A7N8X-e MoBo - SATA install problems with clean XP

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Windows XP
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2005 11:28:02 PM

Hi folks....need some help please.

I have an ASUS A7N8X-e MoBo which has happily been running XP on an
IDE drive.

I am now trying to do a fresh XP install onto a new Seagate 160Gb SATA
drive (no IDE drives installed, but have hit problems....

When prompted during the XP install, I press F6 and load the SIi3112
drivers from a floppy, which the XP installer accepts and continues
running, until it has finished the driver install and starts trying to
write to disk. At this point the install freezes and eventually gives
me a BSOD with a fatal error warning.

Has anyone installed a fresh XP onto a single SATA drive on this MoBo
and can tell me what I have missed, or maybe what BIOS settings I
need?

Thanks in advance

Danny

More about : a7n8x mobo sata install problems clean

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2005 2:29:28 AM

Are you sure you have the right drivers? The other only thing you can do is
to slipstream the drivers onto a WinXP installation CD. This is exactly
what I did. I have an ASUS A7N8X-e Deluxe with a Western Digital Raptor
SATA hard drive. I never bothered with the floppy disk as I no longer have
a FDD.
<flibble@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks....need some help please.
>
> I have an ASUS A7N8X-e MoBo which has happily been running XP on an
> IDE drive.
>
> I am now trying to do a fresh XP install onto a new Seagate 160Gb SATA
> drive (no IDE drives installed, but have hit problems....
>
> When prompted during the XP install, I press F6 and load the SIi3112
> drivers from a floppy, which the XP installer accepts and continues
> running, until it has finished the driver install and starts trying to
> write to disk. At this point the install freezes and eventually gives
> me a BSOD with a fatal error warning.
>
> Has anyone installed a fresh XP onto a single SATA drive on this MoBo
> and can tell me what I have missed, or maybe what BIOS settings I
> need?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Danny

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2005 10:35:29 PM

Nocturnal wrote:
> Are you sure you have the right drivers? The other only thing you can do is
> to slipstream the drivers onto a WinXP installation CD. This is exactly
> what I did. I have an ASUS A7N8X-e Deluxe with a Western Digital Raptor
> SATA hard drive. I never bothered with the floppy disk as I no longer have
> a FDD.

Yes, I'd reiterate that:

Make sure you have the RAID drivers. (linked from the page in my sig)

Make sure you select XP/2003, NOT 2000.

Ben
a b V Motherboard
March 21, 2005 11:16:15 PM

Thanks for the answers gents

I used both the drivers from the MoBo CD (just copied onto a floppy as
I could not find a 'create install disk' utility on the CD) and also a
set from the ASUS support site. The set from ASUS install onto 2
floppies, but I cannot force XP to ask for the 2nd disk. The floppy
from the MoBo CD are detected by XP as the correct drivers, but still
the system freezes at the stage where it stops loading drivers to
RAMDRIVE and should start writing to HD.

The Slipstream method is an interesting idea, but I have only tried
this once before and it failed big time (although that was adding SP1
to a basic XP install).

I am not trying to run RAID as I only have a single disk. I wonder if
I have missed a BIOS setting somewhere. Can either of you please tell
me any BIOS changes you made when switching from IDE to SATA.

Thanks again for your help and time

Danny

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 19:35:29 +0000, Ben Pope
<benpope81@_REMOVE_gmail.com> wrote:

>Nocturnal wrote:
>> Are you sure you have the right drivers? The other only thing you can do is
>> to slipstream the drivers onto a WinXP installation CD. This is exactly
>> what I did. I have an ASUS A7N8X-e Deluxe with a Western Digital Raptor
>> SATA hard drive. I never bothered with the floppy disk as I no longer have
>> a FDD.
>
>Yes, I'd reiterate that:
>
>Make sure you have the RAID drivers. (linked from the page in my sig)
>
>Make sure you select XP/2003, NOT 2000.
>
>Ben
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2005 6:11:28 AM

When I enabled the disk I made sure to have it boot from SCSI as that is
what the SATA essentially is to the motherboard (yes I know it really isn't
SCSI but to the mobo it acts like it's the same thing).
<flibble@aol.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks....need some help please.
>
> I have an ASUS A7N8X-e MoBo which has happily been running XP on an
> IDE drive.
>
> I am now trying to do a fresh XP install onto a new Seagate 160Gb SATA
> drive (no IDE drives installed, but have hit problems....
>
> When prompted during the XP install, I press F6 and load the SIi3112
> drivers from a floppy, which the XP installer accepts and continues
> running, until it has finished the driver install and starts trying to
> write to disk. At this point the install freezes and eventually gives
> me a BSOD with a fatal error warning.
>
> Has anyone installed a fresh XP onto a single SATA drive on this MoBo
> and can tell me what I have missed, or maybe what BIOS settings I
> need?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Danny

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 22, 2005 6:11:29 AM

Slipstream the drivers and then use nLite to build yourself a cd with
exactly what you want. Worked great for me.

"Nocturnal" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I enabled the disk I made sure to have it boot from SCSI as that is
> what the SATA essentially is to the motherboard (yes I know it really
> isn't SCSI but to the mobo it acts like it's the same thing).
> <flibble@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Hi folks....need some help please.
>>
>> I have an ASUS A7N8X-e MoBo which has happily been running XP on an
>> IDE drive.
>>
>> I am now trying to do a fresh XP install onto a new Seagate 160Gb SATA
>> drive (no IDE drives installed, but have hit problems....
>>
>> When prompted during the XP install, I press F6 and load the SIi3112
>> drivers from a floppy, which the XP installer accepts and continues
>> running, until it has finished the driver install and starts trying to
>> write to disk. At this point the install freezes and eventually gives
>> me a BSOD with a fatal error warning.
>>
>> Has anyone installed a fresh XP onto a single SATA drive on this MoBo
>> and can tell me what I have missed, or maybe what BIOS settings I
>> need?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Danny

March 24, 2005 6:07:14 AM

You do have the SATA jumper on the mobo enabled, right?

TomC

!