read up on the chip, it will likely be on this page.
    Since new Asus motherboards no longer have the nice color picture
    in them, I cannot see what the part number is on the chip.

    Look in the I/O or Smart I/O section, for your Super I/O chip:
    http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/view.phtml?name=PCIC

    Now, a thought that comes to mind, is maybe a standoff is
    touching that chip or a wire associated with that chip.
    You might try assembling the board and components on a
    table top, and see if the system works any better.

    Paul

    > "G. Cossette" <ghislaine.cossette@sympatico.ca> a écrit dans le message de
    > news: XrZ_d.33410$N8.933583@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > > I`m hoping someone out there will be able to help me out.
    > > I have an A8V-E Dlx mobo, an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU, 2x 512 mb Corsair XMS
    > > 3700 ram, Antec True430 W power supply (on a 20 to 24 pins adaptor) and an
    > > Asus N6600 GT PCI-E video card.
    > > I have double checked all my connections and everything goes where it is
    > > supposed to go ( I hope!) . When I turn the power switch on, it powers up,
    > > all the fans come on and everything seems fine. But, no beeps, no screen
    > > image, no post reporter, NO POST!
    > > I have tried moving the ram around, and removing one stick at a time. The
    > > ram is fine since I was just using it with an A7N8X-E Dlx 2 days ago
    > > before I chose to upgrade.
    > > I am now wondering if the CPU could be the problem, or the video card?
    > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is getting very
    > > frustrating!
    > > Thanks in advance!

    Thanks for the great help Paul!
    Well, I located the Super I/o Chip and inspected it carefully. It looks
    fine. Also, nothing is even close to touching it. I gently hit it a few
    times (very lightly!!!) and turned the power on again to the same result.
    The most irritating part is that I cannot even access the BIOS... I guess
    then I was sold a faulty mobo. Just my luck... I will return it tomorrow and
    get a new one... What a pain... As it is always the case with Asus lately...
    Thank you again for your great help Paul!

    "G. Cossette" <ghislaine.cossette@sympatico.ca> a écrit dans le message de
    news: XrZ_d.33410$N8.933583@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > I`m hoping someone out there will be able to help me out.
    > I have an A8V-E Dlx mobo, an Athlon 64 3500+ CPU, 2x 512 mb Corsair XMS
    > 3700 ram, Antec True430 W power supply (on a 20 to 24 pins adaptor) and an
    > Asus N6600 GT PCI-E video card.
    > I have double checked all my connections and everything goes where it is
    > supposed to go ( I hope!) . When I turn the power switch on, it powers up,
    > all the fans come on and everything seems fine. But, no beeps, no screen
    > image, no post reporter, NO POST!
    > I have tried moving the ram around, and removing one stick at a time. The
    > ram is fine since I was just using it with an A7N8X-E Dlx 2 days ago
    > before I chose to upgrade.
    > I am now wondering if the CPU could be the problem, or the video card?
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is getting very
    > frustrating!
    > Thanks in advance!

Asus Motherboards