Wireless Homenetwork Mayhem

Recenty installed Linksys wireless-g router onto my desktop and Lynksys
wireless-g notebook adapter onto each of my laptops. Worked fine with all 3
computers finding my adsl net link without problem. Then decided to network
the 3 together as a small home network arrangement. Disaster. Don't know
where I've gone wrong but cannot un-tangle the whole mess. Nothing works
correctly. My desktop was the host server for the arrangement but now all I
want to do is remove the original mess and start again. But where do I start?
Nothing seems to want to delete or unscramble. Any suggestions welcome please.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
Hi

The Linksys Router has to be connected to the Internet modem through the WAN
port.

Each Wired computer should be plugged with a CAT5e into a regular port on
the Router.

The Wireless has to be configured between the Laptop and the Router.

The whole thing should look like this:
http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

Then Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows
Network Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html

Concerning the Wireless aspect.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recenty installed Linksys wireless-g router onto my desktop and Lynksys
> wireless-g notebook adapter onto each of my laptops. Worked fine with all
3
> computers finding my adsl net link without problem. Then decided to
network
> the 3 together as a small home network arrangement. Disaster. Don't know
> where I've gone wrong but cannot un-tangle the whole mess. Nothing works
> correctly. My desktop was the host server for the arrangement but now all
> want to do is remove the original mess and start again. But where do I
start?
> Nothing seems to want to delete or unscramble. Any suggestions welcome
please.

Thanks Jack, I'll follow the leads you've thrown me and see if it clears the
mist!
I'm a bit lost on your terminology concerning connections through the WAN
port and a CAT5e has me mystified. Sorry but thanks all the same. Maybe you
could enlighten me if you get a spare minute.

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
> Hi
>
> The Linksys Router has to be connected to the Internet modem through the WAN
> port.
>
> Each Wired computer should be plugged with a CAT5e into a regular port on
> the Router.
>
> The Wireless has to be configured between the Laptop and the Router.
>
> The whole thing should look like this:
> http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg
>
> Then Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows
> Network Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
>
> Concerning the Wireless aspect.

> Wireless - Basic Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recenty installed Linksys wireless-g router onto my desktop and Lynksys
> > wireless-g notebook adapter onto each of my laptops. Worked fine with all
> 3
> > computers finding my adsl net link without problem. Then decided to
> network
> > the 3 together as a small home network arrangement. Disaster. Don't know
> > where I've gone wrong but cannot un-tangle the whole mess. Nothing works
> > correctly. My desktop was the host server for the arrangement but now all
> > want to do is remove the original mess and start again. But where do I
> start?
> > Nothing seems to want to delete or unscramble. Any suggestions welcome
> please.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

what you are saying doesn't make sense... try again.

did you install a wireless router connected to your adsl line directly? or
does the adsl line go into your desktop and then you have a nic that
connects to the router and you are using ics to share the dsl line??

now, what do you mean that nothing wants to delete?? what are you trying to
delete? and what are you trying to unscramble??

"Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recenty installed Linksys wireless-g router onto my desktop and Lynksys
> wireless-g notebook adapter onto each of my laptops. Worked fine with all
3
> computers finding my adsl net link without problem. Then decided to
network
> the 3 together as a small home network arrangement. Disaster. Don't know
> where I've gone wrong but cannot un-tangle the whole mess. Nothing works
> correctly. My desktop was the host server for the arrangement but now all
> want to do is remove the original mess and start again. But where do I
start?
> Nothing seems to want to delete or unscramble. Any suggestions welcome
please.

Hi Dave, thanks for your interest.....got u confused 2 ! connected wireless
router directly to adsl line. laptops then using wireless notebook adaptor to
access internet via same wireless router. Difficult to explain but everything
on desktop pc to do with networking is virtually inoperable or painfully slow
to respond. One of my laptops was so bad I've just re-formatted the harddisk
and reinstalled everything including XP pro to start again. That's now
working properly but my "host" desktop is the problem. I just want to start
from the beginning again with the desktop by removing all configurations,
etc., involving networks, workgroups, and the rest but it just will not let
me! I bet you're really confused now! Sorry

"Dave" wrote:

> what you are saying doesn't make sense... try again.
>
> did you install a wireless router connected to your adsl line directly? or
> does the adsl line go into your desktop and then you have a nic that
> connects to the router and you are using ics to share the dsl line??
>
> now, what do you mean that nothing wants to delete?? what are you trying to
> delete? and what are you trying to unscramble??
>
> "Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recenty installed Linksys wireless-g router onto my desktop and Lynksys
> > wireless-g notebook adapter onto each of my laptops. Worked fine with all
> 3
> > computers finding my adsl net link without problem. Then decided to
> network
> > the 3 together as a small home network arrangement. Disaster. Don't know
> > where I've gone wrong but cannot un-tangle the whole mess. Nothing works
> > correctly. My desktop was the host server for the arrangement but now all
> > want to do is remove the original mess and start again. But where do I
> start?
> > Nothing seems to want to delete or unscramble. Any suggestions welcome
> please.

Why are you using a desktop as a "HOST"??? Are you running it as some sort
of server?

The router itself connected into your DSL modem will rout all your
connections to make a network. Is the desktop connected into the router via
ethernet cable? or does it have a wireless adapter also? Your desktop really
has nothing to do with your laptops connecting to the internet via the
roter.

> Hi Dave, thanks for your interest.....got u confused 2 ! connected
> wireless
> router directly to adsl line. laptops then using wireless notebook adaptor
> access internet via same wireless router. Difficult to explain but
> everything
> on desktop pc to do with networking is virtually inoperable or painfully
> slow
> to respond. One of my laptops was so bad I've just re-formatted the
> harddisk
> and reinstalled everything including XP pro to start again. That's now
> working properly but my "host" desktop is the problem. I just want to
> start
> from the beginning again with the desktop by removing all configurations,
> etc., involving networks, workgroups, and the rest but it just will not
> let
> me! I bet you're really confused now! Sorry
>

> "Dave" wrote:
>
>> what you are saying doesn't make sense... try again.
>>
>> did you install a wireless router connected to your adsl line directly?
>> or
>> does the adsl line go into your desktop and then you have a nic that
>> connects to the router and you are using ics to share the dsl line??
>>
>> now, what do you mean that nothing wants to delete?? what are you trying
>> delete? and what are you trying to unscramble??
>>
>> "Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Recenty installed Linksys wireless-g router onto my desktop and Lynksys
>> > wireless-g notebook adapter onto each of my laptops. Worked fine with
>> > all
>> 3
>> > computers finding my adsl net link without problem. Then decided to
>> network
>> > the 3 together as a small home network arrangement. Disaster. Don't
>> > know
>> > where I've gone wrong but cannot un-tangle the whole mess. Nothing
>> > works
>> > correctly. My desktop was the host server for the arrangement but now
>> > all
>> > want to do is remove the original mess and start again. But where do I
>> start?
>> > Nothing seems to want to delete or unscramble. Any suggestions welcome
>> please.

Hi Robert, thanks for your interest...Yes, I'm using the desktop as a server
"Host" and it is connected to my router via ethernet cable. I know the
desktop has no influence on my client laptops connecting to the internet but
my problem no lies in trying to undo certain networking configurations I
previously set up on my desktop. I have an errant workgroup I want to get rid
of but it simply refuses to be deleted, amended, etc. Makes no sense I know
but something is restricting what I thought would be a simple process. I have
administrator privaledges so that's not the problem. The desktop is now
running very slowly and occassionally applications are freezing which has
never happened before......and of course, I still cannot simply network the
laptops to it to access various files as I intended (they are checked for
sharing). I just need to roll time back to when I began and start from
scratch.....but I can't!

"Robert Jacobs" wrote:

> Why are you using a desktop as a "HOST"??? Are you running it as some sort
> of server?
>
> The router itself connected into your DSL modem will rout all your
> connections to make a network. Is the desktop connected into the router via
> ethernet cable? or does it have a wireless adapter also? Your desktop really
> has nothing to do with your laptops connecting to the internet via the
> roter.
>

> "Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Dave, thanks for your interest.....got u confused 2 ! connected
> > wireless
> > router directly to adsl line. laptops then using wireless notebook adaptor
> > access internet via same wireless router. Difficult to explain but
> > everything
> > on desktop pc to do with networking is virtually inoperable or painfully
> > slow
> > to respond. One of my laptops was so bad I've just re-formatted the
> > harddisk
> > and reinstalled everything including XP pro to start again. That's now
> > working properly but my "host" desktop is the problem. I just want to
> > start
> > from the beginning again with the desktop by removing all configurations,
> > etc., involving networks, workgroups, and the rest but it just will not
> > let
> > me! I bet you're really confused now! Sorry
> >

> > "Dave" wrote:
> >
> >> what you are saying doesn't make sense... try again.
> >>
> >> did you install a wireless router connected to your adsl line directly?
> >> or
> >> does the adsl line go into your desktop and then you have a nic that
> >> connects to the router and you are using ics to share the dsl line??
> >>
> >> now, what do you mean that nothing wants to delete?? what are you trying
> >> delete? and what are you trying to unscramble??
> >>
> >> "Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> 3
> >> network
> >> start?
> >> please.

Hi Phil,

You might try going in to control panel -> system ->
hardware devices, finding the LAN adapter, uninstall it,
then reboot and allow windows to re-find and install with
from scratch.

next step is to get back into control panel -> system ->
general and go through the change computer name/workgroup
but re-do it to the same computer and workgroup name.

This should overwrite all previous network settings and
give you a fresh start. I have provided the above from
memory and may not be 100% correct with names/locations
but it should be close to the mark.

You may also wish to do this with the LAN/Router cable
disconnected from the back of your PC for a few mins to
see if the slowness problem disappears. If not, you
probably have a second problem to contend with.

Good luck.

Mags

Ok, lets see if i have this correct.
1. you have your DSL modem connected to a wireless router.
2. your desktop is connected to the router via ethernet cable
3. your laptops are connected to the router via a wireless connection
4. you want to share Internet between the 3 computers
5. you want to network the 3 computers together in order to share files and
maybe print services.

Is this all correct?

Also, why are you using your desktop as a Server? Are you hosting an FTP
file server or a web site?

Are all 3 computers running XP SP2? Are they all on the same workgroup? Do
they all have unique computer names?

Are you running any firewall software? Special Server software? Proxies?
anything at all that is trying to use your network to do something?

What type of router do you have? (Maker and model#)

Ill be awaiting this info.

> Hi Robert, thanks for your interest...Yes, I'm using the desktop as a
> server
> "Host" and it is connected to my router via ethernet cable. I know the
> desktop has no influence on my client laptops connecting to the internet
> but
> my problem no lies in trying to undo certain networking configurations I
> previously set up on my desktop. I have an errant workgroup I want to get
> rid
> of but it simply refuses to be deleted, amended, etc. Makes no sense I
> know
> but something is restricting what I thought would be a simple process. I
> have
> administrator privaledges so that's not the problem. The desktop is now
> running very slowly and occassionally applications are freezing which has
> never happened before......and of course, I still cannot simply network
> the
> laptops to it to access various files as I intended (they are checked for
> sharing). I just need to roll time back to when I began and start from
> scratch.....but I can't!
>
> "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
>
>> Why are you using a desktop as a "HOST"??? Are you running it as some
>> sort
>> of server?
>>
>> The router itself connected into your DSL modem will rout all your
>> connections to make a network. Is the desktop connected into the router
>> via
>> ethernet cable? or does it have a wireless adapter also? Your desktop
>> really
>> has nothing to do with your laptops connecting to the internet via the
>> roter.
>>

>> "Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Dave, thanks for your interest.....got u confused 2 ! connected
>> > wireless
>> > router directly to adsl line. laptops then using wireless notebook
>> > adaptor
>> > access internet via same wireless router. Difficult to explain but
>> > everything
>> > on desktop pc to do with networking is virtually inoperable or
>> > painfully
>> > slow
>> > to respond. One of my laptops was so bad I've just re-formatted the
>> > harddisk
>> > and reinstalled everything including XP pro to start again. That's now
>> > working properly but my "host" desktop is the problem. I just want to
>> > start
>> > from the beginning again with the desktop by removing all
>> > configurations,
>> > etc., involving networks, workgroups, and the rest but it just will not
>> > let
>> > me! I bet you're really confused now! Sorry

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
Since I do not know how you connected your system I wanted to make sure that
it is connected correctly.

The Internet Modem has to be connected to one specific port on the Router
this port is called in general the WAN port look at you Router manual to ID
it if it has another name.

CAT5e is the formal name of the Network Cables.

If all of your computers are connected Wirelessly to your Router you should
make an arrangement to connect at least one computer with a cable (Not
Wirelessly) to the Router. You might need to configure that Router and if
the Wireless connection does not work you can not configure the Router.
Connecting a computer to the Router with a cable would provide you with
access to the Router in order to set the correct initial configuration.

> Thanks Jack, I'll follow the leads you've thrown me and see if it clears
the
> mist!
> I'm a bit lost on your terminology concerning connections through the WAN
> port and a CAT5e has me mystified. Sorry but thanks all the same. Maybe
you
> could enlighten me if you get a spare minute.
>
> "Jack" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> > Hi
> >
> > The Linksys Router has to be connected to the Internet modem through the
WAN
> > port.
> >
> > Each Wired computer should be plugged with a CAT5e into a regular port
on
> > the Router.
> >
> > The Wireless has to be configured between the Laptop and the Router.
> >
> > The whole thing should look like this:
> > http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg
> >
> > Then Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows
> > Network Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
> >
> > Concerning the Wireless aspect.
> >
> > Wireless - Basic Configuration:
> >
> > Wireless - Basic Security: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html
> >
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Recenty installed Linksys wireless-g router onto my desktop and
Lynksys
> > > wireless-g notebook adapter onto each of my laptops. Worked fine with
all
> > 3
> > > computers finding my adsl net link without problem. Then decided to
> > network
> > > the 3 together as a small home network arrangement. Disaster. Don't
know
> > > where I've gone wrong but cannot un-tangle the whole mess. Nothing
works
> > > correctly. My desktop was the host server for the arrangement but now
all
> > > want to do is remove the original mess and start again. But where do I
> > start?
> > > Nothing seems to want to delete or unscramble. Any suggestions welcome
> > please.

Thanks Mags.....I'll give it a try....I'll post success if and when, if you
know what I mean.

"Mags" wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> You might try going in to control panel -> system ->
> hardware devices, finding the LAN adapter, uninstall it,
> then reboot and allow windows to re-find and install with
> from scratch.
>
> next step is to get back into control panel -> system ->
> general and go through the change computer name/workgroup
> but re-do it to the same computer and workgroup name.
>
> This should overwrite all previous network settings and
> give you a fresh start. I have provided the above from
> memory and may not be 100% correct with names/locations
> but it should be close to the mark.
>
> You may also wish to do this with the LAN/Router cable
> disconnected from the back of your PC for a few mins to
> see if the slowness problem disappears. If not, you
> probably have a second problem to contend with.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Mags

Jack, Robert Jacobs, Dave, Mags....A big thank you for help and
expertise...I'm sorted! Now the truth and you won't like this after all your
help. I left my Norton Firewall active on the desktop (host) pc without
configuring it to allow the IP addresses of the laptops access. Consequently,
I spent hours tweaking this and that until I created the resultant mayhem on
all three computers. With the resultant info you guys sent me I am now
Southern Spain's leading home-network expert.
Sorry for being so stupid. I clicked onto the problem via one of the links
that Jack put me onto. My face changed to the same deep colour as my ethernet
cable that connects my desktop to the wireless router.
Many, many thanks
Phil.
What a great forum. I can't believe the expertise out there.

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi
> Since I do not know how you connected your system I wanted to make sure that
> it is connected correctly.
>
> The Internet Modem has to be connected to one specific port on the Router
> this port is called in general the WAN port look at you Router manual to ID
> it if it has another name.
>
> CAT5e is the formal name of the Network Cables.
>
> If all of your computers are connected Wirelessly to your Router you should
> make an arrangement to connect at least one computer with a cable (Not
> Wirelessly) to the Router. You might need to configure that Router and if
> the Wireless connection does not work you can not configure the Router.
> Connecting a computer to the Router with a cable would provide you with
> access to the Router in order to set the correct initial configuration.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Jack, I'll follow the leads you've thrown me and see if it clears
> the
> > mist!
> > I'm a bit lost on your terminology concerning connections through the WAN
> > port and a CAT5e has me mystified. Sorry but thanks all the same. Maybe
> you
> > could enlighten me if you get a spare minute.
> >
> > "Jack" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > The Linksys Router has to be connected to the Internet modem through the
> WAN
> > > port.
> > >
> > > Each Wired computer should be plugged with a CAT5e into a regular port
> on
> > > the Router.
> > >
> > > The Wireless has to be configured between the Laptop and the Router.
> > >
> > > The whole thing should look like this:
> > > http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg
> > >
> > > Then Log to this page it has a lot of links to instructions to Windows
> > > Network Settings, and Sharing: http://www.ezlan.net/Installing.html
> > >
> > > Concerning the Wireless aspect.
> > >
> > > Wireless - Basic Configuration:
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html