Stall at User Logon Welcome Screen in XP

August 16, 2004 10:31:15 AM

I just purchased a 200GB hard drive for my AMD XP 3000+.
After finally getting Windows XP to recognize its proper
size, I used Western Digital's Data Lifeguard to clone my
old 80GB hard drive to the new 200GB.

The copy took a LONG time, but everything copied fine, I
was able to check from my old hard drive. I disconnected
the old hard drive, reconnected my Zip drive (Slave), set
the new drive as Master.

The new drive booted up fine, the BIOS showed all drives
properly, and I got through the Windows XP screen with
the blue "pills" loading. However, when I reach the
light blue screen, the Welcome screen where you would
normally select your user name to log in, the process
stops. It is not frozen or locked up, but I have no user
names to click on to continue. Just a small Windows XP
logo in the center (the one that usually shifts to the
left when the names appear). Note: I do not normally use
the logon screen, it is set to log into my name by
default and go right to the desktop.

Why has the process stopeed here? A User data probelem
perhaps?
Anonymous
August 16, 2004 5:40:00 PM

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 06:31:15 -0700, "Joshua Moyer"

>I just purchased a 200GB hard drive for my AMD XP 3000+.
>After finally getting Windows XP to recognize its proper
>size, I used Western Digital's Data Lifeguard to clone my
>old 80GB hard drive to the new 200GB.
>
>The copy took a LONG time, but everything copied fine, I
>was able to check from my old hard drive. I disconnected
>the old hard drive, reconnected my Zip drive (Slave), set
>the new drive as Master.
>
>The new drive booted up fine, the BIOS showed all drives
>properly, and I got through the Windows XP screen with
>the blue "pills" loading. However, when I reach the
>light blue screen, the Welcome screen where you would
>normally select your user name to log in, the process
>stops. It is not frozen or locked up, but I have no user
>names to click on to continue. Just a small Windows XP
>logo in the center (the one that usually shifts to the
>left when the names appear). Note: I do not normally use
>the logon screen, it is set to log into my name by
>default and go right to the desktop.
>
>Why has the process stopeed here? A User data probelem
>perhaps?

Try it with the zip drive disconnected.

--
Michael Cecil