DVD Drive disappeared

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I just added a hard disk to my PC and the DVD drive disappeared from
Windows, although not from the BIOS.

I had

IDE1
-----
Master: Hard Disk
Slave: Hard Disk

IDE2
------
Master: DVD drive

and all was fine.

I changed IDE2 to:
Master: DVD drive
Slave: New hard disk.

The hard disk appears as drive E: under XP, but the DVD drive has
disappeared.

Does anyone have any idea what caused this and how to fix it?

Many thanks
7 answers Last reply
More about drive disappeared
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Does the DVD show in disk management?

    It may not have a letter assigned.

    "Andrew Chalk" <achalk@XXXmagnacartasoftware.com> wrote in message
    >I just added a hard disk to my PC and the DVD drive disappeared from
    > Windows, although not from the BIOS.
    >
    > I had
    >
    > IDE1
    > -----
    > Master: Hard Disk
    > Slave: Hard Disk
    >
    > IDE2
    > ------
    > Master: DVD drive
    >
    > and all was fine.
    >
    > I changed IDE2 to:
    > Master: DVD drive
    > Slave: New hard disk.
    >
    > The hard disk appears as drive E: under XP, but the DVD drive has
    > disappeared.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what caused this and how to fix it?
    >
    > Many thanks

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    No it does not.

    "Resonate" <resonate@jolt.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Does the DVD show in disk management?
    >
    > It may not have a letter assigned.
    >

    > "Andrew Chalk" <achalk@XXXmagnacartasoftware.com> wrote in message
    > >I just added a hard disk to my PC and the DVD drive disappeared from
    > > Windows, although not from the BIOS.
    > >
    > > I had
    > >
    > > IDE1
    > > -----
    > > Master: Hard Disk
    > > Slave: Hard Disk
    > >
    > > IDE2
    > > ------
    > > Master: DVD drive
    > >
    > > and all was fine.
    > >
    > > I changed IDE2 to:
    > > Master: DVD drive
    > > Slave: New hard disk.
    > >
    > > The hard disk appears as drive E: under XP, but the DVD drive has
    > > disappeared.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any idea what caused this and how to fix it?
    > >
    > > Many thanks

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Andrew Chalk wrote:

    > I just added a hard disk to my PC and the DVD drive disappeared from
    > Windows, although not from the BIOS.
    >
    > I had
    >
    > IDE1
    > -----
    > Master: Hard Disk
    > Slave: Hard Disk
    >
    > IDE2
    > ------
    > Master: DVD drive
    >
    > and all was fine.
    >
    > I changed IDE2 to:
    > Master: DVD drive
    > Slave: New hard disk.
    >
    > The hard disk appears as drive E: under XP, but the DVD drive has
    > disappeared.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what caused this and how to fix it?
    >
    > Many thanks

    In general you shouldn't put a hard drive as slave on a secondary
    channel with an optical drive as Master.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Any combination of Master/Slave/CS has the same effect. The hard drive
    appears but the DVD drive does not.

    "Rock" <rock@comcast.nospam.net> wrote in message
    > Andrew Chalk wrote:
    >
    > > I just added a hard disk to my PC and the DVD drive disappeared from
    > > Windows, although not from the BIOS.
    > >
    > > I had
    > >
    > > IDE1
    > > -----
    > > Master: Hard Disk
    > > Slave: Hard Disk
    > >
    > > IDE2
    > > ------
    > > Master: DVD drive
    > >
    > > and all was fine.
    > >
    > > I changed IDE2 to:
    > > Master: DVD drive
    > > Slave: New hard disk.
    > >
    > > The hard disk appears as drive E: under XP, but the DVD drive has
    > > disappeared.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have any idea what caused this and how to fix it?
    > >
    > > Many thanks
    > >

    > In general you shouldn't put a hard drive as slave on a secondary
    > channel with an optical drive as Master.

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Does the DVD Drive appear in the BIOS or POST when you first power on
    the computer? If it does not show up there, it is a dead DVD Drive.
    Also, double check the power and jumpers and cables again to make sure
    they are all correctly and snugly connected. Have you recently tried to
    flash the firmware of the drive?

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    Andrew Chalk wrote:
    > Any combination of Master/Slave/CS has the same effect. The hard drive
    > appears but the DVD drive does not.
    >

    > "Rock" <rock@comcast.nospam.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Andrew Chalk wrote:
    >>

    >>>I just added a hard disk to my PC and the DVD drive disappeared from
    >>>Windows, although not from the BIOS.
    >>>
    >>>I had
    >>>
    >>>IDE1
    >>>-----
    >>>Master: Hard Disk
    >>>Slave: Hard Disk
    >>>
    >>>IDE2
    >>>------
    >>>Master: DVD drive
    >>>
    >>>and all was fine.
    >>>
    >>>I changed IDE2 to:
    >>>Master: DVD drive
    >>>Slave: New hard disk.
    >>>
    >>>The hard disk appears as drive E: under XP, but the DVD drive has
    >>>disappeared.
    >>>
    >>>Does anyone have any idea what caused this and how to fix it?
    >>>
    >>>Many thanks
    >>>

    >>In general you shouldn't put a hard drive as slave on a secondary
    >>channel with an optical drive as Master.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Found it!

    This may be useful to others:

    Windows configured the secondary IDE device to use DMA. I set it to use PIO
    only and Windows recognized the drive.

    - Andrew

    "Andrew Chalk" <achalk@XXXmagnacartasoftware.com> wrote in message
    > I just added a hard disk to my PC and the DVD drive disappeared from
    > Windows, although not from the BIOS.
    >
    > I had
    >
    > IDE1
    > -----
    > Master: Hard Disk
    > Slave: Hard Disk
    >
    > IDE2
    > ------
    > Master: DVD drive
    >
    > and all was fine.
    >
    > I changed IDE2 to:
    > Master: DVD drive
    > Slave: New hard disk.
    >
    > The hard disk appears as drive E: under XP, but the DVD drive has
    > disappeared.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what caused this and how to fix it?
    >
    > Many thanks

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Generally, harddisk should be set to master with the optical drives set to
    slave.
    So in your case have you tried setting it the other way around for your
    IDE2? With your hd as Master in IDE2 and the DVD drive
    as slave. I also assume that you've set the drives' jumpers correctly. One
    as master and the other as slave.
    Who knows perhaps you might get that DMA back.

    > Found it!
    >
    > This may be useful to others:
    >
    > Windows configured the secondary IDE device to use DMA. I set it to use
    > PIO
    > only and Windows recognized the drive.
    >
    > - Andrew
    >
    > "Andrew Chalk" <achalk@XXXmagnacartasoftware.com> wrote in message
    >> I just added a hard disk to my PC and the DVD drive disappeared from
    >> Windows, although not from the BIOS.
    >>
    >> I had
    >>
    >> IDE1
    >> -----
    >> Master: Hard Disk
    >> Slave: Hard Disk
    >>
    >> IDE2
    >> ------
    >> Master: DVD drive
    >>
    >> and all was fine.
    >>
    >> I changed IDE2 to:
    >> Master: DVD drive
    >> Slave: New hard disk.
    >>
    >> The hard disk appears as drive E: under XP, but the DVD drive has
    >> disappeared.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any idea what caused this and how to fix it?
    >>
    >> Many thanks

DVD Drives Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP