No keyboard/mouse on win boot

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi group,

I have a WinXPpro machine that suddenly lost the mouse and keyboard after a
program update. I believe it to be a driver issue. I've tried a different
kbd/m in both PS/2 & USB, reset the BIOS to failsafe, tried a repair install
(which has a driver prompt that I can't respond to). The kbd/m did not
function in safe mode either however they work just fine until Windows
loads. Has anyone seen this before? I am about half thinking this might be
a system board.

Any input from the group would be greatly appreciated!

Bob

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If they work before Windows loads, it is a Windows problem. By
resetting the BIOS to failsafe, you may have actually done more damage
than good. I am going to assume that the keyboard works to enter the
BIOS at this point. Go in there and make sure that everything looks ok
with regards to allowing PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard and/or USB Keyboard/Mouse.
Finally, try using different ports for each of the keyboard and mice
and plugging them in individually. Some MB Makers are cheap and use a
real mouse PS/2 connector on the MB instead of 2 Keyboard PS/2 Connectors.

----
Nathan McNulty