Microphone Static Buzzing

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2005 10:20:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi all,

First of all, I apologize for the cross-post, but I think it's necessary.
Anywho, I have an ASUS P4S800 with the SiS 648FX Chipset. My question is,
when I play Counter Strike Source, and go to test the microphone, I will
hear the sound from the speakers, but also I will hear a static type sound
in the background. I don't know how to fix this, whether it's a Windows
setting, or a setting in the ASUS BIOS (revision 1009), or a hardware
problem. I followed the manual when I assembled the front panel audio, and
checked with it all seeming correct. I am now baffled and don't know where
to go. Any help is greatly aprecciated.

Thanks,

Neil
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2005 10:20:23 PM

Neil Barras wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all, I apologize for the cross-post, but I think it's
> necessary. Anywho, I have an ASUS P4S800 with the SiS 648FX Chipset. My
> question is, when I play Counter Strike Source, and go to test the
> microphone, I will hear the sound from the speakers, but also I will
> hear a static type sound in the background. I don't know how to fix
> this, whether it's a Windows setting, or a setting in the ASUS BIOS
> (revision 1009), or a hardware problem. I followed the manual when I
> assembled the front panel audio, and checked with it all seeming
> correct. I am now baffled and don't know where to go. Any help is
> greatly aprecciated.

Your sound card drive have a Microphone Booster?
Turn it off and turn the recording volume on your Microphone down.

--
<- Shenan ->
a b V Motherboard

> Neil Barras wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First of all, I apologize for the cross-post, but I think it's
>> necessary. Anywho, I have an ASUS P4S800 with the SiS 648FX Chipset. My
>> question is, when I play Counter Strike Source, and go to test the
>> microphone, I will hear the sound from the speakers, but also I will
>> hear a static type sound in the background. I don't know how to fix
>> this, whether it's a Windows setting, or a setting in the ASUS BIOS
>> (revision 1009), or a hardware problem. I followed the manual when I
>> assembled the front panel audio, and checked with it all seeming
>> correct. I am now baffled and don't know where to go. Any help is
>> greatly aprecciated.
>
> Your sound card drive have a Microphone Booster?
> Turn it off and turn the recording volume on your Microphone down.
>
> --
> <- Shenan ->

Hi Shenan,

I turned the Microphone boost in Windows off, and the volume of the Mic
down, but it hasn't helped. Anything else I could try?

Thanks,

Neil
Related resources
March 20, 2005 11:34:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <Y6l%d.1288$gL2.354@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net>, "Neil Barras"
<dontspamme@spammenot.com> wrote:

> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Neil Barras wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> First of all, I apologize for the cross-post, but I think it's
> >> necessary. Anywho, I have an ASUS P4S800 with the SiS 648FX Chipset. My
> >> question is, when I play Counter Strike Source, and go to test the
> >> microphone, I will hear the sound from the speakers, but also I will
> >> hear a static type sound in the background. I don't know how to fix
> >> this, whether it's a Windows setting, or a setting in the ASUS BIOS
> >> (revision 1009), or a hardware problem. I followed the manual when I
> >> assembled the front panel audio, and checked with it all seeming
> >> correct. I am now baffled and don't know where to go. Any help is
> >> greatly aprecciated.
> >
> > Your sound card drive have a Microphone Booster?
> > Turn it off and turn the recording volume on your Microphone down.
> >
> > --
> > <- Shenan ->
> > --
> > The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
> > yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
> > responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
> > getting into before you jump in with both feet.
> >

> Hi Shenan,
>
> I turned the Microphone boost in Windows off, and the volume of the Mic
> down, but it hasn't helped. Anything else I could try?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

There are 1700 hits in Google, on the search terms
"counterstrike" and "static". Those users cannot all be
using P4S800 boards, so perhaps there are some other
reasons. The first posting I read, suggested the audio
system is running out of dynamic range, and that is
one source of static sound.

If you wish to test the hardware, use an audio recording
application while outside of Counter Strike. If you hear
the same sounds you hear now, then you know it is the fault
of the hardware. If not, then it is a Counter Strike problem.
Muting unused audio ports is about the only way to reduce
motherboard noise problems, as well as unplugging the
CD audio cable "antenna".

HTH,
Paul
March 21, 2005 2:07:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Sound like a ground is bad.
Make sure all plugs are seated.

FastFrank
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2005 3:31:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Disable onboard audio and install a sound card. Easy peasy.

--
Jonah
"Neil Barras" <dontspamme@spammenot.com> wrote in message

> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Neil Barras wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> First of all, I apologize for the cross-post, but I think it's
>>> necessary. Anywho, I have an ASUS P4S800 with the SiS 648FX Chipset. My
>>> question is, when I play Counter Strike Source, and go to test the
>>> microphone, I will hear the sound from the speakers, but also I will
>>> hear a static type sound in the background. I don't know how to fix
>>> this, whether it's a Windows setting, or a setting in the ASUS BIOS
>>> (revision 1009), or a hardware problem. I followed the manual when I
>>> assembled the front panel audio, and checked with it all seeming
>>> correct. I am now baffled and don't know where to go. Any help is
>>> greatly aprecciated.
>>
>> Your sound card drive have a Microphone Booster?
>> Turn it off and turn the recording volume on your Microphone down.
>>
>> --
>> <- Shenan ->
>> --
>> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
>> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
>> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
>> getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>>

> Hi Shenan,
>
> I turned the Microphone boost in Windows off, and the volume of the Mic
> down, but it hasn't helped. Anything else I could try?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2005 7:26:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Thanks for all your suggestions...I updated the sound driver, and I still
had static in the microphone test playback in Counter Strike. I then went
and recorded a short test wav file and played that back, WITHOUT static in
the background. Does this indicate its a problem in Counter Strike?

Thanks for all solutions,

Neil

"Sleepless in Seattle" <jonah@guest.com> wrote in message
> Disable onboard audio and install a sound card. Easy peasy.
>
> --
> Jonah
> "Neil Barras" <dontspamme@spammenot.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Your sound card drive have a Microphone Booster?
>>> Turn it off and turn the recording volume on your Microphone down.
>>>
>>> --
>>> <- Shenan ->
>>> --
>>> The information is provided "as is", it is suggested you research for
>>> yourself before you take any advice - you are the one ultimately
>>> responsible for your actions/problems/solutions. Know what you are
>>> getting into before you jump in with both feet.
>>>

>> Hi Shenan,
>>
>> I turned the Microphone boost in Windows off, and the volume of the Mic
>> down, but it hasn't helped. Anything else I could try?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Neil

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2005 10:43:44 PM

Neil Barras wrote:
> Thanks for all your suggestions...I updated the sound driver, and I
> still had static in the microphone test playback in Counter Strike. I then
> went and recorded a short test wav file and played that back,
> WITHOUT static in the background.
> Does this indicate its a problem in Counter Strike?

Yes.

--
<- Shenan ->
a b V Motherboard

Neil Barras wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> First of all, I apologize for the cross-post, but I think it's necessary.
> Anywho, I have an ASUS P4S800 with the SiS 648FX Chipset. My question is,
> when I play Counter Strike Source, and go to test the microphone, I will
> hear the sound from the speakers, but also I will hear a static type sound
> in the background. I don't know how to fix this, whether it's a Windows
> setting, or a setting in the ASUS BIOS (revision 1009), or a hardware
> problem. I followed the manual when I assembled the front panel audio, and
> checked with it all seeming correct. I am now baffled and don't know where
> to go. Any help is greatly aprecciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

Is this a USB mic?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2005 12:52:01 AM

"Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> Neil Barras wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First of all, I apologize for the cross-post, but I think it's necessary.
>> Anywho, I have an ASUS P4S800 with the SiS 648FX Chipset. My question
>> is,
>> when I play Counter Strike Source, and go to test the microphone, I will
>> hear the sound from the speakers, but also I will hear a static type
>> sound
>> in the background. I don't know how to fix this, whether it's a Windows
>> setting, or a setting in the ASUS BIOS (revision 1009), or a hardware
>> problem. I followed the manual when I assembled the front panel audio,
>> and
>> checked with it all seeming correct. I am now baffled and don't know
>> where
>> to go. Any help is greatly aprecciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Neil
>
> Is this a USB mic?

No, its the original 3mm headset with one jack for headphones and one for
the mic made by Logitech.
!