CD-RW / DVD not working

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

I'm having trouble with a laptop (Compaq Evo 1015v). The
CD-RW / DVD ROM will not read or write CD's but will run
DVD's OK. The odd thing is it does not give any error such
as disk not ready or whatever. In Explorer, opening the CD
drive shows a folder D which when you open gives another
subfolder D and so on, whatever disk I try. If I try
burning a CD it just tells me the disk is not the correct
format or the drive is not loaded. I have also tried
formatting the CD but get a message saying it is the wrong
type of media.

I have tried the following:
Running a cleaning disk - but the drive won't recognise it
and so can't play.
Tried updating the drivers and CD-burning software but no
updates available.
Have checked that the transfer mode settings in the IDE
controller is set to DMA (it wasn't but after a bit of
fiddling it is now but still no difference)
Tried disabling all startup progams in case something
might be interfering - again no joy.
Tried re-installing the Operating System (Windows XP) but
the disk will not read even from a re-boot.

Is there anything I've missed or could try or is it more
likely a hardware fault?

Thanks

Dave

There are two different lasers in a combo drive, one for the DVD side and
one for the CD side. It sounds like the CD laser has failed.
--
Cari ((MS-MVP Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com