A8N-SLI sound

Hi,

Getting desperate here and need some help.

I got a new PC with an Asus A8N-SLI board (Realtek ALC850 AC97 sound).
But I can't get any sound at all. Volume turned up and speakes
plugged-in, of course. Also enabled in BIOS.

First I installed the driver from the Asus CD. No sound. Then I
uninstalled that and let XP (Pro, SP2) install it via the "Found new
hardware" wizard. No sound. Uninstalled again, downloaded driver from
Realtek (wdm_a370.exe), installed. No sound.

I have no idea what to try now. Any ideas?

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about sound

    "Peer K" <fotopeer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Getting desperate here and need some help.
    >
    > I got a new PC with an Asus A8N-SLI board (Realtek ALC850 AC97 sound).
    > But I can't get any sound at all. Volume turned up and speakes
    > plugged-in, of course. Also enabled in BIOS.
    >
    > First I installed the driver from the Asus CD. No sound. Then I
    > uninstalled that and let XP (Pro, SP2) install it via the "Found new
    > hardware" wizard. No sound. Uninstalled again, downloaded driver from
    > Realtek (wdm_a370.exe), installed. No sound.
    >
    > I have no idea what to try now. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!

    when installed, does it show in device manager? if it does, check that you
    have the correct speaker configuration set in control panel, then check the
    volume controls for mute being checked. it may also be worth checking
    whether media player is muted.

    dr ratt

    dr ratt wrote:
    > when installed, does it show in device manager? if it does, check that you
    > have the correct speaker configuration set in control panel, then check the
    > volume controls for mute being checked. it may also be worth checking
    > whether media player is muted.

    Thanks for your reply. Tried that. Device manager looks okay, tried both
    speaker and headphones in speaker configuration and nothing is muted..
    But still no sound :-(

    > dr ratt wrote:
    > > when installed, does it show in device manager? if it does, check that
    you
    > > have the correct speaker configuration set in control panel, then check
    the
    > > volume controls for mute being checked. it may also be worth checking
    > > whether media player is muted.
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. Tried that. Device manager looks okay, tried both
    > speaker and headphones in speaker configuration and nothing is muted..
    > But still no sound :-(

    Check the FP_AUDIO jumpers. There should be a jumper placed across the
    pairs either side of the single pin. This will at least enable you
    eliminate faulty cabling down to the front panel.

    In article <423d8150$0$184$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>,
    fotopeer@gmail.com (Peer K) wrote:

    > *From:* Peer K <fotopeer@gmail.com>
    > *Date:* Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:57:38 +0100
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Getting desperate here and need some help.
    >
    > I got a new PC with an Asus A8N-SLI board (Realtek ALC850 AC97 sound).
    > But I can't get any sound at all. Volume turned up and speakes
    > plugged-in, of course. Also enabled in BIOS.
    >
    > First I installed the driver from the Asus CD. No sound. Then I
    > uninstalled that and let XP (Pro, SP2) install it via the "Found new
    > hardware" wizard. No sound. Uninstalled again, downloaded driver from
    > Realtek (wdm_a370.exe), installed. No sound.
    >
    > I have no idea what to try now. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!

    A very simple check - have you got the speakers in the right sockets? I
    say that 'cos my Creative speaker leads have different colour codes to the
    ALC850 on the A8V.

    John

    Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

    In article <423d8150$0$184$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>,
    fotopeer@gmail.com (Peer K) wrote:

    > *From:* Peer K <fotopeer@gmail.com>
    > *Date:* Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:57:38 +0100
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Getting desperate here and need some help.
    >
    > I got a new PC with an Asus A8N-SLI board (Realtek ALC850 AC97 sound).
    > But I can't get any sound at all. Volume turned up and speakes
    > plugged-in, of course. Also enabled in BIOS.
    >
    > First I installed the driver from the Asus CD. No sound. Then I
    > uninstalled that and let XP (Pro, SP2) install it via the "Found new
    > hardware" wizard. No sound. Uninstalled again, downloaded driver from
    > Realtek (wdm_a370.exe), installed. No sound.
    >
    > I have no idea what to try now. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!

    A very simple check - have you got the speakers in the right sockets? I
    say that 'cos my Creative speaker leads have different colour codes to the
    ALC850 on the A8V.

    John

    Please remove "NO-SPAM" if sending email.

Asus Realtek SLI Motherboards